• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

I have a bit of a vested interest, yet I found very surprising that both Sal's Cap and Kane's Thor covers ended up higher than the Avengers cover by Kirby. I wonder if this is due to i) good quality of the Buscema and Kane covers (both really good IMHO), ii) a bit of fatigue by Kirby investors after the Cap cover and the FF Annual stuff, and given the Silver Surfer pin-up coming right after (excellent piece, congratulations to the buyer?), iii) the Avengers cover not being from a peak Kirby period.  I guess a combination of all the above is probably the right answer.

I'm not surprised about the Kane Thor cover - it's such a striking image that I knew that there would be a slugfest to take it home, even if nobody really cares about that particular book otherwise. 

I am surprised that Sal B covers are beating out Kirby '70s covers, though.  I guess it's due to the relative supply (in terms of flow, i.e., the amount of material that hitting the market - as opposed to stock, i.e., the quantity extant).  I have to believe that, despite the belief among some that image/content/characters trump the artist these days, for the long-term, I'd have a hard time believing that the Kirby isn't a better bet.  Then again, I am most definitely not in the camp that argued recently that, longer-term, people won't differentiate between Batman being drawn by various different artists...I think the artist will always matter a lot to people in this hobby.  

15 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

. . .  I found very surprising that both Sal's Cap and Kane's Thor covers ended up higher than the Avengers cover by Kirby.

+1.  That Avengers 158 may have been the best long term "bargain" in the entire Platinum session.

Just now, Ironmandrd said:

+1.  That Avengers 158 may have been the best long term "bargain" in the entire Platinum session.

Could be, but given the era for Kirby from which it comes (1976-77) will always have it lagging behind other Kirby from more desirable eras in his career. But with the rising tide of cover art prices and cover art prices from lesser artists (even if it's from their better eras) will always make this cover compare favorably so I think it was well bought too. 

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
11 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

Could be, but given the era for Kirby from which it comes (1976-77) will always have it lagging behind other Kirby from more desirable eras in his career.

Yeah, not all Kirby is created equal.

I'm not a fan of Kirby's mid-70s Marvel work at all.

19 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The GA Detective panel with Catwoman. Sold a CC for $18k and resold on HA for over $30k

Beyond that price differential, there's more to testify to how terrible CC is as an art platform: I was in SD when someone brought that page over to Heritage.  The bigwigs in the booth all looked at it in astonishment, as it is a great page, and there was excited discussion of how much it might be worth -- because not one of them had seen it before. 

15 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Beyond that price differential, there's more to testify to how terrible CC is as an art platform: I was in SD when someone brought that page over to Heritage.  The bigwigs in the booth all looked at it in astonishment, as it is a great page, and there was excited discussion of how much it might be worth -- because not one of them had seen it before. 

What’s CC?  (shrug)

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

What’s CC?  (shrug)

ComicConnect :gossip: 

No comments on today's art session yet??  It's underway already if that sort of thing is of interest to people here... :whistle: 

That Red Sonja cover was awesome looking. I was hoping for it, but it zoomed by what I was comfortable spending at this moment. I have no idea what the expected hammer price was - did it go above or below what people expected? It was $32,400 with the premium.