• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I was getting nearly 300 a page for average content Butler Sable this auction. I have been doing well with them for a while, its one of those niche things that a few guys go after.

If you don't live in NYC or someplace HA has offices, you can always just meet one of their rep's at a convention and do a hand off there. Part of the reason I do the NJ art show 2x a year, besides seeing all the art and making some purchases, is that I can just hand my material off (after an inventory session) at the end of the show. It really saves a lot of money, especially if you have like 200-300 pieces.

Good to know thx

10 minutes ago, Tatterdamillion said:

I don't mind the Zeck cover. Its not his finest work but it is at least Zeck and Captain America. To think that even a primo Steven Butler Silver Sable cover could equal the value of a left handed Zeck cover (not sure if he is right handed) is basically new math.

I think results up to about 5k represent price points the average guy can handle and so there’s a little less rigor in the comparisons.    The higher up you go the less that will happen

21 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think results up to about 5k represent price points the average guy can handle and so there’s a little less rigor in the comparisons.    The higher up you go the less that will happen

Oh for sure. I am mainly being snarky, as I find the SS cover to be a bit "busy" for my tastes visually, and a bit "spendy" for my finances. Though if you want a great "Sandman" piece for under 10K then here you have it.

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Agree. As the cosigner of the Silver Sable cover (and the maligned Vampy Triptych :shy: by the way), I sense a strong market for $4-5k Marvel 90s covers.  The SS #19 cover with Venom sold on eBay for $4600, prompting my consignment.  I don’t pretend to compare the Vampy triptych with classic Enric 70s Vampirella art, but perhaps it has appeal to modern collectors— painted in color, poster-size with intricate details like skulls, castles and bats.   Both were fresh to market as well and I had 3k and $2500 offers over the summer but held out believing FMV was higher.  

Initially, I was disappointed that HA placed both in the Sat session (not Live auction) but a dozen or so Sat lots ended up selling $5k+ along with these two.  Is $5k the new $2k (shrug) where folks can buy/bid without guilt or over-analysis?

4 minutes ago, Bill C said:

They do not currently take paypal.

I could have swore they did in the past, but at this time no.

And yes, they did enact a 2.9% fee (I think) for credit card use.

At least we know how they are paying for server and security upgrades.

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

I called today.. they did as of a couple weeks ago. They are getting a slew of complaints from what the account rep said. Hopefully if they get enough complaints they will rethink it. 

11 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I called today.. they did as of a couple weeks ago. They are getting a slew of complaints from what the account rep said. Hopefully if they get enough complaints they will rethink it. 

I imagine they are. Its like airline pricing now, charge for this, and that and that, etc. Would it be psychologically easier if they just said the bp is 30% inclusive of shipping and all fees and taxes (what it basically is for me). Its not like their rates ever made sense anyway.  

4 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I imagine they are. Its like airline pricing now, charge for this, and that and that, etc. Would it be psychologically easier if they just said the bp is 30% inclusive of shipping and all fees and taxes (what it basically is for me). Its not like their rates ever made sense anyway.  

For me they risk losing business.. because my paypal credit line was great for making large spur of the moment purchases with 0% for 6 months - buy now figure it out later.

I made my first purchase through a heritage auction.  Normally I buy through comiclink.  I have to say I got the full HA experience when it came time to pay.  My winning bid of $550 became $660 with the premium (which to be fair was made obvious to me on the bid page), then came the $21 shipping, then the $41 state tax, then the $18 credit card tax.   Giving me a nice big $740 total, another $80 on top of the $660.  Now you're probably thinking well if you bought that book on comiclink you'd probably be paying all the same fees and I'd have to say you are probably right about that.  There's also ways around the tax and the credit card fees but honestly it is all just more work and stress than is worth dealing with.  $20 here, $20 there, it all keeps adding up.  I think I'm going to be avoiding these auction houses for a while and sticking to old hard cash with my local dealers and regional shows. 
When it comes down to it, I just like comiclink more for some reason.  I did enjoy sitting there watching people go back and forth biding eachother up on seemingly random books.  With comiclink, putting in one single bid and having a success or failure moment at the last second is a more enjoyable rush to me.  If you desperately need to win a bidding war against something HA seems better for that scenario.  I didn't like that I've heard people complain HA can bid on their own items so you never really know who that other person you are bidding against is.  I think this book got ran up to it's maximum and I fully expected that.  I don't know what it shows at in GPA currently if anyone wants to gander, but I think the $850 on gocollect might be a little high.  Last ebay sale was $680.  

Well anyway here's the fun one I got.  Looking forward to seeing this guy in a film some day. 

8IF5czd.jpg

6 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Agree. As the cosigner of the Silver Sable cover (and the maligned Vampy Triptych :shy: by the way), I sense a strong market for $4-5k Marvel 90s covers.  The SS #19 cover with Venom sold on eBay for $4600, prompting my consignment.  I don’t pretend to compare the Vampy triptych with classic Enric 70s Vampirella art, but perhaps it has appeal to modern collectors— painted in color, poster-size with intricate details like skulls, castles and bats.   Both were fresh to market as well and I had 3k and $2500 offers over the summer but held out believing FMV was higher.  

Initially, I was disappointed that HA placed both in the Sat session (not Live auction) but a dozen or so Sat lots ended up selling $5k+ along with these two.  Is $5k the new $2k (shrug) where folks can buy/bid without guilt or over-analysis?

Nice sale and great insight! Not trying to krap on the sale just all things being equal, I was surprised that the two covers could possibly garner the same results.

10 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I was getting nearly 300 a page for average content Butler Sable this auction.

6 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

As the cosigner of the Silver Sable cover (and the maligned Vampy Triptych :shy: by the way), I sense a strong market for $4-5k Marvel 90s covers. The SS #19 cover with Venom sold on eBay for $4600, prompting my consignment.

Those crazy Millennials and their zany tastes :insane:

Butler SS was a surprise this auction - these pages were pure sub-$100 drek couple years back! And the SS #19 cover looks great value now, considering the Venom Tax is way higher than any Sandman/Sable tax. Always regretted not going harder after the Venom half-splash on eBay.

7 hours ago, Bill C said:

The new fees were part of the negotiated ransom with the Russian  hackers so buyers will input their bank account info instead,...

:jokealert: (I hope)

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

10 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I made my first purchase through a heritage auction.  Normally I buy through comiclink.  I have to say I got the full HA experience when it came time to pay.  My winning bid of $550 became $660 with the premium (which to be fair was made obvious to me on the bid page), then came the $21 shipping, then the $41 state tax, then the $18 credit card tax.   Giving me a nice big $740 total, another $80 on top of the $660.  Now you're probably thinking well if you bought that book on comiclink you'd probably be paying all the same fees and I'd have to say you are probably right about that.  There's also ways around the tax and the credit card fees but honestly it is all just more work and stress than is worth dealing with.  $20 here, $20 there, it all keeps adding up.  I think I'm going to be avoiding these auction houses for a while and sticking to old hard cash with my local dealers and regional shows. 
When it comes down to it, I just like comiclink more for some reason.  I did enjoy sitting there watching people go back and forth biding eachother up on seemingly random books.  With comiclink, putting in one single bid and having a success or failure moment at the last second is a more enjoyable rush to me.  If you desperately need to win a bidding war against something HA seems better for that scenario.  I didn't like that I've heard people complain HA can bid on their own items so you never really know who that other person you are bidding against is.  I think this book got ran up to it's maximum and I fully expected that.  I don't know what it shows at in GPA currently if anyone wants to gander, but I think the $850 on gocollect might be a little high.  Last ebay sale was $680.  

Well anyway here's the fun one I got.  Looking forward to seeing this guy in a film some day. 

8IF5czd.jpg

When it comes to comic books my biggest problem with CLink vs Heritage is CLink doesn’t take the time to scan back covers on auction items...that’s a very big turn off to me. I have never been a fan of writing on comic books so I’m not thrilled to get a book with writing on the back cover.