• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two of our own headline Video Game collecting article
1 1

113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:
1 hour ago, Park said:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Who buys a comic book and does not open it because of the "art" and prefers to ogle it instead of actually reading the comic most of which stink?

I don't.  I read all mine at least once.  Plus your point is moot new comics don't come in shrink wrapped boxes.  Hey whatever floats your boat, I don't care.

And yet you took a hot steaming dump in this thread. Well done. 

source.gif

6 hours ago, esquirecomics said:

My friends Danielle Smith (comic book dealer/collector) and Josh Entin (colleague, co-counsel and esoteric collector extraordinaire) are the stars of this article!

https://kotaku.com/deep-pocketed-collectors-are-fueling-a-retro-game-gold-1837073847

Thanks, Mark!  

3 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Bronty...  I also learned that in this genre you can never go back.  I tried a few times believe me.  Newer is always better almost always...

These takes are older than time.   Forget the sealed aspect and just think about someone collecting out print games from their childhood.    Not that weird.   Now imagine them as an adult appreciating copies in great condition.   Not that weird.    Sealed games is like the top 1% of the marketplace .   Focusing the discussion solely on that is like focusing on a discussion on 9.8s.   It never ends up being a worthwhile discussion because by definition most people prefer the other alternatives at the lower price. 

5 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

And yet you took a hot steaming dump in this thread. Well done. 

source.gif

Hehehehe one of my favorites as a kid...  Thomas Covenant peering over the edge of the Holy Grail and finding it contains a cracked steaming turd...

10 hours ago, GACollectibles said:
23 hours ago, Park said:
On 8/10/2019 at 2:07 PM, porcupine48 said:

Great post Park.

Thanks Jimmers.

I think it needed more cowbell

You need more cowbell.

brick-tamland-steve-carell-awkward-smile-anchorman-2.gif

Ugh, I wish I still had my old NES and SNES games, but all were sold and/or broken years and years ago when I was a kid playing video games everyday. Even had the old school Gameboy, and those older Asian hand held black and white games. If only I had kept em sealed, which was impossible to do as a kid lol. Between myself and my brothers, we had quite a bunch of them.  

On 8/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, Karl Liebl said:

Who buys a video game and does not open it because of the "art" and prefers to ogle it instead of actually playing the game most of which stink?  These are mass produced store leftovers for a very very small audience.  I have an iPhone 1 for sale no scratches for 10k with the box come and get it.  I dont recall ever buying a video game just to keep in the package.  I guess im old now.

It`s just like buying coins or sportscards slabbed.Both those hobbies are huge. Videogame collecting really is a great hobby. I am going to go out in a limb and say it becomes the top collectible hobby in 10 years. Videogames earn more than Hollywood blockbusters now.

VIDEO GAMES EARN MORE THAN DOUBLE THE ENTIRE U.S. BOX OFFICE IN FIRST HALF OF 2018

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/video-games-earn-more-than-double-the-entire-us-box-office-in-first-half-of-2018

The video game business is outpacing the movie business in direct-sales revenue in the U.S., and it’s not even close. In the first half of 2018, video games (including mobile games) outsold the American box office by more than double, according to a new report from market research firm The NPD Group.

In the first six months of this year, NPD reports the U.S. game industry collected $19.5 billion in overall sales. Set against the $8.1 billion total gross collected by the 584 movies listed among the domestic films charted so far this year (as in, all the way through August) by Box Office Mojo, and it’s a striking contrast.

It might actually be a good time to get into videogame collecting because they really haven't had a videogame movie hit yet that was critically acclaimed. Once they run out of comic book movies we will find the videogames characters will be next in line for Hollywood.

^ well you can mark that on your calendar .   The Illumination people (despicable me, minions, secret life of pets) are working on a Mario movie right now.   2022 release IIRC.   Hard to see that combination of character and studio being anything but a massive hit and if it goes as expected I’m sure they will roll out the other characters, sequels , etc etc

Edited by Bronty

32 minutes ago, Bronty said:

^ well you can mark that on your calendar .   The Illumination people (despicable me, minions, secret life of pets) are working on a Mario movie right now.   2022 release IIRC.   Hard to see that combination of character and studio being anything but a massive hit and if it goes as expected I’m sure they will roll out the other characters, sequels , etc etc

Time to load up on Nintendo Power mags for those speculators.

I'm an older collector who is honestly frustrated this has caught on. Just prices me out even further. Keep hoping the fad will burn itself out, but I doubt it. Should have bought everything up back in my early days of collecting, so I could sit back and not be irritated at it catching on. Every hobby I take up, people eventually find out and trample in. I guess I'm just selfish and anti-social. Oh well.

Edited by Silver Ager

10 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

To be honest, hate it when my hobbies get this kind of press. Just encourages more people to pour in, pricing me out even further. Keep hoping the fad will burn itself out, but I doubt it. Should have bought everything up back in my early days of collecting, so I could sit back and not be irritated at it catching on. Every hobby I take up, people eventually find out and trample in.

Video games is not a fad. Beanie Babies was a fad. Like it or not comic books were never mainstream like videogames are now. Eventually video games will be the number one hobby. Calling videogames a fad is like saying reading books, or watching tv and movies is a fad.

CC

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

20 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

I didn't say video games were a fad. I was saying that I was hoping video game collecting would turn out to be a fad. Which it won't, but sometimes wishing is all you got.

I made more money in videogames and sportcards this year than comic books.

Checkout youtube where we will find videogames and top sportstars get way more views than if someone makes videos about golden age, silver age and bronze age comic books.

One Zelda or Mario Brothers will get more views.

Let me state this SuperMario is now more popular and considered cooler than Superman with the younger crowd.

I repeat Super Mario is more popular than Superman. :whatthe:

Master Chief of X-Box is more popular than Fantastic Four by a good margin with post 2001 crowds. :whatthe:

Image result for action figure

Ask 10  random people under the age of 40 if they play videogames or read comic books. There is no comparision which hobby is mainstream and which one is niche.

I do respect your opinion but going forward the videogame collecting has much more growth than comics by double the margin.

CC

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I'm sure it will. I'm sure there were some old comic guys in the 70s who were frustrated at huge crowds and skyrocketing prices in the 80s. Same with card collectors of the 30s-70s being slapped in the face by the crazy 80s. I don't even go to cons anymore, one reason being the dang movie-hyped crowds. Maybe I oughta go hide in the book or stamp world. I hear it's nice and quiet there.

Edited by Silver Ager