• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SECRET INVASION show (2022?)
5 5

311 posts in this topic

SCOOP: Marvel Studios Greenlights 2 Unannounced TV Series – One’s a “Secret”

Bleeding Cool has got the word about a couple of unannounced Marvel Studios television shows. I say two, it’s more like one-and-a-half. Our sources on this are Hollywood players, but I can’t say any more than that. Hopefully, as the guy who told you about the cancellation of the Inhumans movie, the death of Quicksilver and the budget of the last two Avengers movies – while everyone else was crying foul – you might afford me a little grace on this one. We’ll see. The proof, as ever, is in the eating.

First up, we will be getting a Secret Invasion TV show. Based on the Marvel comic book by Brian Bendis and Leinil Francis Yu, the comic book revealed that a number of people in the Marvel Universe were Skrulls – and had been Skrulls for some time, as part of a planned invasion of Earth by a religious sect of Skrulls. In the comic, that included Spider-Woman and Elektra. The Marvel Studios TV series is intended to tie in with the Captain Marvel movies – though Spider-Man: Far From Home showed Skrull agents working with SHIELD and potentially SWORD.

It is notable that Marvel Comics is currently preparing a major Skrull invasion storyline, Empyre, featuring an assault on Earth by a combined Skrull and Kree army let by Hulkling, and we have been told that the comic book from last year, Meet The Skrulls about an embedded family of Skrull operatives, will play a major role in the Empyre comics.

The second nod is that another series has been greenlit, and just as with Loki, WandaVision, and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, we will get getting another Marvel movies A-Lister Live action TV series for Disney+. A solo TV series, starring one of the main characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I have been told to expect someone closer to Loki levels than, say, The Vision. Who could that be? Doctor Strange? Star-Lord? Baby Thanos? I don’t know. I can’t know everything.

Do Jessica Drew Spider-Woman Film Rumors Hint At…Secret Invasion?

20347225_2001417153427477_36215980197758

Well, rumor has it that the film will actually be a Jessica Drew-centered Spider-Woman movie. This rumor comes from Daniel Richtman and Grace Randolph, so it’s not just from one source. That being said, as with all rumors, grain of salt and all that. That being said, it does sound like this is happening, and if it’s going to hit that 2021 date, actual progress will be coming FAST.

Spider-Woman first made an appearance in Marvel Spotlight #32, and she went on to front her own fifty-issue series.

While Jessica Drew did have her own standalone run, she’s better known (at least nowadays) from the Secret Invasion storyline. If that’s the case, then there are a couple of possibilities, but let’s explore Spider-Woman from a rights perspective.

We are already hearing rumors that Marvel is planning a Secret Invasion arc over the next phase or two of projects. Could this potentially be a play from Sony? If they wave the character around in front of Marvel Studios (who can’t use the character in its entirety), can they see a potential way for the titan to bring them deeper into the fold?

It may be a long shot, but I’d like to think that Sony has at least a little bit of common sense. While Venom did well for them and Morbius is looking…passable, they have to know the goodwill they’ll lose if they split off too heavily from Disney. For all we know, they could actually be working with the House of Mouse to make this happen, but that’s all speculation on my part.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Spider-Woman is Sony and Secret Invasion is MCU. How would they intersect? Grace Randolph makes entertaining videos but seems clueless when it comes to Marvel.

I theorized in that other Secret Invasion thread that I think if there is a Secret Invasion Disney+ show, it will be smaller in scale and might be more like the recent comic book Meet the Skrulls, which is about a Skrull family that's infiltrated American society and lives among them like normal people but are really scouts for the Skrull Empire. I also think the Captain Marvel directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck would be perfect to helm such a story. Either way, I don't think it would be anything like the Bendis event series.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Spider-Woman is Sony and Secret Invasion is MCU. How would they intersect? Grace Randolph makes entertaining videos but seems clueless when it comes to Marvel.

I theorized in my alternate Seret Invasion thread that I think if there is a Secret Invasion Disney+ show, it will be smaller in scale and might be more like the recent comic book Meet the Skrulls, which is about a Skrull family that's infiltrated American society and lives among them like normal people but are really scouts for the Skrull Empire. I also think the Captain Marvel directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck would be perfect to helm such a story. Either way, I don't think it would by anything like the Bendis event series.

A 'Seret Invasion' thread? It must be a secret. :baiting:

Although there is a divide between them, it could benefit both companies to stretch out the Spider-Man/Tom Holland engagement as far as they can take it through TV shows and films. But if they could work something out with Jessica Drew as well, that would be fantastic as well. From the recent studio lead chat with The Hollywood Reporter, you can tell Sony and Disney recognize the massive potential working together further. Though they play their cards close to the chest.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

A 'Seret Invasion' thread? It must be a secret. :baiting:

Although there is a divide between them, it could benefit both companies to stretch out the Spider-Man/Tom Holland engagement as far as they can take it through TV shows and films. But if they could work something out with Jessica Drew as well, that would be fantastic as well. From the recent studio lead chat with The Hollywood Reporter, you can tell Sony and Disney recognize the massive potential working together further. Though they play their cards close to the chest.

According to MCU Cosmic, Sony owns all movie rights to Spider-Woman, while Marvel Studios can use Jessica Drew but not her super-hero alias. Maybe they can use the same actress, who is rumored to be Alicia Verkander as a top choice by Sony.

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

According to MCU Cosmic, Sony owns all movie rights to Spider-Woman, while Marvel Studios can use Jessica Drew but not her super-hero alias. Maybe they can use the same actress, who is rumored to be Alicia Verkander as a top choice by Sony.

I think you jumped in so fast to respond based on assumptions, you didn't get a chance to read the article I posted.

As it turns out, she is a character that is shared by both Marvel Studios and Sony. Marvel Studios can use the name Jessica Drew, but can’t call her Spider-Woman or have her have any of the Spider-Woman powers. Sony, on the other hand, has full use rights in the movies. With this in mind, it is very possible — dare I say probable — that this is just going to be a Spider-Woman universe set within the VenomVerse. 

HOWEVER, who’s to say this isn’t a play from Sony? We all know how fragile Disney and Sony’s relationship is. Last year, we even saw Spider-Man briefly hop out of the MCU, proving Sony is totally willing to go solo. That being said, they may have also realized how much fan enthusiasm there is for Marvel Studios over them. I also get the impression that they really want to weave themselves into the MCU more than they want to go off on their own.

Backdoor Secret Invasion?

We are already hearing rumors that Marvel is planning a Secret Invasion arc over the next phase or two of projects. Could this potentially be a play from Sony? If they wave the character around in front of Marvel Studios (who can’t use the character in its entirety), can they see a potential way for the titan to bring them deeper into the fold?

It may be a long shot, but I’d like to think that Sony has at least a little bit of common sense. While Venom did well for them and Morbius is looking…passable, they have to know the goodwill they’ll lose if they split off too heavily from Disney. For all we know, they could actually be working with the House of Mouse to make this happen, but that’s all speculation on my part.

What Sony could do here is reference enough of the events from Secret Invasion based on its character rights it could feel like a tie-in to what the MCU is doing.

We've seen it done already when Deadpool had the SHIELD helicarrier in the film without calling it this. So it had that feeling of being a post-Captain America: The Winter Soldier situation, spicy up that Act 3.

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think you jumped in so fast to respond based on assumptions, you didn't get a chance to read the article I posted.

What Sony could do here is reference enough of the events from Secret Invasion based on its character rights it could feel like a tie-in to what the MCU is doing.

We've seen it done already when Deadpool had the SHIELD helicarrier in the film without calling it this. So it had that feeling of being a post-Captain America: The Winter Soldier situation, spicy up that Act 3.

Ha ha, Sony is like that hick relative at the family reunion that Marvel Studios can't get rid of.