• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

This is the literal first published appearance of Judge Dredd (non promotional image). It's now up for auction. The Ezquerra promotional art from the first page of this story is a stat. Would love to find that OA.

Original Comic Art:Complete Story, Mike McMahon 2000 AD #2 J...

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I wsa wondering about that.   So that page 1 motorcycle is a stat.  bummer.   The rest of the story is sharp though.

This is a weird one. I'd have to go back and see how they promoted the story, but the image may just be of a generic Judge rather than Dredd, per se. Note that the badge he's wearing just says "Judge'  and not "Dredd" as well. Also, in the story context, it could be argued that the Judge on the Motorcycle on the first page isn't Dredd, but Judge Alvin, whom "Whitey" the bad guy, kills. Judge Alvin was riding a Motorcycle when he was shot. If the Judge on the Cycle image was not promoted as the Judge Dredd feature, but just a generic story character, then the image of Dredd standing next to the Grand Judge is the official, bona fide first Judge Dredd appearance ever published. In any case, it's a hell of a thing to see up for auction.

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This is a weird one. I'd have to go back and see how they promoted the story, but the image may just be of a generic Judge rather than Dredd, per se. Note that the badge he's wearing just says "Judge'  and not "Dredd" as well. Also, in the story context, it could be argued that the Judge on the Motorcycle on the first page isn't Dredd, but Judge Alvin, whom "Whitey" the bad guy, kills. Judge Alvin was riding a Motorcycle when he was shot. If the Judge on the Cycle image was not promoted as the Judge Dredd feature, but just a generic story character, then the image of Dredd standing next to the Grand Judge is the official, bona fide first Judge Dredd appearance ever published. In any case, it's a hell of a thing to see up for auction.

I hear you.  I think regardless of the context of teh story the market would like a big ghost rider like wheelie entrance like that to be OA.   As you said, amazing lot either way.

23 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The literal first published story appearance of Judge Dredd is up for auction. The only previous appearance was Carlos Ezquerra’s promotional drawing of Dredd on his motorcycle. Dredd doesn’t appear on the cover of 2000 AD prog 2. 

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=2

So....$75K to $100,000 for the full story is probably accurate. 

And I think the Dredd on the cycle in the pages up for auction is a stat of that promotional drawing, which is a bummer as Bronty said.   

Edited by comix4fun

35 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Funnily enough, in yesterday's paper...

@Bronty @PhilipB2k17

2000ad.thumb.jpg.5fda24f418e0e4bbd63eb2f4cdcb9466.jpg

The article is a little off on the value of a copy of Prog #2. I sold a high grade copy for several times their estimate more than 5 years ago. 

The cover art to Prog 204 (which is what he's talking about having just sold) is TREMENDOUS! 

2000AD-204-Cover-McMahon.thumb.jpg.36915157f09a173ae04cfd0996f211f4.jpg

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

The article is a little off on the value of a copy of Prog #2. I sold a high grade copy for several times their estimate more than 5 years ago. 

I'm sure. It's not my area of expertise at all, I just saw it in the paper yesterday and thought you guys might like to see it. I never really got into 2000AD as a kid. But I do remember one issue that I purchased that had a sad robot in it which made me feel sad too. It's funny what sticks with you. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm sure. It's not my area of expertise at all, I just saw it in the paper yesterday and thought you guys might like to see it. I never really got into 2000AD as a kid. But I do remember one issue that I purchased that had a sad robot in it which made me feel sad too. It's funny what sticks with you. 

Appreciate the posting. I am sure a lot of guys in the states missed that auction. That's a great McMahon cover. 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

And I think the Dredd on the cycle in the pages up for auction is a stat of that promotional drawing, which is a bummer as Bronty said.   

Yeah. We discussed that. I can see some British creators or comics fans biding this one up. So, it could bust $100K. But I’ll stick with my estimate. 

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. We discussed that. I can see some British creators or comics fans biding this one up. So, it could bust $100K. But I’ll stick with my estimate. 

It's got an intrinsic historic factor that could really make all estimates fly out the window. 

We've seen single pages of B-C-D level characters go bananas at auction, so I can imagine this story could be just as nuts. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's got an intrinsic historic factor that could really make all estimates fly out the window. 

We've seen single pages of B-C-D level characters go bananas at auction, so I can imagine this story could be just as nuts. 

Yeah. I apologize for publicizing it so much, as I bet you and a few others here were hoping it’d fly a bit under the radar. :nyah:

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. I apologize for publicizing it so much, as I bet you and a few others here were hoping it’d fly a bit under the radar. :nyah:

Well, it is at heritage, absent a mysterious outage right when the live bidding hits....

903086384_knockonwood.gif.2af9eaf70da51f584486de87a6c1fad8.gif

the competition will be hot and heavy regardless. 

49 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Its not going for 50 (IMO).   I'd think about paying that and I'm never competitive on stuff like this.

Which suggests to me a 3x bronty multiplier FMV of 150 :kidaround:     ......which is an awful lot for five pages, but I'll stick with that guess

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

GBP or USD? I ask because that ratio has moved 25% in the last five years, in favor of the dollar.

10 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Any guesses on the 2000 AD #2 (First Judge Dredd 5 page story appearance)?

I'm a massive Dreddhead, so this is grail territory for me. But, how will this play in a US comic art auction? I regard this as the Amazing Fantasy #15 interior art pages of British comic art.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/mike-mcmahon-2000-ad-2-judge-dredd-first-appearance-complete-5-page-story-original-art-ipc-total-5-/p/7212-234003.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Whoa!  Thanks for flagging this!  I hadn't even noticed it.

Duly tracking now. (thumbsu

14 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Any guesses on the 2000 AD #2 (First Judge Dredd 5 page story appearance)?

I'm a massive Dreddhead, so this is grail territory for me. But, how will this play in a US comic art auction? I regard this as the Amazing Fantasy #15 interior art pages of British comic art.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/mike-mcmahon-2000-ad-2-judge-dredd-first-appearance-complete-5-page-story-original-art-ipc-total-5-/p/7212-234003.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Weren't these pages just offered on CAF (or maybe FB) a week or so ago?

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

It’s possible. But I regularly scan those sources, and I didn’t see them. Maybe someone posted them on Facebook to point out that they were up at Heritage? 

5 hours ago, Nexus said:

Yes. It was either Art Droids or Brit comics or something like that. They had prices on individual pages but said to email form a price on the whole thing. Trying to recall pricing - I think pages ranged 9-17k per page depending on the page  if anyone here has a clearer memory - feel free to post.