• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I was pretty surprised at some of the final hammers.  Most were over by 30-50% from where I had them.

You're losing it, P-Nutz! 

On the whole, I thought the Peanuts prices looked very comparable to where they've been over the previous couple of auction cycles.  They really only look high compared to what appear to now be stale comps from 9-12 months ago or longer. 

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

On the whole, I thought the Peanuts prices looked very comparable to where they've been over the previous couple of auction cycles.  They really only look high compared to what appear to now be stale comps from 9-12 months ago or longer. 

I need too update my database with the numbers but I think the trend is still up in general.

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

This auction were mostly Peanuts from the 50's and 60s , earlier auctions had more recent ones. Schulz sweet spot is his work from 60s and into the 70s.

3 hours ago, Grant Turner said:

I think you’re right. Two years ago WW DD pages were going for 30-40k. Now that the market is getting saturated, prices seemed to have settled down

I think those price levels refer more to the red costume materials.  Somehow the earlier issues with the Yellow costume seem to command lower slightly prices, even though they are (reportedly) Wood pencils as opposed to Powell / Wood.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

My last two lots today did well enough to ensure that I end up in the black overall, with one small piece left to go off tomorrow.  Unless that one unexpectedly outperforms, I will probably end up netting a profit of about 6-8% on the group, with a weighted-average holding period of around a decade (if @vodou was dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave). Relative to expectations, I'd say that my lots as a group performed about 15% below what I thought was a realistic number.  Which is not great, but, was within the expected range of outcomes.  

Congrats to the new owners...

Since you are in such a generous money-losing mood, can I get my UXM page back? I can kick in 6%. I mean I don’t want it to be a total loss for ya.

:idea:

The most glaring results have been commented, but there were some other very strong results, in my mind:

- FF 83 page USD26400.  Great looking page, but no FF!  This and the Amazing Adventure splash show that the Inhumans are viewed as a hot Kirby property.  I wonder whether these strong result will unlock some demand for the BBolt half splash from FF 59

- Brunner Dr Strange page USD13200.  I don't recall a Brunner interior page going that high.  Silver Surfer and Valkyrie premium?

- Byrne MTU page USD 9300.  Great run, but still quite strong price for this particular page

- Severin Dr Strange page USD7200.  Another great looking page without the main character.

In general, it looks like quality of the image is getting appreciation by collectors.

On the other hand, I expected more for the McFarlane SM splash (USD36000).  Impact of faded inks?

20 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

On the other hand, I expected more for the McFarlane SM splash (USD36000).  Impact of faded inks?

Faded inks and it's been available publicly (auction and/or dealer site) I want to say at least a couple of times in recent memory.  Plus, it's up almost 80% in just 2 years (sold in Nov. 2017 at HA for $20.3K), so, $36K doesn't seem like an underperformance to me! 

As an aside, I say "recent memory" about this and many other pieces that have been sold/resold, even though in many cases, it's now been several years or longer.  That said, in this hobby, a piece can be off the market for a decade or more and still not regain its freshness, as people have long memories.  I mean, if the oft-maligned ASM #155 cover hit the auction block again, I bet many long time collectors' initial reaction would be "oh no, not this one again", even though the reality is that it's been off the market for around a decade!  That said, it would be fresh to a new crop of collectors, to be sure. 

Edited by delekkerste

6 hours ago, Grant Turner said:

I think you’re right. Two years ago WW DD pages were going for 30-40k. Now that the market is getting saturated, prices seemed to have settled down

I think this is it - the market may have satiated enough pent-up early demand that now prices are settling into a more normalized range.

The red costume/yellow costume delineation doesn't seem to be a factor.  Looking at the HA archives, there is no clear sign of either yellow costume or red costume pages being clearly more valuable than the other.  In fact, if anything, the yellow costume pages seem to be a bit more valuable given that more red costume pages have sold and there is a wider dispersion of results there.  But, the top result is for a yellow costume page, and there are several others among the top results (and almost all of the lowest results are red costume Powell/Wood pages).  

7 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

This auction were mostly Peanuts from the 50's and 60s , earlier auctions had more recent ones. Schulz sweet spot is his work from 60s and into the 70s.

I defy anyone to look at the hard data and tell me that the Peanuts results in this auction were meaningfully stronger than the results we've seen earlier this year. There are plenty of results in the same timeframe that have fetched similar numbers and, while many would prefer his later '60s/'70s work, the historical data shows that the market values the '50s and earlier '60s strips somewhat comparably in many cases.

In any case, P-Nutz's estimates should in no way have been off by 30-50% unless he got caught in a time warp this past week and ended up back in 2013!  If there's any difference at all between the results in this sale and the last couple (which were also very strong), it's negligible:

Nov. 2019 auction:

1-20-80 (Sunday):  $30K

2-5-67 (Sunday): $48K

5-29-56 (daily): $15.6K

7-30-59 (daily): $20.4K

8-8-61 (daily):  $15.6K

2-8-63 (daily): $25.2K

9-20-65 (daily):  $21.6K

1-12-66 (daily):  $36K

11-8-68 (daily):  $26.4K

6-3-77 (daily):  $10.2K

August 2019 auction:

9-24-58 (daily):  $31.2K

1-4-62 (daily):  $26.4K

11-22-67 (daily):  $25.2K

2-12-69 (daily):  $24K

4-3-69 (daily):  $28.8K

4-5-71 (daily):  $25.2K

8-5-78 (daily):  $25.2K

5-20-85 (daily):  $28.8K

1-18-59 (Sunday):  $60K

May 2019 auction:

8-6-55: (daily):  $26.4K

11-3-55 (daily):  $31.2K

10-20-70 (daily): $22.2K

10-25-89 (daily):  $38.4K

9-16-96 (daily):  $26.4K

12-30-62 (Sunday):  $66K

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I defy anyone to look at the hard data and tell me that the Peanuts results in this auction were meaningfully stronger than the results we've seen earlier this year. There are plenty of results in the same timeframe that have fetched similar numbers and, while many would prefer his later '60s/'70s work, the historical data shows that the market values the '50s and earlier '60s strips somewhat comparably in many cases.

In any case, P-Nutz's estimates should in no way have been off by 30-50% unless he got caught in a time warp this past week and ended up back in 2013!  If there's any difference at all between the results in this sale and the last couple (which were also very strong), it's negligible:

Nov. 2019 auction:

1-20-80 (Sunday):  $30K

2-5-67 (Sunday): $48K

5-29-56 (daily): $15.6K

7-30-59 (daily): $20.4K

8-8-61 (daily):  $15.6K

2-8-63 (daily): $25.2K

9-20-65 (daily):  $21.6K

1-12-66 (daily):  $36K

11-8-68 (daily):  $26.4K

6-3-77 (daily):  $10.2K

August 2019 auction:

9-24-58 (daily):  $31.2K

1-4-62 (daily):  $26.4K

11-22-67 (daily):  $25.2K

2-12-69 (daily):  $24K

4-3-69 (daily):  $28.8K

4-5-71 (daily):  $25.2K

8-5-78 (daily):  $25.2K

5-20-85 (daily):  $28.8K

1-18-59 (Sunday):  $60K

May 2019 auction:

8-6-55: (daily):  $26.4K

11-3-55 (daily):  $31.2K

10-20-70 (daily): $22.2K

10-25-89 (daily):  $38.4K

9-16-96 (daily):  $26.4K

12-30-62 (Sunday):  $66K

lol Gene, Gene, Gene, one dimensional analysis at its very best.  For Peanuts strips you have to do a complete apple to apple comparison.  Just looking at numbers tells you nothing.  You have to bin by year, character and content.

21 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

lol Gene, Gene, Gene, one dimensional analysis at its very best.  For Peanuts strips you have to do a complete apple to apple comparison.  Just looking at numbers tells you nothing.  You have to bin by year, character and content.

I'd agree. A Charlie Brown/Snoopy strip will outperform a Linus strip all day every day. It's like saying the cover to ASM #22 and #23 are worth the same because they came out a month apart! Apples and oranges!

3 hours ago, Carlo M said:

- Severin Dr Strange page USD7200.  Another great looking page without the main character Dr. Strange fighting his arch-rival Baron Mordo in 2 of the 3 panels.

Fixed that for you Carlo! :hi:

Drstrange.jpg.9d19d34171f20c5cc9e91c65250d7f27.jpg

I lost out on Page 6 (all panels) when it sold for $11k (Heritage) in May, so I'm thrilled to get this 1/2 splash for much less. xD

5 hours ago, Carlo M said:

- Brunner Dr Strange page USD13200.  I don't recall a Brunner interior page going that high.  Silver Surfer and Valkyrie premium?

Speculation on a "Defenders" appearance in the next Dr. Strange movie? (shrug)

The Valkyrie, Hulk, Silver Surfer have all been introduced in various movies.  Why not bring them together and introduce a new trilogy featuring a new super team? :idea:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Riiiight, because all of the strips in this auction were inferior examples and the previous auctions were all great content. :eyeroll:

Nope, sorry, stop digging guys. There's certainly no kind of quality gap that would explain why your price expectations were stuck in 2013. :baiting: