• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this book trimmed?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Thank you for the response. Can't believe how bad factory cuts can look. Still not sure this is a VF/NM grade, but I will keep it. 

VF/NM?!? :whatthe: 

No. It's not even in the ballpark of VF/NM. More like out in the parking lot of VF/NM. For reasons other than the rough cut.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:03 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Thank you for the response. Can't believe how bad factory cuts can look. Still not sure this is a VF/NM grade, but I will keep it. 

Note the way minute flaws on the cover line up with more noticeable flaws on the page edges; from a trimming standpoint, it's exactly what you want to see on an untrimmed book. But I'm not convinced it's a VF/NM either...there's quite a bit of color-breaking edge and spine wear for a 9.0. Still, a bright, tight copy... (thumbsu

41 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Note the way minute flaws on the cover line up with more noticeable flaws on the page edges; from a trimming standpoint, it's exactly what you want to see on an untrimmed book. But I'm not convinced it's a VF/NM either...there's quite a bit of color-breaking edge and spine wear for a 9.0. Still, a bright, tight copy... (thumbsu

As a very wise forum member once posited; "it is what it is", and "that's all that it is", I might add! :acclaim:

The stock on most comic books from the 1960’s are covers with coated gloss text and the guts (inside pages) newsprint.  Coated stock absorbs less water than newsprint. Over a period of time the cover and text expands and retracts depending on moisture in the given area. Eventually the cover or text hangs over  and thus gives the appearance that  the comic pages were married/restored. Only a pro with a magnifying loop can determine that they are the originally bind pages. That book has what’s  known as marvel chipping. The correct technical term is that the saddle stitch machine had a dull blade.  Most of the comics from that period were saddle stitch and trim inline off a web press.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:02 AM, The Lions Den said:

Note the way minute flaws on the cover line up with more noticeable flaws on the page edges; from a trimming standpoint, it's exactly what you want to see on an untrimmed book. 

This ought to be overstated: match the cuts on the edge of the cover to the interior pages. This is the way to tell if trimming has occurred: if the edges match up, the book hasn't been trimmed (post-production.) It's one of the reasons the "ragged cuts" of the 60s are so useful: you get a much easier "fingerprint" to tell.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This ought to be overstated: match the cuts on the edge of the cover to the interior pages. This is the way to tell if trimming has occurred: if the edges match up, the book hasn't been trimmed (post-production.) It's one of the reasons the "ragged cuts" of the 60s are so useful: you get a much easier "fingerprint" to tell.

:foryou:

54 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

Does this mean that trimming almost always happens with the covers only, and not the interior pages?

There are trimmed books with only the overhang of the cover trimmed back, and then there are those that are far more aggressively and invasively hacked, where an entire side is cut off, the cover and pages. I'd estimate that I've seen about an equal proportion, 50/50, of both types.