• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is it possible to pull an email address out of paypal transaction?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

In the past if someone sent you a paypal payment for an ebay purchase you were able to get their direct email address (I stumbled onto this, by hitting the refund tab you'd see their contact email) but it looks like they removed this 'back door' and it's no longer listed. Am I missing something or is it now impossible to pull a buyers email out of a paypal transaction?

14 hours ago, diva_tsarina said:

In the past if someone sent you a paypal payment for an ebay purchase you were able to get their direct email address (I stumbled onto this, by hitting the refund tab you'd see their contact email) but it looks like they removed this 'back door' and it's no longer listed. Am I missing something or is it now impossible to pull a buyers email out of a paypal transaction?

yeah, I'm interested if there is a straightforward way too, I think I played around and had hard time finding it.

Malvin

3 hours ago, Bird said:

Click on send refund. The next page should show the email address of the payer. Then do not send refund.

sigh.

as I stated in the first sentence of the original post I was aware of this but going through the refund tab no longer works. when you do you see the persons name and ebay ID only, the email is no longer shown. I was asking if there was any OTHER way to find it but I wasn't expecting there to be one. 

9 minutes ago, diva_tsarina said:

sigh.

as I stated in the first sentence of the original post I was aware of this but going through the refund tab no longer works. when you do you see the persons name and ebay ID only, the email is no longer shown. I was asking if there was any OTHER way to find it but I wasn't expecting there to be one. 

Yeah I’ve noticed a while back that emails don’t show up anymore. Makes sense. Partly a privacy issue but I’m sure it’s mostly to stop the off-eBay deals that costs the company money. If anyone has an issue with a buyer or seller there’s the “Contact” button so there shouldn’t be any need for a direct email. It just looks like eBay and PayPal have put a padlock on the backdoor now. 

59 minutes ago, diva_tsarina said:

sigh.

Random responses = still no

You've got contact information, including their telephone number, so you can text them asking for their email.

As for side deals: Ebay is too big an operation to police private messaging manually, they're relying on dumb algorithms that filter for things like email.  People work side deals all the time, and I'll bet it's getting worse now they're collecting sales tax.  Of course, if you're caught, its grounds for having your account deleted.

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

You've got contact information, including their telephone number, so you can text them asking for their email.

are you sure about that? not that I'm interested in using a phone number but I don't see that info either (unless you meant through eBay, not PayPal?)

I get why they did it if PayPal and eBay were one entity but I thought that they cut ties and split into two separate companies a few years ago? 

4 hours ago, diva_tsarina said:

sigh.

sigh. Sorry.

On 8/12/2019 at 3:28 AM, diva_tsarina said:

When people pay me for an ebay sale I get a 'Notification of an Instant Payment Received' email from Paypal confirming their payment. If you go to reply to that email, their email address shows, not Paypal's. I tried it just now. 

28 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

When people pay me for an ebay sale I get a 'Notification of an Instant Payment Received' email from Paypal confirming their payment. If you go to reply to that email, their email address shows, not Paypal's. I tried it just now. 

We have a winner!

Just tried it and it is so. 

16 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

awesome! that works (for now...), thanks!

3 hours ago, diva_tsarina said:

awesome! that works (for now...), thanks!

You're welcome Diva T. Hopefully they won't realise....