• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 11...THE RAREST SPIDEY IN HIGH GRADE!!
5 5

83 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Though I've always thought of DD #1 as relatively common in high grade (for a book of its stature), and ASM #19 as well, I wouldn't say that about ASM #14.  Can't remember the last time I saw a 9.4 for sale. 

With 53 copies graded 9.4 or better in the census, it's not for reasons of rarity.

Edited by namisgr

6 hours ago, namisgr said:

With 53 copies graded 9.4 or better in the census, it's not for reasons of rarity.

I'm not doubting the numbers at all.  I'm just saying, whoever has those 53 copies, they're not selling whereas I've had no trouble at all buying 9.4s of issues where fewer than 10 or 15 exist in the census.

To the extent that my personal want list is any guide, the two toughest books are #2 and #11 -- I would love to get either one in 9.0, but haven't seen one of either issue in over three years of paying close attention (Bob Storms did have the Mass Copy of #2 in 9.2, but I didn't bite).

The 9.0s that I would like to turn into 9.4s are #7, 9, 13, 14, and 28 ... aside from #13 which I've seen a couple of times, the others have been pretty tough.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

(thumbsu I was just pointing out how the stacks of high grade in the Las Vegas collection skewed census numbers for those issues, including ASM #14.

I lucked into a 9.4 copy of ASM #14 back in the 2000s.  My first high grade copy was a 9.0 in an old label.  I thought the book looked deserving of a 9.2, so a few years later I cracked it out and re-submitted it (no manipulation).  It came back a 9.4.  I never did think that particular copy was graded properly.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr