• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LCS owner virulently hates CGC -- Is this common?
2 2

72 posts in this topic

I overheard my LCS owner discussing CGC with someone else years ago, he went on about how he didn't trust CGC. I've heard this same sentiment for a few other LCS owners over the years. I also overheard a customer blaming CGC for no longer being able to pull Amazing Spider-Man single digit issues from the boxes at dealer tables. I'd blame that more on time and movie hype.

Grading may be an inexact science, but the "resto, color touch, tape and glue" information from CGC is very valuable IMO 

3 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

I overheard my LCS owner discussing CGC with someone else years ago, he went on about how he didn't trust CGC. I've heard this same sentiment for a few other LCS owners over the years. I also overheard a customer blaming CGC for no longer being able to pull Amazing Spider-Man single digit issues from the boxes at dealer tables. I'd blame that more on time and movie hype.

1).  Didn't trust CGC?  I'd ask why.  

2).  There aren't a lot of shows where I would go and pull single digit spidey's from boxes.  Unless he was referring to wall books.   Technically the customer should be blaming "sellers" for not knowing how to grade or disclosing restoration on why single digit spidey's are now being graded all the time.  

Edited by blazingbob

4 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

1).  Didn't trust CGC?  I'd ask why.  

2).  There aren't a lot of shows where I would go and pull single digit spidey's from boxes.  Unless he was referring to wall books.   Technically the customer should be blaming "sellers" for not knowing how to grade or disclosing restoration on why single digit spidey's are now being graded all the time.  

I think the owner said something about books being switched out in secret. 

Look at it from the perspective of the store owner, who has probably been in business a long time.

Some new way of grading is introduced and it becomes the current grading standard amongst many, including customers of the store owner.

Suddenly the expertise of the store owner is invalidated. Must be frustrating to have someone else tell you that you are wrong in a business you have been successful in for years.

Your example of the book that wasn't a 9.8 by your own admission that gets pressed and now becomes a 9.8 is the exact reason the store owner doesn't like 3rd party grading. Technically the store owner is right. You know it was probably a 9.2-9.4 but after whatever "manipulation" was completed it now sits in a 9.8 plastic holder.

Looking at it in that perspective does it sound good for your business?

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Look at it from the perspective of the store owner, who has probably been in business a long time.

Some new way of grading is introduced and it becomes the current grading standard amongst many, including customers of the store owner.

Suddenly the expertise of the store owner is invalidated. Must be frustrating to have someone else tell you that you are wrong in a business you have been successful in for years.

Your example of the book that wasn't a 9.8 by your own admission that gets pressed and now becomes a 9.8 is the exact reason the store owner doesn't like 3rd party grading. Technically the store owner is right. You know it was probably a 9.2-9.4 but after whatever "manipulation" was completed it now sits in a 9.8 plastic holder.

Looking at it in that perspective does it sound good for your business?

If I grade a book a 9.2 and it is pressed into a 9.8 I still graded it a 9.2.  Pressing removes defects,  I learn and if I make the decision to press I do it.  

Do you want to be right or out of business?

Edited by blazingbob

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

If I grade a book a 9.2 and it is pressed into a 9.8 I still graded it a 9.2.  Pressing removes defects,  I learn and if I make the decision to press I do it.  

Do you want to be right or out of business?

I happily press and get books CGC'd.

It has nothing to do with how I feel about it, I have adapted.

I merely stated why the store owner could possibly have problems with the CGC process, and yes the store owner needs to change.

Edited by Artboy99

18 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

My response would be are you referring to PGX?  Why would CGC do that?  

After all these years, I still don't know how to explain CGC to those not in the know. I also hear all about how Superman sucks, after all those proverbial grains of salt I've taken, I'm sure I have high blood pressure. :insane: 

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I happily press and get books CGC'd.

It has nothing to do with how I feel about it, I have adapted.

I merely stated why the store owner could possibly have problems with the CGC process.

Disagreeing with a business model is one thing,  stating CGC sucks with no facts is another.  

4 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

After all these years, I still don't know how to explain CGC to those not in the know. I also hear all about how Superman sucks, after all those proverbial grains of salt I've taken, I'm I have high blood pressure. :insane: 

CGC is the same business model as grading coins and baseball cards.  Nothing new.

For the mentally challenged I will state that having a CGC graded book is like having a debit card.  It is already graded,  it can have a value that can be calculated since you've removed the grading debate and it essentially becomes a dollar/cents transaction.

Edited by blazingbob

9 hours ago, Carlucci54 said:

That set him off, and he immediately became angry.

......any LCS owner can have any opinion they like, but getting angry with (polite) customers is rude and bad business sense. 

Just now, thunsicker said:

I assume many store owners disapprove of CGC for the simple fact that it makes internet sales possible, therefore cutting out the stores as middlemen.  

I hate auction houses,  they take collections that used to go to dealers.  I either learn to compete or move on to another business.  

2 minutes ago, mrc said:

......any LCS owner can have any opinion they like, but getting angry with (polite) customers is rude and bad business sense. 

Again,  my response would be that there are plenty of customers pressing books.  Just because you "shouldn't" doesn't mean it isn't done.  Whenever grading companies and money are involved there will be attempts at improving the item being submitted.

30 minutes ago, ExacRan said:

If cgc stated that the book has been pressed on their labels would it sell for less than a book that has not been pressed with the same grade? I wonder how the market would react with this change?

The more important question is

Spoiler

Do you like pie?

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

CGC is the same business model as grading coins and baseball cards.  Nothing new.

For the mentally challenged I will state that having a CGC graded book is like having a debit card.  It is already graded,  it can have a value that can be calculated since you've removed the grading debate and it essentially becomes a dollar/cents transaction.

why are you bringing me into this?

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Disagreeing with a business model is one thing,  stating CGC sucks with no facts is another.  

I am not saying they do and never said they did, again I am merely stating why a business owner may not like CGC.