• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you seen backboards placed in the centerfold and bagged?

35 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2019 at 8:39 AM, comicdonna said:

It's a terrible idea.  I once received an uber HG , GA book with cardboard placed in the centerfold.  Although it was thicker than a backing board, it totally ruined the spine.  

4 hours ago, arinya said:

Gasp! Are you serious?!? I shop at Titan and asked about this. I was told it would not affect the book. I'm confused now!

The book had a bow both front and back, near the spine large enough, you could  look at the page edges at the centerfold, and see through from end to end.  Damage from a backing board would be on a smaller scale, but still....

33 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

The book had a bow both front and back, near the spine large enough, you could  look at the page edges at the centerfold, and see through from end to end.  Damage from a backing board would be on a smaller scale, but still....

That's enough for me to go through my books move the board out of the centerfold! Thanks again!

I bought a small collection recently and there are some books in there with the board in the middle. It is extra strange in that they are only there occasionally; the run of 10-12 consecutive issues might only have 2 done that way but not all of them.

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

I bought a small collection recently and there are some books in there with the board in the middle. It is extra strange in that they are only there occasionally; the run of 10-12 consecutive issues might only have 2 done that way but not all of them.

They probably just bought them that way and neglected to fix it....

I have some put away too I'm sure :o

I see them every way possible

No bag or board  

Bag only 

10 to a bag

Board in the middle of the book

One bag-one board up to one bag-8 boards

Two bags-one board  

One bag-lucite board (front and back)

moderns in magazine bags

silver age in modern bags and boards  

you name it, i’ve seen it.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
On 8/14/2019 at 8:18 AM, joeypost said:

silver age in modern bags and boards

lol

:facepalm:

Of Course! That should Press Right Out! :idea:boy will they be surprised! :angel:

Ive done this for a few books with covers that wrap around to the back. Like the X-men Alpha, Omega and Prime issues of age of apocalypse.

While im sure dings are easier to cause i never take them out of my long box for that to happen and ive seen no dentriment as of yet.

Well - IMHO the majority here has it all wrong. 

Putting a backing board in the center of a comic book is an old school dealer idea. That way you could see both the front and back covers of the comic book. Without removing the book from the bag. And yes, if you stick something a quarter of inch thick in the middle of the book you will cause problems. A standard 20-24 point backing board?? No. 

It's also a great idea for the  short term when a book is going to be handled a lot.  Like getting books signed. For signatures I always use a backing board on the back as normal and a backing board in the middle of the book. Something to further prevent spine dents from the book being pressed on while getting signed. 

Finally, one of the largest companies that SELLS collector supplies mentions the (good) reason for placing a backing board in the center of comics

"When a backing is placed in the center of the comic it protects the comic book spine from crushing."

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/topic/savemycomics

Edited by Tony S

A few years ago at one of the local antique shops I saw some photo cover western comic books from the 50’s/early 60’s with a piece of regular brown thick corrugated cardboard which stuck out beyond the margins in the middle of each book and the each shrink wrapped like that. 

Westerns really aren’t in my wheelhouse as far as collecting so I don’t know how “fair” the pricing was...though my guess is that they were probably way over-priced as typical with antique stores. 

Hard to judge condition as the shrink wrap makes everything shiny and smooth but I wouldn’t have gambled on them as I couldn’t imagine how that could have been anything but bad for the books. 

I just received a couple of books this way from an LCS that's been around for ages.

They were quite snug in the bag, no chance of any movement.

I quite like it as you can view the back cover art work/adds. If a 4mil mylar is used and handled carefully I can't see a problem with storing this way

Edited by ausXwing

14 hours ago, ausXwing said:

I just received a couple of books this way from an LCS that's been around for ages.

They were quite snug in the bag, no chance of any movement.

I quite like it as you can view the back cover art work/adds. If a 4mil mylar is used and handled carefully I can't see a problem with storing this way

Having the board in the middle of the comic allows the LCS to scan the UPC if its on the back cover.