• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 11...THE RAREST SPIDEY IN HIGH GRADE!!
5 5

83 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

This copy coming up for auction isn't too shabby:

RADBA0732019712_143251.jpg

Hey Bob...hope all is well.  Which auction house so I can track it.  Only three (3) 9.6s here for Registry owners...even Barton's/Ghosttown's book is a 9.4.

15 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Hey Bob...hope all is well.  Which auction house so I can track it.  Only three (3) 9.6s here for Registry owners...even Barton's/Ghosttown's book is a 9.4.

Comiclink. Starts August 15. This auction features TONs of high grade early ASMs.

I have another theory to float...c'mon boardies...don't be shy :fear::shy: Share your thoughts and opinions we'd love to hear 'em.  And of course any of you closet/secret 9.0 or better holders let's see those scans (it's 2019...coming out of the closet is OK). 

Here's the theory...the book is so scarce that it often does not result in a bidding war to push the price further.  By that I mean if you are not completely tracking the book 24/7 when one does come available for bidding you could completely miss it.  Thoughts?

13 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

I have another theory to float...c'mon boardies...don't be shy :fear::shy: Share your thoughts and opinions we'd love to hear 'em.  And of course any of you closet/secret 9.0 or better holders let's see those scans (it's 2019...coming out of the closet is OK). 

Here's the theory...the book is so scarce that it often does not result in a bidding war to push the price further.  By that I mean if you are not completely tracking the book 24/7 when one does come available for bidding you could completely miss it.  Thoughts?

Very cool info!  #11, #4, and #28 are the only Spidey issues without a CGC 9.8 to date.

And I've always admired this cover and the 2nd app of Doc Ock.  Never seen a CGC 9.6 for sale, can't imagine where that one will end up :whatthe:  No where near that stratosphere, but still extremely happy with my copy:

aasm 11 frt497.jpg

Edited by mosconi

Thanks(?) for the info Tom, now everyone will know how hard it is to acquire in high grade! lol

Afraid this is probably the best I'm going to be able to do since the cost of early Ditko issues continue to see a surge in price once you get above mid-grade!

2979995_Full_Obv.jpg?t=My80LzIwMTggODo0OTowNCBBTQ%3d%3d

Edited by Philreal

23 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

We seem to have drifted somewhat into a key-focused collecting world.  Perhaps not as many completists anymore that want every book in a given grade.  I get it, books in HG can be expensive and if you are after the keys you are saving your money for those, and obviously we all have varying economic means and for some people paying a $100 for a book is an outlandish thought and for others dropping $10K on a book is no big deal.

This is correct, but some runs including of course ASM and FF have retained their collecting base and even "fillers" will always have a demand (if one would dare calling issues like 11 and more all less every issue up to 100 or even up to 200 a filler).

With that said, I personally came to realise how tough and sought after #11 in higher grade is, right after I completed adding the early keys in my run and started more seriously researching for the rest. "Fortunately" for me, my focus is on 7.5 - 8.0 grades for Ditko issues, so it shouldn't be impossible to find one, but definitely not easy either. 

Thank you for your very interesting post (thumbsu

1 hour ago, SECollector said:

This is correct, but some runs including of course ASM and FF have retained their collecting base and even "fillers" will always have a demand (if one would dare calling issues like 11 and more all less every issue up to 100 or even up to 200 a filler).

With that said, I personally came to realise how tough and sought after #11 in higher grade is, right after I completed adding the early keys in my run and started more seriously researching for the rest. "Fortunately" for me, my focus is on 7.5 - 8.0 grades for Ditko issues, so it shouldn't be impossible to find one, but definitely not easy either. 

Thank you for your very interesting post (thumbsu

7.5-8.0 Ditko Spideys are easy to find, but expensive to purchase. :)

12 hours ago, namisgr said:

My old copy suffered from a common production problem with this issue, a slight miscut that made the top of the comic a little narrower than the bottom:

ASM11.jpg.abe6d89872cae2b424912d9909ec22a3.jpg

Interesting, didn't realize that this issue had a common miscut at the top.  Wonder if any other Spidey's had this as a common problem as well hm

Just looking through gpa in past several months it looks like silver age dark covers for asm & FF have been on a tear! I haven't checked other major titles but I don't think they would be any different.

That C-link auction for 11 is going to be coo coo for Cocoa puffs!

Asm 28 in probably every grade have been like a straight line up. I'm trying to save my pennies for an 8.5 :wishluck:

14 hours ago, namisgr said:

My old copy suffered from a common production problem with this issue, a slight miscut that made the top of the comic a little narrower than the bottom:

ASM11.jpg.abe6d89872cae2b424912d9909ec22a3.jpg

Curious to know - is that why you sold this copy and did you ever upgrade?

Here's another example below.  You're right, though.  I looked through the Heritage archives and only found a couple of miscut examples, so my memory of the miscut being common wasn't accurate.  This issue isn't anything like, say, Daredevil #1, where most of the copies are narrower across the top than the bottom.

1768964]&call=url[file:product.chain

Edited by namisgr