• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Breakup value aside, classic Vampi just doesn't resonate with today's collectors.  The other issue is that other Vampi collectors are also in sell mode.

I don't know if classic Vampi doesn't resonate with today's collectors, but, I would wager that few have read the source material so that is definitely a problem, not just for '70s-era Vampi, but, also for a lot of other niche/genre characters/titles/artists from the era. 

As for other Vampi collectors also being in sell mode, I think that's an overgeneralization.  I sold a 5-figure cover to one such off-the-radar collector just this week.  I recently turned down a very sizable offer for my best Vampi cover from another big Vampi collector.  And probably the most active Vampi collector over the past decade still is buying all the time despite telling me like 20x over the past few years that he's done! 

BTW, I can't believe that terrible 2005-era Gonzalez color Vampi piece (I think it's one of those that was deemed to be so bad that people were recently questioning its authenticity, though, it was later confirmed to be real) beat out my prime period 1982 Gonzalez color piece from yesterday's sale.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 11/23/2019 at 5:51 PM, Timely said:

I had 4 items that ended today that should have hammered between $5000-6000. They hammered at $3600 so I actually lost money. This is why I rarely do auctions!

i feel your pain. i took a bath and i wasnt even dirty. Private sales and an ebay life for me. 

Edited by dirtymartini1

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I don't know if classic Vampi doesn't resonate with today's collectors, but, I would wager that few have read the source material so that is definitely a problem, not just for '70s-era Vampi, but, also for a lot of other niche/genre characters/titles/artists from the era. 

As for other Vampi collectors also being in sell mode, I think that's an overgeneralization.  I sold a 5-figure cover to one such off-the-radar collector just this week.  I recently turned down a very sizable offer for my best Vampi cover from another big Vampi collector.  And probably the most active Vampi collector over the past decade still is buying all the time despite telling me like 20x over the past few years that he's done! 

BTW, I can't believe that terrible 2005-era Gonzalez color Vampi piece (I think it's one of those that was deemed to be so bad that people were recently questioning its authenticity, though, it was later confirmed to be real) beat out my prime period 1982 Gonzalez color piece from yesterday's sale.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

It gets even more bizarre. The Gonzalo Mayo triptych hammered at $6600 with the juice. You seem to have had much of the same bad luck I had in my last sale through Heritage when I set all time low records for more than 50 items. I know it won’t make you feel any better at all, but I was the high bidder on your Gonzalez color piece. I’ll be putting it next to this one. 

FF9B6968-6D2C-49A4-A271-268473E85673.thumb.jpeg.5dd4300aa6dc9cc1e49e0b398e62bd05.jpeg

I was also shocked that the other color piece in the auction sold comparably in price to your clearly superior offering..

Edited by Stevemmg

55 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I was interested in this splash but had no idea what it would go for so I got blown out of the water.  It is the 1st Brother VooDoo I remember seeing.

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 8.41.34 PM.png

Seems about right, based on a ST #169 panel page with Jericho and Daniel in the BV garb that I recently bought.

6 hours ago, Timely said:

I had 4 items that ended today that should have hammered between $5000-6000. They hammered at $3600 so I actually lost money.

The last day of the Signature auctions is always a bit of a krapshoot because bidders are often fatigued by then, or people are just so focused on the glamour pieces that they forget that there's still a third day.

If I had stuff that Heritage was going to stick on the last day, I'd just as soon put it in one of their weekly auctions.  What is considered to be the dregs of the Signature auction will likely be one of the gems of the weekly auction and get more attention accordingly.

6 hours ago, Timely said:

This is why I rarely do auctions!

You need to consult with Burkey. 

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:
6 hours ago, grapeape said:

Punishment bids ruin true FMV......and Comps...doh!

signed...

IVE DONE IT TOO.:roflmao:

Why do it at all? Besides, an engaged bidder may drop out on you, leaving you with the highest bidder status.

Presumably people don't submit punishment bids beyond what they're actually willing to pay.  If they do, then they're taking a gamble for the reasons you mention.  

But generally, sometimes I'll know that there is at least one bidder who is really focused on a piece and is willing to pay more than me for the piece.  If I don't bid at all because I know I'm not going to win anyways, then he might end up getting it for a song and still have a lot of dry powder left to compete with me on a piece that I really do want.  So I'm going to make sure that he has to at least outbid my maximum price for the piece. 

I may ultimately not be a factor at all because there's at least one other bidder going after it who drives the price up further than my punishment bid.  Or I may have miscalculated his interest and I end up winning it, but what's the downside because I won the piece at a price I was willing to pay.  But what's not going to happen is that one of my competitors will win a piece for cheap (or at least what I perceive to be cheap). 

6 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Presumably people don't submit punishment bids beyond what they're actually willing to pay.  If they do, then they're taking a gamble for the reasons you mention.  

But generally, sometimes I'll know that there is at least one bidder who is really focused on a piece and is willing to pay more than me for the piece.  If I don't bid at all because I know I'm not going to win anyways, then he might end up getting it for a song and still have a lot of dry powder left to compete with me on a piece that I really do want.  So I'm going to make sure that he has to at least outbid my maximum price for the piece. 

I may ultimately not be a factor at all because there's at least one other bidder going after it who drives the price up further than my punishment bid.  Or I may have miscalculated his interest and I end up winning it, but what's the downside because I won the piece at a price I was willing to pay.  But what's not going to happen is that one of my competitors will win a piece for cheap (or at least what I perceive to be cheap). 

A7810817-2226-47B7-993F-E5CF652F1100.jpeg.a650436af1eba8a6eb74b79a2ed57908.jpeg

Absolutely! Strategy strategy strategy!!!

On 11/22/2019 at 12:19 AM, pinupcartooncollector said:

Me!  You've neglected to mention the Bill Ward contribution!

I really gotta ask John Romita about that when I see him next..... in 30 years collecting ASM art...this is the VERY first time i've EVER heard of Bill Ward working on the ASM 41 story! LOL

6 minutes ago, romitaman said:

I must confess...I bought the ASM Romita 41 page.....I Had to do it...... As i now only need 1 more page to complete the book....And I think I know where it's at!!!  LOL

WOW congratulations Mike. Now.....will the owner of the missing piece to the puzzle play along???

3 minutes ago, romitaman said:

I really gotta ask John Romita about that when I see him next..... in 30 years collecting ASM art...this is the VERY first time i've EVER heard of Bill Ward working on the ASM 41 story! LOL

I thought the credit to Bill was a mistake to be honest. Please let us know what John says.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:32 PM, glendgold said:

Here's something you don't  generally see 30 minutes before an auction:1825515364_ScreenShot2019-11-22at10_27_45AM.thumb.png.8f73962e7ae9c2b2bf3ad8100840caed.png

I actually own John Romita Sr's fully inked art to this piece. I always assumed the Romita I have was ALL ROMITA DRAWN and just based on Jack's penciled art but I never knew for sure.

Now I wonder if their auction piece wasn't full art and got pulled? (Just guessing of course)

Mike