• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Michael (OML)1 said:

It is because it is a published piece and the description failed to note it is from the Heroes & Villains book --

HA usually updates stuff on line if the consigner has a problem with it.  But if you know this is accurate, it's still a weird thing to happen on the day of the auction.  They had a month to take care of that.

30 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Im hearing this from someone close to HA.  

Heritage's phones and internet went down.  So HA stopped the auctions.

System back up.

5 minute warning before going back live.

NNEEEAAALLLL!!!!

47 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

My two Romita Jr consignments had a strong showing during live bidding, but they still ended at the very lowest of FMV. Could have done much better moving the pieces on my own.

$16.8k seems about right for the SM #83 interiors, judging from my sale of another JRJR book.

Hopefully you came out way ahead too, considering these things only cost mid-4 figures in 2017 (thumbsu

My last two lots today did well enough to ensure that I end up in the black overall, with one small piece left to go off tomorrow.  Unless that one unexpectedly outperforms, I will probably end up netting a profit of about 6-8% on the group, with a weighted-average holding period of around a decade (if @vodou was dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave). Relative to expectations, I'd say that my lots as a group performed about 15% below what I thought was a realistic number.  Which is not great, but, was within the expected range of outcomes.  

Congrats to the new owners...

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

So far, not good on my consignments:

4% loss on my Enric Vampirella painting (held since 2003)

19% loss on my Jose Gonzalez Vampirella complete story (held since 2008), which is a classic story.  Sold well below the break-up value, didn't even clear $1K a page.  Some dealer will have the splash priced at $5-$10K soon enough I'm sure.  I should have just broken it up myself.  Extremely unhappy about this result. 

50% loss on my Jose Gonzalez color piece (held since 2003).  This does not spark joy.

Buy what you like only works as a strategy if you like what everybody else likes apparently. :( 

Breakup value aside, classic Vampi just doesn't resonate with today's collectors.  The other issue is that other Vampi collectos are also in sell mode.

9 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I look at it this way. Save the receipts and they get a tax free windfall (I think, or does the basis reset)

I think it’s a basis reset, although, when it comes to this stuff, I expect it doesn’t show up anywhere reportable.

7 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think it’s a basis reset, although, when it comes to this stuff, I expect it doesn’t show up anywhere reportable.

As long as you sell art for Bitcoins, nothing is reportable.

Right?

:)

51 minutes ago, O. said:

$16.8k seems about right for the SM #83 interiors, judging from my sale of another JRJR book.

Hopefully you came out way ahead too, considering these things only cost mid-4 figures in 2017 (thumbsu

Nope, that's pretty strong content and should have closed slightly over $20K. 

and nope again, did not get this for mid-4 figures :tonofbricks: