• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

That Ploog Ghost Rider 9 cover going for 30k (36k with juice) makes me happy because I love vintage Ploog, and this was a nice one.  My buddy consigned this one and I grossly under guessed my estimate because I  always think the Ploog market is fairly niche, but I was pleasantly surprised that nice art is rewarded with a solid auction result.

Your friend must have bought it from me..as i sold it  about 10-15 years ago I think?

I Like vintage 70s Ploog art more now than I did back then....

22 minutes ago, romitaman said:

Who would have ever guessed that a Romita ASM battle page would sell for more than a Ditko ASM all out battle page!?!?!?

The half splash top of page and 2 giant panels did it. Plus I suspect someone got their finger stuck on the bid button.

Factor in fatigue of seeing pages from 10 become available over and over....

I thought Ditko page would make 100 K

I thought Romita page would make 50 K

So.... what pages did you win today Mike? 

5 minutes ago, grapeape said:

The half splash top of page and 2 giant panels did it. Plus I suspect someone got their finger stuck on the bid button.

Factor in fatigue of seeing pages from 10 become available over and over....

I thought Ditko page would make 100 K

I thought Romita page would make 50 K

So.... what pages did you win today Mike? 

Isn't ASM 41 also the first appearance of Rhino?

29 minutes ago, romitaman said:

Your friend must have bought it from me..as i sold it  about 10-15 years ago I think?

I Like vintage 70s Ploog art more now than I did back then....

Correct Mike.  He bought it from you in that time frame.  And yeah, my love of vintage Ploog has grown, not receded.

Kirby still the King. FF Annual 2 pages and Cap 103 Cover just outstanding quality and the final bids reflect that.

I was the under bidder on FF Annual 2  page 12 which went for 24 K with BP. I stopped because that wasn’t even my favorite page. Page 11 and the splash “forget about.” But page 10...when he smashes the mirror. Wow!!!

The Killing Joke page wow

STONED AGAIN ALL HAIL CRUMB(worship)

Byrne Spectacular Spider-Man cover:/

Edited by grapeape

(this is a response to Mike's post above which didn't copy) 

When the long-term demographic cycle turns, our hobby will enter into long-term secular decline, of that I have little doubt. 

It can get a whole lot crazier in the meantime, though, as we have been seeing. Like I said last year in my Felix Comic Art podcast appearance, we're living in the Golden Age of OA Collecting.

Let's all enjoy it while it lasts. :cloud9:

Edited by delekkerste

24 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

When the long-term demographic cycle turns, our hobby will enter into long-term secular decline, of that I have little doubt. 

It can get a whole lot crazier in the meantime, though, as we have been seeing. Like I said last year in my Felix Comic Art podcast appearance, we're living in the Golden Age of OA Collecting.

Collecting original comic art is escapism for this demographic. For most of us.

Stop bringing us down with your reasonable deduction. I’m sure what we saw today is going to last forever.

:/

797A8F5D-7DC6-4587-95F2-B4C232B9E250.jpeg.d2bd922e281a76a92971d5216232973b.jpeg3E88FF2E-4F7C-4724-8137-9BFC212AEDA3.jpeg.0794b1fd2d332b92ed59a3af17b6a102.jpeg

Upload
Edited by grapeape

25 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

One piece that surprised on the downside was the Starlin Capt. Marvel cover.  When I look at it my gut says 75-80k, but I am so fond of classic Starlin Capt Marvel and Warlock that I might be seeing it through a nostalgic haze.

Honestly, I look at the CM 32 cover as the first draft of, uh, another Starlin cover that I like better.  You?

starlin cm 32.jpg

Starlin: "Really Good at Manspreading."

strangetales178cover.JPG

strangetales178cover.JPG

Edited by glendgold

14 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Honestly, I look at the CM 32 cover as the first draft of, uh, another Starlin cover that I like better.  You?

starlin cm 32.jpg

Starlin: "Really Good at Manspreading."

strangetales178cover.JPG

strangetales178cover.JPG

The similarities weren't lost on me for sure.  Hey, I'm consistent in what I like, right??? lol 

27 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

You mean the golden age of oa sales?

After considering the results of these sales, will the predominant affect on later sales in this auction be to:

(a) have soaked up so much money, that they will stay relatively low;

(b) have freed up underbidders’ available funds, thereby driving up prices later; 

(c) have little or no impact because the sub-markets at lower price points mostly involve different buyers; or

(d) WTF do I know?

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

After considering the results of these sales, will the predominant affect on later sales in this auction be to:

(a) have soaked up so much money, that they will stay relatively low;

(b) have freed up underbidders’ available funds, thereby driving up prices later; 

(c) have little or no impact because the sub-markets at lower price points mostly involve different buyers; or

(d) WTF do I know?

F all of the above.......

On 8/12/2019 at 3:54 PM, batman_fan said:

Round 2 for this piece. Sold on ComicConnect not that long ago. Just checked. Hammered at $19,200

I should mention it is a pretty spectacular piece.  I really like it but having a champagne taste on a generic beer budget prevented me from pursuing it.  :sorry:

Doubled the comic connect number!