Is this book trimmed?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

34 posts

Avengers #38. Seller stated this was VF/NM and unrestored. I am NOT good at detecting trimming, but is it normal for edges to look this rough?

20190810_113731.jpg

20190810_113738.jpg

20190810_113743.jpg

20190810_113751.jpg

20190810_113759.jpg

20190810_113809.jpg

2,749 posts
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Looks like awful trimming to me.

Not trimmed. Looks like one would expect but it's a dull blade factory cut. Avengers in the 35-40 range seem to suffer a lot from an edge or two being like this. On this one, it's all 3, but only trimmed once; in production, when manufactured.. Ironically, most trimming does not look like this. Trimming usually results in a smoother edge than when manufactured! Most trimmed books start out with edges like this. Rough, or with chips/pre-chips.

Edited by James J Johnson

34 posts

Thank you for the response. Can't believe how bad factory cuts can look. Still not sure this is a VF/NM grade, but I will keep it. 

2,749 posts
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Thank you for the response. Can't believe how bad factory cuts can look. Still not sure this is a VF/NM grade, but I will keep it. 

VF/NM?!? :whatthe: 

No. It's not even in the ballpark of VF/NM. More like out in the parking lot of VF/NM. For reasons other than the rough cut.

2,596 posts
On 8/11/2019 at 12:03 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Note the way minute flaws on the cover line up with more noticeable flaws on the page edges; from a trimming standpoint, it's exactly what you want to see on an untrimmed book. But I'm not convinced it's a VF/NM either...there's quite a bit of color-breaking edge and spine wear for a 9.0. Still, a bright, tight copy... (thumbsu

2,749 posts
41 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Note the way minute flaws on the cover line up with more noticeable flaws on the page edges; from a trimming standpoint, it's exactly what you want to see on an untrimmed book. But I'm not convinced it's a VF/NM either...there's quite a bit of color-breaking edge and spine wear for a 9.0. Still, a bright, tight copy... (thumbsu

As a very wise forum member once posited; "it is what it is", and "that's all that it is", I might add! :acclaim:

3 posts

The stock on most comic books from the 1960’s are covers with coated gloss text and the guts (inside pages) newsprint.  Coated stock absorbs less water than newsprint. Over a period of time the cover and text expands and retracts depending on moisture in the given area. Eventually the cover or text hangs over  and thus gives the appearance that  the comic pages were married/restored. Only a pro with a magnifying loop can determine that they are the originally bind pages. That book has what’s  known as marvel chipping. The correct technical term is that the saddle stitch machine had a dull blade.  Most of the comics from that period were saddle stitch and trim inline off a web press.