• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Is there a secret version of HA.com ??  I can't find that Batman 251 listing.   I mean just to track it because I'll be blown out of the bidding.

Yes, it's The Cabal-only version of the HA.com website available only on the Dark Web. So, you will need to download the Tor browser in order to access it, and then send 10 Bitcoins to Jim H for a Dark Web only HA username and password. 

It's totally worth it, though - last month they sold the unpublished Ditko AF 15 cover on their Dark Web platform and, if you thought the Glynn Crain auction was long, the Dark Web Hulk 181 cover sale has been going on for-ev-errrrrrr... 

Edited by delekkerste

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

They are adding some amazing stuff, Killing Joke page I believe

killingJoke.jpg

Yep, that's page 10. The page right after mine. 

They sold the page right before mine recently too....

If I had gone for that I would have a shot at putting together a three page sequence....and living in a van down by the river. 

I don’t want your “thanks” notification so much Chris, I want your pm saying you’re selling it to me way below fmv in consideration of my long standing appreciation for the piece hm

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, Will_K said:

Is there a secret version of HA.com ??  I can't find that Batman 251 listing.   I mean just to track it because I'll be blown out of the bidding.

Not sure how you are trying to see it but it is the November auction. I haven’t figured out how to see it in their phone app but if I go to HA.com in safari I can get to it. Select view all then browse the November auction 

6E7EACE7-5DDC-4D31-81B5-1E9FD29B180C.png

C9227CD0-D030-421D-828B-02F9CE554D50.png

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Its in the miscellaneous section

Found it.  Thanks, JJ. 

Has anyone ever pulled a lot from HA or other online auction ?? 

I'm asking based on chatter on these boards.  There's a lot of talk about what something could/would/should go for.  And it's just talk until the lot closes.  Does anyone know of any instances where someone sent something to the auction and listened to the chatter to get a better idea of price and then pull the lot ??  I assume you'd have to pay HA a listing fee.  But you'd save on the commission... or avoid seeing a piece end up going for a lot less than expected. 

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Batman 251 guess: 600k

600, really?   That seems so steep to me.    It will be an interesting auction though for sure .    

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

600, really?   That seems so steep to me.    It will be an interesting auction though for sure .    

it's potentially the most admired/desired Neal Adams cover, one of the top contenders for best DC cover of the 1970s, and one of the best Batman and DC covers, period.  I'd be surprised if it hammers for anything less than $400K ($480,000 with the juice), while I wouldn't be shocked by anything up to $600K hammer ($720,000 with the juice), frankly. 

The problem in my view is that there is really only one criteria for pricing it... Is it more or less valuable (adjusted for today's bull) than the GL 76 cover? Because there is a WIDE gap in the public sales to the next Adams down from there. (Have there been any private six-figure sales of Adams pieces?)

The next jump down in the HA records is the Batman 222 Beatles cover at $78K. So Beatles bump there? And then down again to 55K for Det 407.

Against it, I've always found the Batman figure on it a touch wonky. And it doesn't have the historical significance of the GL 76 cover (which spun comics in a socially-conscious direction.)

On the plus side, it is the book that, imo, saved Batman from the trash heap. (I know, I know. New Look. But this had a much more lasting effect.)

I don't see this exploding like say a Romita Spidey cover. The Batman buyer pool is a bit smaller than that. $210K was the number that popped into my head when I saw it.

^ that’s the approach I took (comparison to GL76) but figured Batman so people will over it up to 400.   

At 600,700, boy that feels insane to me hey , Batman, Joker, so maybe not. 

Agree that The cover is a bit wonky which is why I’ve personally never held the cover in as much esteem certain other Adams covers.   Just goes to show the actual rendering is usually secondary.  

Edited by Bronty

5 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

The problem in my view is that there is really only one criteria for pricing it... Is it more or less valuable (adjusted for today's bull) than the GL 76 cover? Because there is a WIDE gap in the public sales to the next Adams down from there. (Have there been any private six-figure sales of Adams pieces?)

The next jump down in the HA records is the Batman 222 Beatles cover at $78K. So Beatles bump there? And then down again to 55K for Det 407.

Against it, I've always found the Batman figure on it a touch wonky. And it doesn't have the historical significance of the GL 76 cover (which spun comics in a socially-conscious direction.)

On the plus side, it is the book that, imo, saved Batman from the trash heap. (I know, I know. New Look. But this had a much more lasting effect.)

I don't see this exploding like say a Romita Spidey cover. The Batman buyer pool is a bit smaller than that. $210K was the number that popped into my head when I saw it.

1.  Yes, there have been private 6-figure sales of Adams pieces, including a fairly recent one last year.

2.  This one should be way more valuable than the GL 76 cover.  Pinnacle of Neal Adams Batman > First Neal Adams GL/GA with some historical importance.  

3.  Batman #222 and the like are not relevant to the discussion IMO.  Good comps are other A+, marquee trophy pieces.  Let's throw out the ASM #328 aberration, but, many people would take the Batman #251 cover over the Hulk #180 last page ($657K), more than the GL #76 cover ($442K), more than the DKR #2 cover ($478K), DKR #3 splash ($448K), etc., and it wouldn't even be close.  That said, when you get up to these kinds of price levels, you never know, especially if one of the potential big buyers may be the consignor (I don't know anything, just spitballing on that point) and out of the running.  Still, $400K hammer ($480K all-in) I think is a safe bet for the floor, and the upside has the potential to surprise.

4.  Speaking of comps, I would just add as a general point, that comps need to be adjusted for (a) time and (b) quality.  In a rising market, comps that are a year or two or three (let alone longer) may be stale.  And, by definition, in a rising market, record new highs above what the comps show should be expected All. The. Time!  And, then there's the matter of adjusting for quality, especially for true marquee pieces like the Batman #251.  Same would go for BWS Conan - there's been no public comp for a cover that's even reached 6-figures, but, would anyone doubt that, if Conan #24 hit the market, it wouldn't fetch at least 2 1/2 times the highest public sale price at a bare minimum?  The highest Byrne X-Men comp at auction is $204K for the #137 DPS, but, throw out the comps, as the #137 and #141 covers are probably candidates to hit $750K nowadays. 2c

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

^ that’s the approach I took (comparison to GL76) but figured Batman so people will over it up to 400.   

At 600,700, boy that feels insane to me hey , Batman, Joker, so maybe not. 

Agree that The cover is a bit wonky which is why I’ve personally never held the cover in as much esteem certain other Adams covers.   Just goes to show the actual rendering is usually secondary.  

I'm not saying that $600-700K+ doesn't feel high, but, it felt even higher when the Hulk #180 page hit the auction block and it got there,  There's certainly an element of the collecting public that would take the Hulk #180 page over the Bats #251, because Wolverine/Marvel/movies/Hugh Jackman is dreamy/etc., but, from an artistic/creative standpoint, Batman #251 is one of the real high points of comics.  I would disregard any "wonkiness" in the Batman figure and instead focus on the brilliant, memorable composition - the idea/concept, the angles, the menace in the Joker which cements the Batman franchise's image makeover from campy 1960s Adam West to the Dark Knight who battles truly psychotic/dangerous villains like The Joker (not the Cesar Romero version). I would disagree with the assessment that the actual rendering is secondary in this case; I think much of what is celebrated about this cover is the artistic merit, just not the figure rendering you are focused on.   

Couldn’t agree less but it’s all good.   IMO the render is nothing special for peak Adams and the value is all in the batman/joker 'checklisting'.

"I would disregard any "wonkiness" in the Batman figure and instead focus on the brilliant, memorable composition - the idea/concept, the angles, the menace in the Joker which cements the Batman franchise's image makeover from campy 1960s Adam West to the Dark Knight who battles truly psychotic/dangerous villains like The Joker (not the Cesar Romero version). I would disagree with the assessment that the actual rendering is secondary in this case; I think much of what is celebrated about this cover is the artistic merit, just not the figure rendering you are focused on.   "

Edited by Bronty