• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you seen backboards placed in the centerfold and bagged?

35 posts in this topic

I was recently looking at some comics a friend of mine had bought and all the books had the backboards placed in the centerfold. He said the place he bought them from had all their key books bagged like that so you can see the front and back cover without having to take the book out. I thought that was a cool idea, but was wondering if there are any negatives to this as far as damage to a book? It looks pretty convenient from the shoppers perspective. I'm sure there have been a few times collectors have purchased a book and found some unexpected surprises on the back cover. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before as this was my first time seeing it.

I only saw this once at Titan Comics in Dallas, TX.  The guy running the store was a bit strange.  I even saw him aggressively kick out a group of 3 14ish year olds because he requires anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult. 

It's his store and he can do what he wants.  Just thought it was an odd policy when you deal in items that are typically aimed to interest younger people. 

57 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I only saw this once at Titan Comics in Dallas, TX.  The guy running the store was a bit strange.  I even saw him aggressively kick out a group of 3 14ish year olds because he requires anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult. 

It's his store and he can do what he wants.  Just thought it was an odd policy when you deal in items that are typically aimed to interest younger people. 

Since I'm in Dallas and shop at titan from time to time, I can agree with you that Jeremy the owner is a bit eccentric and difficult to gauge....

Are you in Dallas or did you just visit? I've recommended titan to several people who have asked but never get feedback. I might recommend the Duncanville LCS now :foryou:

2 hours ago, Nuttzo said:

I was recently looking at some comics a friend of mine had bought and all the books had the backboards placed in the centerfold. He said the place he bought them from had all their key books bagged like that so you can see the front and back cover without having to take the book out. I thought that was a cool idea, but was wondering if there are any negatives to this as far as damage to a book? It looks pretty convenient from the shoppers perspective. I'm sure there have been a few times collectors have purchased a book and found some unexpected surprises on the back cover. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before as this was my first time seeing it.

It's a bad idea. It puts unnecessary stress on the spine, and leaves the entire spine exposed to damage from outside the bag. You drop or bump the book....and the book takes the hit, rather than the board that was meant to.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Since I'm in Dallas and shop at titan from time to time, I can agree with you that Jeremy the owner is a bit eccentric and difficult to gauge....

Are you in Dallas or did you just visit? I've recommended titan to several people who have asked but never get feedback. I might recommend the Duncanville LCS now :foryou:

I lived in Fort Worth circa 2008.  I ended up needing to drive to Dallas for some reason and decided to check out the shop while I was there.  That was my first experience with boards in the center of the book.  I like the concept of being able to see the back of the book through the bag, but I couldn't help but think about unnecessary spine stress every time I saw it. 

never seen this but very interesting I probably wouldn't do this because of the spine stress. 

but question just thinking out loud and I am sure this has been talked about before here. Sorry if it has but has anyone seen someone to protect a rare valuable comic put backing boards on the front and back of the comic in a bag? reduce the damage a book can take from the front cover plastic is my thought... I know I see people do this for shipping etc.. but does anyone do this just for storing in their boxes? If so is there any pros and cons. 

I think the Pro's would be more protection from bends when flipping through boxes or less changes of something causing a dent or bend through the plastic. Also might make it easier to take it out and put in the plastic specially if its a thick Mylar..

Con's could ink transfer off the front cover to the board? probably not with Acid Free boards I assume.. 

17 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

but question just thinking out loud and I am sure this has been talked about before here. Sorry if it has but has anyone seen someone to protect a rare valuable comic put backing boards on the front and back of the comic in a bag? reduce the damage a book can take from the front cover plastic is my thought... I know I see people do this for shipping etc.. but does anyone do this just for storing in their boxes? If so is there any pros and cons. 

I think the Pro's would be more protection from bends when flipping through boxes or less changes of something causing a dent or bend through the plastic. Also might make it easier to take it out and put in the plastic specially if its a thick Mylar..

Con's could ink transfer off the front cover to the board? probably not with Acid Free boards I assume.. 

I did this years ago on some SA books.  Probably kept them that way for over 10 years.  I was using Mylite2's with fullbacks.  Books looked as nice as the day I bought them.  A few of them ended up at CGC and received grades I was very happy with.  No ink transfers.  

The big "downside" is, obviously, you have to take the book totally out to even look at it.  And, if you didn't label the book, you wouldn't know what was in there until you opened it up.  

I guess the short answer is "Yes, I've seen it" and "No, there was no ink transfer".

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I did this years ago on some SA books.  Probably kept them that way for over 10 years.  I was using Mylite2's with fullbacks.  Books looked as nice as the day I bought them.  A few of them ended up at CGC and received grades I was very happy with.  No ink transfers.  

The big "downside" is, obviously, you have to take the book totally out to even look at it.  And, if you didn't label the book, you wouldn't know what was in there until you opened it up.  

I guess the short answer is "Yes, I've seen it" and "No, there was no ink transfer".

cool thanks for the response and info I might try this on some of my more valuable SA comics. Are there any downsides from this? I am guessing not really since they graded what you thought they would. 

Good Pro tip to label the boards so you know what's there. Usually though on the ones that are fragile I tend to take a pic of them so I can always look at them on my phone. might print out the pic and put it on the book if needed and if I try this method. (thumbsu

40 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

cool thanks for the response and info I might try this on some of my more valuable SA comics. Are there any downsides from this? I am guessing not really since they graded what you thought they would. 

Good Pro tip to label the boards so you know what's there. Usually though on the ones that are fragile I tend to take a pic of them so I can always look at them on my phone. might print out the pic and put it on the book if needed and if I try this method. (thumbsu

I would definitely recommend the fullbacks (Gerber).  I didn’t try it with your standard “run of the mill” backboards.  

The books I did it with retained their “freshness”.  Nice and glossy.  

Besides not being able to see the books when flipping thru the box, the other “downside” would be cost (they aren’t cheap) and space (this method, obviously, takes up more space in a short box.  I ultimately abandoned this method, more for convenience than anything.  

Just now, chrisco37 said:

I would definitely recommend the fullbacks (Gerber).  I didn’t try it with your standard “run of the mill” backboards.  

The books I did it with retained their “freshness”.  Nice and glossy.  

Besides not being able to see the books when flipping thru the box, the other “downside” would be cost (they aren’t cheap) and space (this method, obviously, takes up more space in a short box.  I ultimately abandoned this method, more for convenience than anything.  

yeah I usually stick my valuable SA in 2 mill Mylar and Full back boards E gerber ones thinking I might need a larger bag thought to accommodate the 2 boards without putting to much pressure on the snug fit as I use the golden/silver age bags currently might have to try GA and see if it gives more room so nothing is getting pulled near the staples, etc.. 

On 8/12/2019 at 7:39 AM, comicdonna said:

It's a terrible idea.  I once received an uber HG , GA book with cardboard placed in the centerfold.  Although it was thicker than a backing board, it totally ruined the spine.  

Gasp! Are you serious?!? I shop at Titan and asked about this. I was told it would not affect the book. I'm confused now!

52 minutes ago, arinya said:

Gasp! Are you serious?!? I shop at Titan and asked about this. I was told it would not affect the book. I'm confused now!

I would stick with the classic method of putting the board on the back cover when storing long term or the new method double boards front and back :banana: