• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:
On 8/23/2019 at 2:21 AM, tth2 said:

Which is ironic because J cured the blind, while SB made people want to blind themselves.

Ouch, that one is going to leave a mark :cry:

I was just joking, as it was Sal's successor on Captain America, Frank Robbins, who was the artist that made me want to blind myself.

As someone who started collecting Cap with issue #149, and also collected the Defenders, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Sal.

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

I was just joking, as it was Sal's successor on Captain America, Frank Robbins, who was the artist that made me want to blind myself.

As someone who started collecting Cap with issue #149, and also collected the Defenders, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Sal.

I was never a fan of Frank Robbins either.  He sort of had a GA artist feel in my opinion.

Just now, batman_fan said:

I was never a fan of Frank Robbins either.  He sort of had a GA artist feel in my opinion.

Yeah, a bad GA artist. 

I only realized in later years that he was trying to mimic Milton Caniff's style, but he couldn't pull it off.  To this day, I don't know what possessed Marvel to hire an old artist like him and put him on Cap.  Surely there were fresh young artists that deserved a shot.  Marvel also put him on the Invaders, which drove me off that title. 

I don’t mind being a casual lone dissenter on this one, and I’ll confess I’m probably not familiar enough with Frank Robbins’ Marvel work to have an opinion there, but a lot of his work on the Johnny Hazard strip was amazingly cool and stylistic from my perspective. Not always, but he had some doozies when he was on.

In fact, I see a similarity to Robbins’ Hazard Art in Andrew Robinson’s work, when he came along. And him I quite like as well.

Sal, not so much at any stage.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

casual lone dissenter

You may remain the casual lone but not the lone dissenter. I hated Robbins. Until I didn't, and it was Johnny Hazard that turned it around for me. Once I got that (mentally, but also many dailies and Sundays into my collection), all the other work fell into place. It was a matter of understanding the architecture underneath the zaniness. Robbins is excellent on Cap and Invaders, his Red Skull and Nightshade panels in particular. I have always enjoyed being one of the few, the proud, the Frank Robbins Collectors...as that's what's allowed me to buy them up cheaply, quietly, for decades. I don't ever need the crowd to follow me into this tranche, raising values tenfold, because then I'd just be tempted to sell. No thanks; still cheap and mine is just fine :)

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, a bad GA artist. 

I only realized in later years that he was trying to mimic Milton Caniff's style, but he couldn't pull it off.  To this day, I don't know what possessed Marvel to hire an old artist like him and put him on Cap.  Surely there were fresh young artists that deserved a shot.  Marvel also put him on the Invaders, which drove me off that title. 

Ditto for me

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Ditto for me

Robbins had a jittery, energetic style that I appreciated, but I couldn't forgive him for this -- he had a thing for drawing characters spitting.  And when they spat, a FOUNTAIN always came out. It was his version of #Eisnerspritz. 

I utterly hated FR as a kid, but over time I have come to appreciate what he was trying to do, certainly a different take from the then prevailing Marvel style, and also from the new stable of artists like Brunner, Ploog etc.  Not to the point of wanting to buy his OA though, so not to worry, no upward pricing  pressure from this side. 

23 hours ago, glendgold said:

Robbins had a jittery, energetic style that I appreciated, but I couldn't forgive him for this -- he had a thing for drawing characters spitting.  And when they spat, a FOUNTAIN always came out. It was his version of #Eisnerspritz. 

lol So true.

His Johnny Hazard work was just a cheap imitation of Caniff, and his Marvel work was a cheap imitation of his Johnny Hazard work.

22 hours ago, grapeape said:

Caniff is DeGrom 13k through 7 and driving in the only run with a HR

FR is Familla the gas can. So much promise but usually falls short of getting the job done.

I still don’t get this random inability to score runs. How the hell does this team of all manage to have their top 5 of rotation go 1/27?! Just murdering folks for weeks, then blown out like a candle when needed.

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I still don’t get this random inability to score runs. How the hell does this team of all manage to have their top 5 of rotation go 1/27?! Just murdering folks for weeks, then blown out like a candle when needed.

I wish I gave a you-know-what about baseball But I don't.

However...in about two weeks it is TOM DOMINATES SEASON again :)

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The Braves curse man....

Chipper Jones - Smoltz-Maddux in the 90's now swept at home with new monsters like Freddie and Acuna.....The Met's have put together a great second half run. Their abysmal bullpen and first half of baseball  left them with a huge hill to climb. 32 games left it feels like they have to finish 23-9 to squeak in the playoff.