• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

umm, 1964 was a leap year, so everyone has to re-calculate their positions on this debate (I don't give a flying squirrel myself) And you call yourself NERDS. what a bunch of amateurs....:baiting:

I think that’s because the March issue dates coincided with December release dates, so the March 1964 date is actually December 1963...falling before the leap year February date could occur.

Back to the page up for auction.  Yes it has Spiderman in every panel, but I don't think it represents a primo page for a Ditko. $100k all in seems high to me but not crazy high and given how prices have been lately probably to out of the realm especially given it has been a while since one auctioned off.  For my taste,I like these two pages much more which hammered quite a bit lower but that was a while back.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 11.25.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 11.26.04 AM.png

I like the page at auction better than those two tbh.   The first one, while nice, has small images of Spidey (although the dynamic webslinging is cool).   The second one has that goofy beetle character. 

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I like the page at auction better than those two tbh.   The first one, while nice, has small images of Spidey (although the dynamic webslinging is cool).   The second one has that goofy beetle character. 

What happened to you?  You use to be so cool and hip!  And for what it is worth, the Beetle is probably the single coolest villain ever created :sumo:

Okay, maybe not but I have a certain fondness for the character since the 1st comic I ever got for my collection was Daredevil 33 which featured the Beetle.  Still trying to find a nice page or the splash from that issue.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Back to the page up for auction.  Yes it has Spiderman in every panel, but I don't think it represents a primo page for a Ditko. $100k all in seems high to me but not crazy high and given how prices have been lately probably to out of the realm especially given it has been a while since one auctioned off.  For my taste,I like these two pages much more which hammered quite a bit lower but that was a while back.

There is usually a premium added to 1/3rd Ditko splash pages, all things being equal!

The HA page is a really decent all out action Spidey page, however most people I've talked to think #10 is a bit of a dud issue.

My gut is that page is going to get there. Just seems like the right time. It’s going to be an outstanding auction.

2 minutes ago, Timely said:

There is usually a premium added to 1/3rd Ditko splash pages, all things being equal!

The HA page is a really decent all out action Spidey page, however most people I've talked to think #10 is a bit of a dud issue.

I have mentioned the fatigue factor as ASM 10 pages seem to have recirculated for sale repeatedly since the break up of that issue. 

The 1/3 splash has taken pages over the threshold but I think this one with no splash has arrived at the right time. 

Well see.....

2 minutes ago, Timely said:

No Ditko Spidey page has been to auction in this country for over a year! There have been some private sales recently and every Spidey action page has sold in the 100-200k price range.

That’s great insight. Thank you I’m not privy to the private sales so that’s excellent info to consider. I would be curious to know how much trade factored into the $100-$200 K ? Still legit but cash is what makes me take notice.

On the strength of 

1) quality action SPIDEY panels

2) Steve Ditko passing away

3) lack of publicly offered examples

I believe we can see $100 K 

Is it November yet ?

What happened to you?  You use to be so cool and hip!  And for what it is worth, the Beetle is probably the single coolest villain ever created :sumo:

Okay, maybe not but I have a certain fondness for the character since the 1st comic I ever got for my collection was Daredevil 33 which featured the Beetle.  Still trying to find a nice page or the splash from that issue.

I personally like the Beetle. Comics were meant to be fun. Hope you find a page.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:42 AM, glendgold said:

Interesting. I see pencils on the HA piece -- most obviously in the places that look to have been changed on your poster. Occam's Razor (or Glen's Not-So-Smart Razor) suggests that when they were about to print the poster, they noticed the pencil marks and so added some ink to give it a better contrast.  Same with Jack's signature, which probably would have looked blotchy, given the production values of the day.  I think there's one version of this piece, what HA is selling, and there probably was a stat somewhere with some reinking on it.  That's just a hunch, but it seems the most likely possibility.

AHA!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-silver-surfer-pin-up-original-art-1978-/p/7212-97006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

From the description:

Jack Kirby rendered the pencils for this pin-up for use as the back cover of a late 1970s publication Kirby Masterworks. Roz Kirby sprayed these pencils with a fixative to keep them from smudging. For that publication, Joe Sinnott lightboxed the pencils to produce the inks. Later, he went back and inked these actual Kirby pencils.

So there IS a lightboxed version, too.

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

AHA!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-silver-surfer-pin-up-original-art-1978-/p/7212-97006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

From the description:

Jack Kirby rendered the pencils for this pin-up for use as the back cover of a late 1970s publication Kirby Masterworks. Roz Kirby sprayed these pencils with a fixative to keep them from smudging. For that publication, Joe Sinnott lightboxed the pencils to produce the inks. Later, he went back and inked these actual Kirby pencils.

So there IS a lightboxed version, too.

Makes sense - the poster AND the back cover of the Masterworks book look the same and slightly different from the HA auction.  But it is important to know that there is only one penciled version and that that is the one which is being auctioned.  Strictly speaking it is not "published".  Oh well it is just semantics, is it not? It does look spectacular.

On a a separate but related topic, Avengers 158 cover is up!  One of the best covers Kirby did for Marvel in the '70s, possibly second only to FF200, IMHO.  Thoughts on final hammer price?