• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two of our own headline Video Game collecting article
1 1

113 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

Upon seeing your sweet copy of #6🤘 (not to mention such a popular cover/isssue at that time) you made me go snap and share my prized Nintendo Power copies 👍

Beckett Basketball monthly I would pick up at card or comic store monthly. My Ninja magazines I would stock up on at a 7-11 over by my school. Whereas, Field & Stream, National Geographic and Nintendo Power were my first magazine subscriptions I signed up for and came to our mailbox in my name. 

But only N.P. did I stalk our mailbox for lol  It was big medicine around us for a good couple years. A lot of fun nostalgic memories with my older Brother, lower school buddies or home sick and sneaking in as many games before getting busted😂

2CE8CB39-5232-408C-829E-C0B4BCD89787.thumb.jpeg.be7d3515c31636395b6b349d9cc4e055.jpeg

0EB3A319-8A0B-49E2-AE75-8F3310265D73.thumb.jpeg.d6fceec04797fb35f59d093149b7493f.jpeg

06832A05-5965-4E03-BBAD-D7EF5C3097A2.thumb.jpeg.95dab2b58be294afa030d68607c6dd26.jpeg

BRUH-that is an incredible lavatory.:whatthe:

i guess when i see things like this I have a , "Why didn't I see it coming." kinda thought, having collected comics and all and the being firsthand into knowing the whole kids buying back their childhood riff.

but i miss the mark everytime. I remeber walking thru a toys r us when first moved to la and saw that cool PXL-Video camera thing but it was a 100$ and i was so broke i was eating leftovers folks left at their tables at mcdonalds.

never played video games. parents never bought me dung. i was more into jumping the bmx bike over the creek ala evel kenevil., which by the way just watched an amazing doc on. The snake river canyon jump specifics are really screaming for a feature film. i remember being in a van with the director spike jonze after a shoot and the and his producer were talking about how they are many evel keneivel scripts in hollywood, but no one can write a good one. come to think of it the whole true story of The Human Fly would be even a better movie. I believe the mob busted his knee caps out after The Human Fly flew around on that jumbo jet.

just a little free association at 4am.

anywys, good for these video game cats.

Edited by NoMan

8 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Upon seeing your sweet copy of #6🤘 (not to mention such a popular cover/isssue at that time) you made me go snap and share my prized Nintendo Power copies 👍

Beckett Basketball monthly I would pick up at card or comic store monthly. My Ninja magazines I would stock up on at a 7-11 over by my school. Whereas, Field & Stream, National Geographic and Nintendo Power were my first magazine subscriptions I signed up for and came to our mailbox in my name. 

But only N.P. did I stalk our mailbox for lol  It was big medicine around us for a good couple years. A lot of fun nostalgic memories with my older Brother, lower school buddies or home sick and sneaking in as many games before getting busted😂

2CE8CB39-5232-408C-829E-C0B4BCD89787.thumb.jpeg.be7d3515c31636395b6b349d9cc4e055.jpeg

OMG I just noticed the turkey toilet and plunger.  Spectacular lol

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

i guess when i see things like this I have a , "Why didn't I see it coming." kinda thought, having collected comics and all and the being firsthand into knowing the whole kids buying back their childhood riff.

but i miss the mark everytime. I remeber walking thru a toys r us when first moved to la and saw that cool PXL-Video camera thing but it was a 100$ and i was so broke i was eating leftovers folks left at their tables at mcdonalds.

never played video games.

As I've mentioned to other people, if you have zero interest in it, speculating was never going to work out for you anyways.   You would have bought the wrong material and sold it too soon.    You have to at least have some attachment to the material to do it right in the first place.    Not to say that it has to be a lot necessarily, but at least some clue, some marginal warm n fuzzies, at least a memory of having enjoy SOME game when you were 12 or whatever.   So no point feeling like you missed out.    

(And conversely, if you do have some attachment, its not too late to buy some nice material).

Edited by Bronty

59 minutes ago, Bronty said:

As I've mentioned to other people, if you have zero interest in it, speculating was never going to work out for you anyways.   You would have bought the wrong material and sold it too soon.    You have to at least have some attachment to the material to do it right in the first place.    Not to say that it has to be a lot necessarily, but at least some clue, some marginal warm n fuzzies, at least a memory of having enjoy SOME game when you were 12 or whatever.   So no point feeling like you missed out.

thanks for making me feel better.

10 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Video games is not a fad. Beanie Babies was a fad. Like it or not comic books were never mainstream like videogames are now. Eventually video games will be the number one hobby. Calling videogames a fad is like saying reading books, or watching tv and movies is a fad.

CC

Just as there is a huge difference between comic book reading (in the toilet) and vintage comic book collecting (thriving), playing videogames (probably already has been the number one hobby for many years by $ sales) and collecting vintage slabbed videogames (a more recent phenomenon and very much a small niche hobby at the moment) are two wildly different things.  

Playing videogames is obviously not a fad. Time will tell with collecting slabbed videogames.  

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Just as there is a huge difference between comic book reading (in the toilet) and vintage comic book collecting (thriving), playing videogames (probably already has been the number one hobby for many years by $ sales) and collecting vintage slabbed videogames (a more recent phenomenon and very much a small niche hobby at the moment) are two wildly different things.  

Playing videogames is obviously not a fad. Time will tell with collecting slabbed videogames.  

That's patently obvious, but which do you think is the better potential for the long term?   The one where utilization (readership) fell off a cliff 25 years ago?   Or the one with lots of tons of utilization to spare?    The answer to that should be obvious too.

Anyways, the biggest things holding it back have been:

- learning curve and lack of education about about print variants

- no sales at public auctions like heritage

- lack of visibility of the hobby

- no real "dealers"

- no GPA equivalent

In other words, lack of infrastructure.

Every single one of those infrastructure points either has, or is in the process of being, addressed for the first time.    That collecting infrastructure builds a ton of value because it makes it easier for people to collect.    As a result, it should be no surprise that values have risen.    There's less effort required.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

One thing I have noticed is rarity becomes all important when it comes to slabbed games.  The video game holy grail is some gold stadium sports game that nobody ever wanted to play

actually, that's changed/changing.   Its been heading away from rarity and towards popularity slowly for a long time and these days SE is not top dog anymore.

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

actually, that's changed/changing.   Its been heading away from rarity and towards popularity slowly for a long time and these days SE is not top dog anymore.

Yes, and I think it will continue to as more collectors come into the fold.  As long as people don't dump their Zelda and Mario games all at once it should be a smooth rise.

10 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Yes, and I think it will continue to as more collectors come into the fold.  As long as people don't dump their Zelda and Mario games all at once it should be a smooth rise.

When I started collecting in 2002 my early collecting buddy Mike had just bought a sealed Super Mario Bros for $3 on ebay.    Three dollars!  lol    

Many low to mid five figure items now were low to mid three figure items then.    And, overall, the in-demand items have risen faster than the rarity driven items.   

If rarity was the end-all, sealed Myriad 6 in 1's should be six figures.    But instead they've languished at the 5k asks for ten years now with what appears to be zero demand.

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Back in 2006, 2007 there were a few ebay sellers that had weekly auctions of sealed games.  I picked up much of my small collection back then.  I have to think there are still boxes of inventory out there as not everyone knows about the value of those games.

Back around that time, I sold a friend's collection in that manner, and Brian, that bought out an old distributor from Hawaii, had weekly auctions also.   I wonder if you bought any from me and/or Brian.   Brian's were distinguishable by generally having two price tags with inventory codes rather than prices on them.

There's still stuff out there, 100%.   But I can tell you that every year there is less and less and less.   Today, far less is found than back then.    Asking an old store owner to store a room full of stuff for from their closed-down shop for 30 years is asking a lot.  Now that ebay has been around for 20+ years, the large majority of those old hoards are gone.   But, still a few remain, no doubt.    The thing about those finds though is that its amazing how many sealed NES games some stores had without having anything good.   All the same crepe titles in quantity but quantity zero or one of anything you'd want, etc.    Over-orders of unpopular titles, in other words.   Unsold stock.

Edited by Bronty