• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

De-Slabbing newer CGC cases

20 posts in this topic

I chose a few books to de-slab, and one of them happened to be in the newer case.

It seems sealed tight all around the perimeter, and I couldn't find a location to slip the blade in anywhere. There is an indentation on one side, but it was tight as well.

I've de-slabbed over a hundred of the older style cases, but this was the firs time I encountered the newer slab.

Any tips or tricks I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any advice.

4 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

I chose a few books to de-slab, and one of them happened to be in the newer case.

It seems sealed tight all around the perimeter, and I couldn't find a location to slip the blade in anywhere. There is an indentation on one side, but it was tight as well.

I've de-slabbed over a hundred of the older style cases, but this was the firs time I encountered the newer slab.

Any tips or tricks I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any advice.

3 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

Hadn't thought of that.

Lol there is a video in the first post of the tagged thread, there was another one floating around here, I'll check to see if I can find it cause I need to add that video to my thread... :shy:

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've only cracked one, and this is close to how I succeeded.  I went onto the cement pad of my front door and dropped it on one corner.  The localized crack made it easy to pry open with a large screwdriver, and fortunately there was no shaken comic syndrome.  :whatthe:

Next time, I'll try the case twisting that the helpful video used to get a small opening into the top.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, marvelcollector said:

Egads, I had no idea there was no inner well on the new cases.

That's the early version that was dropped.

The video still applies to cracking the outer shell.

2 minutes ago, reptilekingdie said:

Is a person_without_enough_empathy

That is the fourth time you've stated this in the thread.  Are you stuck in a time loop?