• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two of our own headline Video Game collecting article
1 1

113 posts in this topic

Who buys a video game and does not open it because of the "art" and prefers to ogle it instead of actually playing the game most of which stink?  These are mass produced store leftovers for a very very small audience.  I have an iPhone 1 for sale no scratches for 10k with the box come and get it.  I dont recall ever buying a video game just to keep in the package.  I guess im old now.

14 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Who buys a video game and does not open it because of the "art" and prefers to ogle it instead of actually playing the game most of which stink?  These are mass produced store leftovers for a very very small audience.  I have an iPhone 1 for sale no scratches for 10k with the box come and get it.  I dont recall ever buying a video game just to keep in the package.  I guess im old now.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Who buys a comic book and does not open it because of the "art" and prefers to ogle it instead of actually reading the comic most of which stink?

5 minutes ago, Park said:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Who buys a comic book and does not open it because of the "art" and prefers to ogle it instead of actually reading the comic most of which stink?

I don't.  I read all mine at least once.  Plus your point is moot new comics don't come in shrink wrapped boxes.  Hey whatever floats your boat, I don't care.

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

I don't.  I read all mine at least once.  Plus your point is moot new comics don't come in shrink wrapped boxes.  Hey whatever floats your boat, I don't care.

:facepalm:

You just disparaged anyone who collects video games with an ignorant statement and then backpedal to "I don't care". Bravo.

1 minute ago, jjfversion1 said:

If you don't care then why rain on other's collecting habits ???

Because I can't get my mind wrapped around this particular one.  At least with like Ultima 1 to 7 you get a cloth map.  I'm sorry.  Collect what you want.  I will move along now...

38 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Because I can't get my mind wrapped around this particular one.  At least with like Ultima 1 to 7 you get a cloth map.  I'm sorry.  Collect what you want.  I will move along now...

It is the same concept of preserving a comic book in the form as it was originally produced. You can buy another comic or game  or whatever collectible to consume and enjoy. Some people prefer to have the very best, undisturbed example of any particular item.

I have no desire to own sealed video games but anyone collecting anything, really should be able to understand why people do.

The same fly by, ignorant comments are made about sig series books on this website as well and it is equally as mind numbing.

People collect various things in various ways. Not being capable of understanding that and disparaging it, and you are not alone, is due to either people just not thinking it through or just being wilfully ignorant and proclaiming anything they don't understand as "stupid".

Edited by Park

Great article. I've been interested in video game collecting for a while and have a small library of Sega Genesis games. I constantly fight the urge to expand the collection to other consoles. People have been collecting video games for a long time and it seems like it really started to take off into the mainstream over the last few years. The parallels between comics, toys and video game collecting are definitely there. 

If you had a rare sealed Star Wars action figure would you open it? Would you crack out a high grade X-Men #1 to read? No, you wouldn't. Same thing with video games. If you wanted to play the game you'd find a cheap loose cart to play (a "reader" copy, if you will). Haters gonna hate. 

Edited by Phish&Comics

6 minutes ago, Phish&Comics said:

Great article. I've been interested in video game collecting for a while and have a small library of Sega Genesis games. I constantly fight the urge to expand the collection to other consoles. People have been collecting video games for a long time and it seems like it really started to take off into the mainstream over the last few years. The parallels between comics, toys and video game collecting are definitely there. 

If you had a rare sealed Star Wars action figure would you open it? Would you crack out a high grade X-Men #1 to read? No, you wouldn't. Same thing with video games. If you wanted to play the game you'd find cheap loose cart to play (a "reader" copy, if you will). Haters gonna hate. 

What is worth more? the game or the packaging?  In my life i played a lot of great video games just not so interested lately.  I got this silly thing and no I dd not buy it on Ebay...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_88d.jpg.bdf029f54a73169470ae6ba8569b5f23.jpg

Enjoy what you like... I dont know...

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

What is worth more? the game or the packaging?  In my life i played a lot of great video games just not so interested lately.  I got this silly thing and no I dd not buy it on Ebay...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_88d.jpg.bdf029f54a73169470ae6ba8569b5f23.jpg

Enjoy what you like... I dont know...

Typically, and by no means do I have much more than basic cursory knowledge, it is older sealed video games.

Think NES for the highest value at this point. Same hot points as comics really: rarity and demand. 

I am only repeating what some others who are involved in video games have told me as far as what is valuable/desirable but hopefully some of them chime in on this thread.

Personally, I’m not into video games that much.  I do have the classic NES and SNES that were released a few years ago and play them from time to time.  Collecting sealed games is not my thing.  But, I can definitely see why people get into it.  

Full disclosure, when I started to see a lot of high end comic dealers and collectors get into the graded game market a little while back, I rolled my eyes and thought, “toot, toot!  All aboard the hype train”!  But after thinking about it, it’s really not different than me buying/selling/collecting slabbed books IMO.  

Edited by DocHoppus182
Forgot a thought.

2 minutes ago, Park said:

Typically, and by no means do I have much more than basic cursory knowledge, it is older sealed video games.

Think NES for the highest value at this point. Same hot points as comics really: rarity and demand. 

I am only repeating what some others who are involved in video games have told me as far as what is valuable/desirable but hopefully some of them chime in on this thread.

I bought as a youngster and it was by no means cheap my first computer game I think Ultima 3 and it was EXCELLENT!  It was like 80 buck at the time.  Get that in the cellophane im impressed...

3 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I bought as a youngster and it was by no means cheap my first computer game I think Ultima 3 and it was EXCELLENT!  It was like 80 buck at the time.  Get that in the cellophane im impressed...

Zero clue if any sealed computer games are worth any money but it is pretty cool to think about NES, which were sold in an absolute feeding frenzy, being found sealed for whatever reason. Or Sega. Or Playstation. 

Not a far walk from whatever long ago era of your choice of comic books being found in high grade. Both items were produced to be used and, for the most part, they certainly were.

19 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

But after thinking about it, it’s really not different than me buying/selling/collecting slabbed books IMO.  

Agreed.

At the same time, a large amount of collectors default to value when asked why we collect even if that isn't the reason. And if it isn't the first reason, it seems to be a close second or third.

Which I still find kinda weird. Most of us collect these things because we like them for whatever reason and whatever form and whatever condition they come in. Liking it feels like it should be the only justification but whatevs. Value is am added bonus.

Well, at least for the drek that is in my house. lol

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

See?  You’ve been converted to wanting a sealed ultima 3 in a matter of 12 posts ;)

thanks Shawn.   On the go atm will reply later

Bronty...  I also learned that in this genre you can never go back.  I tried a few times believe me.  Newer is always better almost always...