• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Unless that's a "per page" estimate I am wondering how he got to that number. lol 

It doubled in the minutes before it went live from $36k to $72k and then jumped again to $90k, so a very nice showing. Congrats!!

Yeah. That's nuts. I estimated between $15K and $20K per page. That's how I got my $75K-$100K estimate range. 

49 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

lol 

Well, the blue chip mainstream stuff today is doing great (and that crumb was gold plated blue chip underground material)...we'll see tomorrow how much that extends into more niche parts of our hobby.  I'm still pessimistic (about my lots...I'm sure everyone else's will do great). :( 

That said, these stunning Marvel prices (both here and in other recent HA sales, and also dealer sales this year) make me think that people need to wake up and realize that we're not in 2014 anymore.  Can you imagine the ridicule someone would have gotten if they put a $288K price tag on that FF Ann. 2 splash on their dealer wall?  Or $90K for the Byrne PPSS cover?  A lot of people told me that I was crazy to think that the ASM #299 cover was a $150-175K piece, and that it shouldn't be more than $125K.  And yet, it was rumored to sell for around $200K (!!) at SDCC.  

All of which is to say:  I may try to start moving some of my better mainstream art at prices that I think they're worth.  I've already recently turned down two comp-shattering offers for one of my better mainstream pieces.  Throw out the comps, the market for the better pieces is higher than where most people think it is. :preach: 

I hate the fan the flames of price speculation and "comic art as investment" sentiment, but I think you are right on that last statement.  I've also gotten real, honest offers on some of my quality art that crush comps.  I didn't sell, but it did get my attention.

2 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I hate the fan the flames of price speculation and "comic art as investment" sentiment, but I think you are right on that last statement.  I've also gotten real, honest offers on some of my quality art that crush comps.  I didn't sell, but it did get my attention.

I wish I had art in that category to sell. :facepalm:

15 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Def. room on that one. Hasn't been a panel page this nice up for auction in a few years. 

ASM #10 is known as being one of the weakest issues if not the weakest issue of the Ditko run.  That being said, this was a particularly nice action page from it!

Just now, cloud cloddie said:

Am I missing something on that, or is it just one of the few Valiant grails out there?

Bloodshot movie coming out next year.  Plus, ex-Valiant chief is buying up art, and there's a longtime first appearance collector in the hobby...would not be at all surprised if those two duked it out for this cover and if it would otherwise have sold for, say, half to 2/3rds of where it did.

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Movie coming out starring Vin Diesel.

I’d think a Vin Diesel adaptation would lower the price. :devil:

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Bloodshot movie coming out next year.  Plus, ex-Valiant chief is buying up art, and there's a longtime first appearance collector in the hobby...would not be at all surprised if those two duked it out for this cover and if it would otherwise have sold for, say, half to 2/3rds of where it did.

Yeah, I figured the movie + first app + BWS was gonna drive it up. Just not that much. :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Are you referring to Jim Shooter? Does he have the cash to buy up art? LOL!

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Are you referring to Jim Shooter? Does he have the cash to buy up art? LOL!

No, Dinesh S.  He's producing films now, including Bloodshot

Just speculation on my part that he and Tom Fish were involved in the bidding.  I'm usually more often right about these things than not, though.  I mean, I predicted Richard Evans was going to buy that Action cover back in the day (when I barely knew him and had zero interactions with him) and I'm not sure even he knew he was going to buy it when I made that prediction. Because I'm that good, :censored:!!! :devil:  

Edited by delekkerste

18 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

No, Dinesh S.  He's producing films now, including Bloodshot

Just speculation on my part that he and Tom Fish were involved in the bidding.  I'm usually more often right about these things than not, though.  I mean, I predicted Richard Evans was going to buy that Action cover back in the day (when I barely knew him and had zero interactions with him) and I'm not sure even he knew he was going to buy it when I made that prediction. Because I'm that good, :censored:!!! :devil:  

brush.gif.0bd87cdeaebd2d3e9793868cabdc078c.gif

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

lol 

Well, the blue chip mainstream stuff today is doing great (and that crumb was gold plated blue chip underground material)...we'll see tomorrow how much that extends into more niche parts of our hobby.  I'm still pessimistic (about my lots...I'm sure everyone else's will do great). :( 

That said, these stunning Marvel prices (both here and in other recent HA sales, and also dealer sales this year) make me think that people need to wake up and realize that we're not in 2014 anymore.  Can you imagine the ridicule someone would have gotten if they put a $288K price tag on that FF Ann. 2 splash on their dealer wall?  Or $90K for the Byrne PPSS cover?  A lot of people told me that I was crazy to think that the ASM #299 cover was a $150-175K piece, and that it shouldn't be more than $125K.  And yet, it was rumored to sell for around $200K (!!) at SDCC.  

All of which is to say:  I may try to start moving some of my better mainstream art at prices that I think they're worth.  I've already recently turned down two comp-shattering offers for one of my better mainstream pieces.  Throw out the comps, the market for the better pieces is higher than where most people think it is. :preach: 

Shut up and sell me your Groo!

58 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

What's crazy to me, is that just two years ago, it sold for 22.7. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/barry-windsor-smith-bloodshot-1-cover-and-preliminary-artwork-original-art-group-of-2-valiant-1993-total-2/a/7169-93209.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I don't think it would have sold for less, this time around. 

7 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Maybe, but, the bidding stalled around $13-14K hammer and then what appeared to be two bidders duked it out up to where it ended.  Keep in mind that most 2-year flips don't end up making money with the original winner no longer in the bidding mix. 

Take one of the two top bidders out of the mix and I suspect it would have gone for high teens to mid-$20Ks.  Just my opinion. 2c