• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Millar's JUPITER'S LEGACY on Netflix (2020)
2 2

70 posts in this topic

Photography on Netflix's Jupiter's Legacy has been underway since July and finally, the first batch of photos from the Toronto-based set has surfaced online, showing Josh Duhamel's Sheldon Sampson in a surprisingly accurate look from the Mark Millar and Frank Quitely comics.

The photos show Sampson squaring up against a mysterious villain. The purple and yellow-clad outfit vaguely resembles that of George Hutchence/Skyfox, though the baddie is wearing heels. Another possibility could be Jess Salgueiro as Shockwave, a situation that may make more sense as Netflix officially announced the addition to the cast right around the time the set photos first leaked.

• Josh Duhamel as Sheldon Sampson, leader of the superhero team, The Union
  • Ben Daniels as Walter Sampson, Sheldon’s older brother
  • Leslie Bibb as Grace Sampson, Sheldon’s wife and one of the most powerful heroes on the planet
  • Elena Kampouris as Chloe Sampson, Grace and Sheldon’s daughter
  • Andrew Horton as Brandon Sampson, Grace and Sheldon’s son
  • Mike Wade as Fitz Small, one of the most valued members of The Union
  • Matt Lanter as George Hutchene, Sheldon's closest ally before turning against him and the rest of his teammates in The Union

The show will be one of Netflix's first Millarworld offerings, the comic imprint previously owned by Millar and has since been purchased by the streaming giant. The full synopsis for Jupiter's Legacy can be seen below.

"A multi-generational American superhero epic, Jupiter’s Legacy follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930’s. In present day they are the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. Steven S. DeKnight (Marvel’s Daredevil, Spartacus, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), who recently signed an overall deal with Netflix, will serve as showrunner and executive producer, with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Dan McDermott also serving as executive producers for the series. DeKnight will also direct the first episode."

Netflix’s ever growing catalogue is adding a superhero series this year with Jupiter’s Legacy. A short teaser and a release date have been revealed by the streamer today. Based on the acclaimed comic run by Mark Millar, who also created Kick- and Kingsman, Jupiter’s Legacy is a anticipated Netflix Original series, which will hit the streamer May 7, 2021.

According to Netflix, the series revolves around a new generation of superheroes. The first generation have kept the world safe for nearly a century, and now their children must live up to their legacy in an epic drama that spans decades and navigates the dynamics of family, power and loyalty.

The cast includes: Meg Steedle, Anna Akana, Tyrone Benskin, Jess Salgueiro and Chase Tang.

Netflix has released the first look at its upcoming superhero television series Jupiter's Legacy. The series is an adaptation of the comic written by Mark Millar and drawn by Frank Quitely and is the first such adaptation since Netflix purchased Millar's Millarworld comics imprint. The first look video, embedded below, follows the release date teaser Netflix debuted in February. The new video shows Quitely's original artwork transforming into the live-action characters from the show, including a shot of the series' three leads: Josh Duhamel as Sheldon Sampson/The Utopian, Ben Daniels as Walter Sampson/Brainwave, Leslie Bibb as Grace Sampson/Lady Liberty.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Millar likens Jupiter's Legacy to a superhero saga on the scale of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. "[When I] did my first ever superhero book I had to do something bigger than Avengers or Civil War or Logan or Superman: Red Son. That was my plan when I sat with the blank piece of paper," Millar said. "I wanted to do one story that would become the biggest superhero epic of all time. I wanted to do the superhero Lord of the Rings that would be timeless and just a bumper collection of books people would be reading in 50 or 100 years time."

The story is about this superhero family and the world they'll leave behind now that they're through saving it. "It all ties into this big science-fiction concept," Millars says. "But then you can knuckle it down to something even simpler: what if the world's coolest guy, like Superman, married the world's coolest woman, like Wonder Woman, and they had these f---ing awful children who would be like the Kardashians?

"After almost a century of superheroes just maintaining the status quo the smart ones start wondering what happens if they break the rules the older heroes have held onto their entire lives. What happens if they step out of this repetitive cycle? This is our starting point and it just goes nuts from here."

EXCLUSIVE: “What’s wonderful about TV shows, we can go so deep and flesh out so much more with meat on the backbone,” exclaims Mark Miller of the adaption of his Jupiter’s Legacy comics to a Netflix series. “You know, characters can have a few pages that can take up an hour’s television time and I love that,” the executive producer adds. “I love the fact we were able to make something so crazy.”

Shifting from the 1930s to the present day and over the generations literally and figuratively, the super powered Jupiter’s Legacy is the first of a series of projects that Miller and the streamer have been planning since Netflix bought the Superman: Red Son author’s Millerworld imprint a few years ago.

Debuting tomorrow, the eight-episode series stars Josh Duhamel as Sheldon Sampson/The Utopian, Leslie Bibb as Grace Sampson/Lady Liberty, Crown alum Ben Daniels as older sibling and telepath Walter Sampson/Brainwave, Andrew Horton as Sheldon and Grace’s son Brandon/Paragon”, Elena Kampouris as daughter Chloe Sampson, plus Matt Lanter as George/Sky Fox and Mike Wade as Fitz/The Flare, among others. Taking elements from Miller and Frank Quitely’s 2013 premiering comic and its 2015 prequel Jupiter’s Circle, Jupiter’s Legacy the TV series takes off with intergenerational conflict and an America that has lost its way – which should sound pretty familiar to today’s viewers.

May 7th premiere. :banana:

wow am i disappointed after only 1 episode. main character is super irritating. overall the whole thing has very little in common with issue 1 and 2 of what is a remarkably good comic. i never can understand why writers adapting comic or novel material for tv and film feel the need to change so much. they really ought to have stuck with the -script. mark millar got a billion dollars from netflix, could he not have stuck to what he wrote in the highly acclaimed series of comics?

i dont think i can bring myself to even plow through episode 2. it's just not good. i was too excited for this series i guess. low expectations are always best. 

I haven't read the comic, only vaguely heard of it tbh.

There was a fair bit of chit-chat and too much PG13 stuff - so I see where it will fall short compared to The Boys or Invincible.

However - I am interested enough to watch ep #2. 

A duplicate bad-guy, 2 dead 'heroes' (although I'm not sure if I even got their names!) and a throwback to the 1930's is enough to keep me  watching.

I can see it turning into a brat soap-opera type disaster though, kinda 90210 meets West Coast Avengers - enough with the stereotypical rebel chick, bad- sleezy guy and wannabe hero son. That's been done to death.

So for me, depends which way eps 2 + 3 go.

5.5 / 10 for Ep #1

Onwards!