• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LCS owner virulently hates CGC -- Is this common?
2 2

72 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

the few shops I visited in the GTA don't seem to have a problem with CGC I guess to them a profit is a profit also one does the CGC SS submissions and stuff. So (shrug)

Yeah that one is Paradise

Than you have Silver Snail-very rude staff,have CGC at the back wall but it's a private collection

41 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Than you have Silver Snail-very rude staff,have CGC at the back wall but it's a private collection

I miss our Silver Snail at home.It's a pot shop called HOBO now.Before the Snail it was Arthurs-that location was a comic shop for decades :frown:

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

I miss our Silver Snail at home.It's a pot shop called HOBO now.Before the Snail it was Arthurs-that location was a comic shop for decades :frown:

I mentioned it before but the first comic shop I frequented was a head shop.  He sold the assorted paraphernalia and underground comix.  As the comic business took off in the late '70's he grew the comic business and shrunk the head shop business.  Now it's just a regular old comic shop.  Just goes to prove things can go the other way as well. 

On 8/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, kimik said:

I have found that LCS owners and dealers that complain about CGC have one thing in common - they overgrade their back issues. CGC has forced them to make a choice - complain about certified grading to continue their practices, or adapt and grade more accurately. 

….

WRT internet sales, most of the stores sell online through a website or eBay, as well as send better graded stuff to the auction houses. Multiple streams of income help make ends meet.

First, I appreciate this discussion, it's been really informative.  I haven't had a chance before now to respond because a few hours after I posted I had a family emergency crop up and I had to fly to California to help out.

Two other things: in line with kimik, I found his back issues on the wall astonishingly overpriced.

Second, he said he'd tried selling online through eBay, but it was too much work.

Again, thanks for all the discussion.  Since coming back to collecting a year and a half ago, these boards have been a wealth of helpful information, including topics that don't reach any consensus but intelligently (for the most part) discuss the issues.

Edited by Carlucci54

On 8/11/2019 at 10:54 AM, blazingbob said:

Whenever I get into grading arguments I ask who taught the person how to grade.  It isn't meant as an insult,  it is actually an insight on how they learned and what they learned.  Each teacher has his/her own perk list of likes/dislikes.  

Great insight, Bob. 

So is it OK if my mentors were Borock, Haspel and Overstreet?  (shrug)

Honestly met alot of people like this who are shop owners.  Before I got my own online store, many years ago I was talked out of getting into CGC by a shop owner i trusted.  I should have never listened.  Now the book I wanted to get graded was damaged during the years and that same shop owner has tons of CGC's on his wall for sale....  :(   Go with your gut, and decide for yourself, best way to do it.  I CGC some books, and there are quite a few in my own PC that I keep raw.  One, because i hope to get them signed one day and two, because I love having them in my hand, and feel if it got graded a lower grade than i believe, I would be upset similar to your shop owner, so those books I keep raw.  Q.

P.S. If you ever get the chance, check my instagram, I have a post where I went into depth about that shop owner and the book i didnt get slabbed and what happened to it.  @Cypress City Comics