• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

It has the classic Hulk look

What it has is that super vintage Kirby style, but before he went all angular, with the sharper & more severe linework his work veered into in his later years.
It's Kirby, but it's what I've always thought of as "soft-Kirby". It's the comic art sweet spot for Kirby's style IMO. Strong enough that you'd recognize it a mile away, and yet not so KIRBY as to take your head off.  :)

Edited by ESeffinga

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Needs more Trimpe.

or more Sal hm

That goes without saying.

Seriously, no one should say it.

Ba-dum-bum!  Thank you folks, I'll be here all night!  Don't forget to tip your waiters!

16 hours ago, comix4fun said:

That's just about the prettiest thing I've seen all day. My goodness. 

I've looked at this pinup maybe a dozen times because something felt 'off' to me and it was driving me nuts until I realized the Hulk only has one thumb and three fingers on each hand.  :idea:

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

I've looked at this pinup maybe a dozen times because something felt 'off' to me and it was driving me nuts until I realized the Hulk only has one thumb and three fingers on each hand.  :idea:

Yes, that was Jack's original design for the Hulk. Karloff Frankenstein's Monster head, and three fingers on each hand....Jack designed him with animation in mind from accounts. So, not off like an error, as it was meant to be different. 

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Yes, that was Jack's original design for the Hulk. Karloff Frankenstein's Monster head, and three fingers on each hand....Jack designed him with animation in mind from accounts. So, not off like an error, as it was meant to be different. 

Hi, Chris.  I think it's an error in this instance.  Looking back to the early Hulk covers, including the cover to Hulk 1, we see Kirby's Hulk with four fingers and a thumb for each hand.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hi, Chris.  I think it's an error in this instance.  Looking back to the early Hulk covers, including the cover to Hulk 1, we see Kirby's Hulk with four fingers and a thumb for each hand.

This is actually Jack's original design for the character. Before Hulk 1's 4 fingered Hulk. If the choice is between jack making a mistake, and giving reference that this was his original character design that it wasn't a new piece, drafted for the annual and he then made an error (on both hands) that got by inking, editors, and then into publication, but possible it was instead a reused piece, that could predate Hulk 1 in its creation (thus the three fingers).

Given the usage of three fingered Hulk in FF 12 and other issues later on and the pinups reference to FF 12 that is far more likely than a Jack "mistake" or a old piece being re-purposed for publication. 

Edited by comix4fun
Clarifying to remove confusion.

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

This is actually Jack's original design for the character. Before Hulk 1. There's a great chance, given that this was his original character design that it wasn't a new piece, drafted for the annual and he then made an error (on both hands) that got by inking, editors, and then into publication, but was instead a reused piece, that predated Hulk 1 in its creation and was re-purposed to be used as a pin up in Annual #1.

Pre-dated Hulk #1?  If it can be confirmed, that would certainly add significance to this piece, along with corresponding increase in value, right? 

20 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

This is actually Jack's original design for the character. Before Hulk 1. There's a great chance, given that this was his original character design that it wasn't a new piece, drafted for the annual and he then made an error (on both hands) that got by inking, editors, and then into publication, but was instead a reused piece, that predated Hulk 1 in its creation and was re-purposed to be used as a pin up in Annual #1.

Wait what? Really?

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Pre-dated Hulk #1?  If it can be confirmed, that would certainly add significance to this piece, along with corresponding increase in value, right? 

No idea. Without something more concrete I am not sure how anyone would feel comfortable placing a premium on it.  The design itself, with three fingers, for sure pre-dates Hulk #1. But, Hulk was known to have three fingers than four, depending on the book.....then there's the issue with his toes. lol 

But given Jack's affinity for the character and both Jack and those that knew Jack being on the record regarding the original three-fingered design, combined with the Karloff face, it makes more sense that (if it's a choice between a Jack error and  the piece being re-purposed for pin-up purposes ) that we go with re-purposed. 

If he had put 4 fingers on one hand and 3 on the other, boom, mistake. 

But this? This piece looks like it was exactly how Jack wanted it to look. 

Of course...Marvel seemed to waffle on how many of each (fingers and toes) he had. So we could be back to this piece (the Heritage Pin-Up) being a contemporary piece, created for the annual, but with exactly the number of fingers Jack intended. 

This pin up (being in FF and referencing issue #12) the cover to FF 12 might give us a hint as to why Hulk has three fingers....but gives us no help as to why he has 5 toes on each foot in that pinup.

hulkff12.thumb.jpg.c96227463d60132b1949ae7fc84175f8.jpg

Edited by comix4fun

Just now, glendgold said:

Wait what? Really?

Jack had Hulk with 3 fingers (and a thumb) when originally designed. I remember something about discussing the use of Hulk in animation or some such. 

So I can't believe this is a Jack error, it's either an re-purposed older piece or a piece drawn for the annual and it's exactly how Jack meant it to be with those number of fingers. 

Of course, there's a "How many toes does the Hulk have?" that Jack seemed to flip flop on pretty often judging by those early Marvels as I noted. 

Edited by comix4fun

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Jack had Hulk with 3 fingers (and a thumb) when originally designed. I remember something about discussing the use of Hulk in animation or some such. 

Of course, there's a "How many toes does the Hulk have?" that Jack seemed to flip flop on pretty often judging by those early Marvels as I noted. 

Huh. Unless there's some reference I haven't heard about (totally possible) I just don't think the FF annual 1 pin up was drawn for anything other than the FF Annual.  Jack was insanely inconsistent -- just try counting toes on The Thing in early issues.  FWIW, there are four fingers on the cover of Hulk 1, and 5 toes on one side and 73 on the other. When Brodsky (or whoever) redrew the bottom half for TTA  59, it was less ambiguous.

kirby brodsky hulks.jpg

hulk 1.jpg

Just now, glendgold said:

Huh. Unless there's some reference I haven't heard about (totally possible) I just don't think the FF annual 1 pin up was drawn for anything other than the FF Annual.  Jack was insanely inconsistent -- just try counting toes on The Thing in early issues.  FWIW, there are four fingers on the cover of Hulk 1, and 5 toes on one side and 73 on the other. When Brodsky (or whoever) redrew the bottom half for TTA  59, it was less ambiguous.

Right, maybe I wasn't clear. I was saying this wasn't a "mistake" by Jack. That Jack designed Hulk originally with 3 fingers. And the piece in question does not look, in any way, like Jack was asleep when drawing it that he'd make that mistake. So if the choices are "Jack made a mistake" or "This is an older piece used in the annual" to explain the three fingers that I go with the latter. But only if those are our choices. The third choice "Jack drew this exactly how he wanted to for the annual, and it wasn't a mistake" makes the most sense when you see that the pinup references Fantastic Four #12 and those three fingers show up on the cover to FF #12 as well. 

Too nice to be a mistake. Too much history of Jack and the three fingered Hulk for it not to be intentional. The FF12 cover reference points me towards why he looks the way he does in that pinup. 

21 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

No idea. Without something more concrete I am not sure how anyone would feel comfortable placing a premium on it.  The design itself, with three fingers, for sure pre-dates Hulk #1. But, Hulk was known to have three fingers than four, depending on the book.....then there's the issue with his toes. lol 

But given Jack's affinity for the character and both Jack and those that knew Jack being on the record regarding the original three-fingered design, combined with the Karloff face, it makes more sense that (if it's a choice between a Jack error and  the piece being re-purposed for pin-up purposes ) that we go with re-purposed. 

If he had put 4 fingers on one hand and 3 on the other, boom, mistake. 

But this? This piece looks like it was exactly how Jack wanted it to look. 

Of course...Marvel seemed to waffle on how many of each (fingers and toes) he had. So we could be back to this piece (the Heritage Pin-Up) being a contemporary piece, created for the annual, but with exactly the number of fingers Jack intended. 

This pin up (being in FF and referencing issue #12) the cover to FF 12 might give us a hint as to why Hulk has three fingers....but gives us no help as to why he has 5 toes on each foot in that pinup.

hulkff12.thumb.jpg.c96227463d60132b1949ae7fc84175f8.jpg

Also interesting to note that the Thing has 3 fingers and a thumb on each hand, and three toes on each foot...exact same number of digits as the Hulk on this cover, anyway.

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Also interesting to note that the Thing has 3 fingers and a thumb on each hand, and three toes on each foot...exact same number of digits as the Hulk on this cover, anyway.

I noticed that...I wonder if that influenced the final look....or if he figured he'd save some time and amputate. 

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I think there is zero chance is pre-dates Hulk 1.   2c

You're most likely right. It was only brought up as a possibility because Yoram noted that from Hulk 1 forward Hulk had the regular number of fingers, and thus thought it was a mistake by Jack. Given that three fingers is how Jack envisioned the character from creation, I made mention of that earliest version of the character (before Hulk #1's version), as an alternative to it being an error by Jack. 

But now that we see that the pinup, which references FF #12, matches the three fingered look of the cover of FF 12 that's the most likely reason for it.