• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlton Canadian Price Variants
2 2

78 posts in this topic

Ooooooh,my heart is aflutter!I have a bunch of Chucktons from that era,those titles and I never noticed,checked before.Something to look forward to.As most of my Charltons were bought local,I bet I have at least a few!

15 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Ooooooh,my heart is aflutter!I have a bunch of Chucktons from that era,those titles and I never noticed,checked before.Something to look forward to.As most of my Charltons were bought local,I bet I have at least a few!

Go looky Jim :)

Here be the numbers

cpv.thumb.PNG.9ec063b9d9596c2b27e0f8c46f7116e0.PNG

I don't know where all the Gost Manor books are! :ph34r:

Honest,it's a rats nest in the den.I've been working on the records and house repairs too much and when doing comic stuff it's all reading.I will though,I will,now I know what to look for.

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I don't know where all the Gost Manor books are! :ph34r:

Honest,it's a rats nest in the den.I've been working on the records and house repairs too much and when doing comic stuff it's all reading.I will though,I will,now I know what to look for.

Good. The entire future of International Rescue is at stake. 

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

It's mcs international Marwood blocker.You may just see a misspelled underwear brand.

I knew it. 

Anyway. Canadian Price Variants Jim. Go find me some. Toot da sweet :sumo:

This is awesome.

I've been looking for a complete list for these and have been trying to build a complete set.

So far I have about 33 with only 3 doubles....

...I can confirm that these issues exist in addition to the ones that you have already confirmed:

Ghost Manor 75

Ghostly tales 163 167

Haunted 70 71 72 73

Scarry tales 43

I remembered there being a tricky one that was 75c but wasn't a cdn. Can't remember which one though.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Evening :)

As a side project to my Charlton pence and 15c variant work, I've also been capturing examples of the Canadian Price Variants for Charlton. I've populated the usual summary chart - it looks like this:

can.thumb.PNG.17ba466e1d8584c630e1e0d85a835f1e.PNG

...and here is what I have discovered so far:

• The earliest CPV cover date I have found is September 1983
  • The latest is July 1984
  • From August/September 1984 (all titles are bi-monthly, staggered by the way), 8 of the still running 11 title's issues have dual US/Canadian prices potentially indicating the end of the experiment (the other 3 become dual from October)
  • Every example I have found so far is priced at 75c (versus the US 60c copies) - I have found no other prices / annuals
  • There are twelve titles in scope between the date range (September 1983 to July 1984 inclusive) and each has at least one CPV. The titles are:
    • Attack
    • Battlefield Action
    • Beyond The Grave
    • Fightin' Army
    • Fightin' Marines
    • Fightin' Navy
    • Ghost Manor
    • Ghostly Tales
    • Gunfighters
    • Haunted
    • Scary Tales
    • War
  • If I am right about the dates, there will be a possible 64 CPVs across the 12 titles
  • So far, I have evidence of 46
  • The most any one title will have is 6 issues, again if I'm right about the start and end dates

Here is an example of a 75c CPV alongside it's regular US 60c copy:

87.thumb.jpg.79f94771965cf472144ff38b3a933fc2.jpg  87u.jpg.b710dcf5ce6fa6cfee4997f3089538b3.jpg

Unusually for Canadian price variants, the CPV has a UK price too. Very odd really.

Anyway, just a brief overview to start the thread of what I have discovered so far. I have seen talk of CPVs existing as far back as February 1983, but have found no evidence of that. Maybe this post will draw out some more info / anything I have missed.

All good fun :)

Charlton $0.75 Canadians exist until Oct 1984. I’m currently in the process of researching them for Bens Blog. Good job gathering all that info. 👍🏻

3 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't know if I still have them, but I used to have a funny animal Charlton and I think Zot #1 that were Canadian variants. They were $0.95, if I recall correctly.

Cheers kimik. I think Zot was by Eclipse though, not Charlton. I'd love to see a 95c Funny Animals though - issue #1 (September 1984) would be eligible if Sal is right.

9 hours ago, DonSal1976 said:

Charlton $0.75 Canadians exist until Oct 1984. I’m currently in the process of researching them for Bens Blog. Good job gathering all that info. 👍🏻

Cheers Sal :)

Are you able to show me pictures of any post July 84 cover dated 75c copy alongside it's differently priced US version? There are some post July dated single 75c copies out there, but they seem to be the only copies. The transition from 60 to 75c, and the introduction of dual pricing seems to be a bit haphazard which muddies the waters.

I want you to be right Sal - more copies is great! Please, show me one :wishluck:

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Are you able to show me pictures of any post July 84 cover dated 75c copy alongside it's differently priced US version? There are some post July dated single 75c copies out there, but they seem to be the only copies. The transition from 60 to 75c, and the introduction of dual pricing seems to be a bit haphazard which muddies the waters.

I want you to be right Sal - more copies is great! Please, show me one :wishluck:

I believe I may actually be wrong Marwood. When I said oct/84 I was looking at my original notes.   I’ve only done about 25% of the research on charlton so far. April/May 84 may be the correct end date after all. I’m currently elbows deep in research for another publishers CPVs so I haven’t been able to spend the time necessary on charlton yet. There’s always the possibility they jumped back to cdn pricing for a few months later in the run, I’ve seen it before. Keep the discussion and research going. 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

While we wait for Sal to hopefully drop by, here is my thinking regarding the 75c priced copies that exist beyond the cover date of July 1984

Obviously, we can say that Canadian 75c price variants exist up to July 1984 because we have examples of them sitting next to 60c priced US issues.

For August, September and October, here are the titles Charlton were producing, courtesy of Mike's Comic Newsstand:

For August 1984, all six titles have the new 60c / 75c in Canada dual cover pricing. The introduction of dual pricing at this point is itself a strong indicator that the Canadian pricing experiment was over. I haven't found a single copy with a single 75c Canadian price for this month:

2002220056_1.aug-all60with75can.thumb.PNG.da9e418dfa51fbb669493edea44d3a65.PNG

For September 1984, the first two copies (BA#88 and FA #171) have the standard 60c / 75c in Canada dual cover pricing as you would expect. But the other four copies have a single 75c price (dual with 25p). This to me indicates that Charlton increased the US price at this point and ended the dual Canadian pricing too. Again, I haven't found a single 75c copy for the first two books, or a dual priced copy for the last four. Their versions appear to be the only versions out there:

1698697329_2.sep-first260rest75.thumb.PNG.8d1ff18ea8ed9e70a535e34133d01e57.PNG

For October 1984, all titles have only 75c (dual 25p) cover prices. This is becuase the US price is now 75c. If there were Canadian copies, they would be priced higher, no?

408097136_3.oct-all75c.thumb.PNG.cb61cc3ec93001ca7288195ff61ade0e.PNG

So it looks to me that the end date for CPV's is July 1984, as the 75c copies dated after then are the newly priced US copies. This makes sense to me. Only the provision of a copy dated Augsut onwards, with two separate versions for the same issue, will change my hypothesis. 

Does anyone have one?

All good fun :)

1 minute ago, DonSal1976 said:

I believe I may actually be wrong Marwood. When I said oct/84 I was looking at my original notes.   I’ve only done about 25% of the research on charlton so far. April/May 84 may be the correct end date after all. I’m currently elbows deep in research for another publishers CPVs so I haven’t been able to spend the time necessary on charlton yet. There’s always the possibility they jumped back to cdn pricing for a few months later in the run, I’ve seen it before. Keep the discussion and research going. 👍🏻

Amazing coincidence there Sal, we just both posted at the same time - see above! :bigsmile: