• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

they’re not running you up on that FF.   They can only bid on their own auctions up to reserve, where the bids don’t matter anyways.    

if you make a bid in the neighborhood of FMV don’t be surprised if you win it for your max, that’s just FMV.   Bid 2500 for that book and you’re not getting run up to 2500.  At least that’s been my experience as the few times I’ve put an overkill type bid in on a book, I’ve still won it for plus/minus what it’s worth. 

They do tend to sell fancy stuff and yes there are fees.   Nothing wrong with local shows and dealers as you say. 

Nice FF btw; great issue 

Edited by Bronty

The problem with buying key books at a show I’ve found is that a dealer will price a mid-grade book like it’s a high-grade copy, or price it 2-3X more than what you can get it online, or whichever has greater value. Buying on auction or online is often the only chance you have at buying at “FMV,” though fees, taxes, shipping may negate that. It’s all catch-22. 

14 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Initially, I was disappointed that HA placed both in the Sat session (not Live auction) but a dozen or so Sat lots ended up selling $5k+ along with these two.  Is $5k the new $2k (shrug) where folks can buy/bid without guilt or over-analysis?

Not for me, it isn’t. While I would spend $5,000 on something I really wanted, there aren’t very many things I would want that badly. So, since I keep things permanently, I will think twice for anything over $2,000. It gives me headroom to buy more, as I have noticed things I like tend to show up in groups of time, with large gaps in between. This is one of them, dammit. 

On 11/24/2019 at 2:09 AM, romitaman said:

I actually own John Romita Sr's fully inked art to this piece. I always assumed the Romita I have was ALL ROMITA DRAWN and just based on Jack's penciled art but I never knew for sure.

Now I wonder if their auction piece wasn't full art and got pulled? (Just guessing of course)

Mike

The Auction Piece is the actual published pencils by Jack to the Heroes and Legends book.  All of the pencil pieces were later "inked" via overlays or blue-line or lightbox and published in a second book.  I'd wager your  Romita piece is that way as all of the actual Kirby pencil pieces remain as pencil pieces.  The item was pulled because Heritage forgot to note that the item was the actual published Black Panther piece.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:17 PM, Bill C said:

They do not currently take paypal.

I could have swore they did in the past, but at this time no.

And yes, they did enact a 2.9% fee (I think) for credit card use.

Just got an email survey request from HA.  Usually ignore them, but this time decided to take the opportunity to blast them for the PP removal/new CC fee.  rantrant

On 11/26/2019 at 6:27 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Not for me, it isn’t. While I would spend $5,000 on something I really wanted, there aren’t very many things I would want that badly. So, since I keep things permanently, I will think twice for anything over $2,000. It gives me headroom to buy more, as I have noticed things I like tend to show up in groups of time, with large gaps in between. This is one of them, dammit. 

This is a wise strategy. My brother collects like this. He started buying 100’s of interior pages 1996 -2010.

He hit a bump in his life and needed funds. He’d peel off a couple of 3-5 Erik Larsen Spider-Man pages and list on eBay. One sold for $6500 the other $4,000. Presto just like that he covered his financial obligations.

He loves each and every page. But having so many pages like this act as a firewall for his most prized pieces.

I had a similar strategy for the most part but my eye wanders for big fish.

Enjoy your collection Ricky. I’ve seen your CAF gallery and I like your style.

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

This is a wise strategy. My brother collects like this. He started buying 100’s of interior pages 1996 -2010.

He hit a bump in his life and needed funds. He’d peel off a couple of 3-5 Erik Larsen Spider-Man pages and list on eBay. One sold for $6500 the other $4,000. Presto just like that he covered his financial obligations.

He loves each and every page. But having so many pages like this act as a firewall for his most prized pieces.

I had a similar strategy for the most part but my eye wanders for big fish.

Enjoy your collection Ricky. I’ve seen your CAF gallery and I like your style.

That CAF gallery is empty since I don’t want to invite people to make offers. I did, however, just pass on an Alex Ross piece on Catawiki that went, with fees, for about $4k (although, I did come close to going in hard). It was a panel page with somewhat static images of GL and PS. I am not sure why some of his work is so high priced. I appreciate the realism, but that isn’t what makes art great. It is the feeling which it imbues on the viewer. That one left me cold.

Edited by Rick2you2

44 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

That CAF gallery is empty since I don’t want to invite people to make offers. I did, however, just pass on an Alex Ross piece on Catawiki that went, with fees, for about $4k (although, I did come close to going in hard). It was a panel page with somewhat static images of GL and PS. I am not sure why some of his work is so high priced. I appreciate the realism, but that isn’t what makes art great. It is the feeling which it imbues on the viewer. That one left me cold.

Awww Ill miss the art but I understand.

i am an Alex Ross fan from twenty years ago. That is I found his art more pleasing to my eyes heart and soul back then. He’s very talented, but I wouldn’t pay the money people pay for his work. There are many artists who speak more to me personally than Alex.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:48 AM, Jay Olie Espy said:

The problem with buying key books at a show I’ve found is that a dealer will price a mid-grade book like it’s a high-grade copy, or price it 2-3X more than what you can get it online, or whichever has greater value. Buying on auction or online is often the only chance you have at buying at “FMV,” though fees, taxes, shipping may negate that. It’s all catch-22. 

This is why I usually only buy CGC when I buy old books.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

They posted the Hulk splash.  Looks pretty spectacular IMHO

3A5A987A-5042-4B60-AC5B-779739F2CBD2.jpeg

That's just about the prettiest thing I've seen all day. My goodness.