• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Qualifies as a First - 1st Appearance?

6 posts in this topic

Ok,

So Quick Question, how does CGC verify or see what qualifies as a first appearance for their labels?  It's been something that was on my mind before I started using CGC for grading 4 months ago, but recently came into question when I recieved my Naomi #1 back.  Bendis has stated that the book is her first appearance, but the CGC label doesnt note that. So hwo is it determined?  

Do they have a contact with local publishers?

Do they go by price guides and media sources?

Do they discuss this and decide on their own?

Do they consult the Artist and or Writers? etc.

Must the character have staying power and return again in another issue to qualify as even appearing at all?

I ask because now with comic and dollar bin hunters out there using apps like KeyCollectors or BOLO video's etc., I don't believe some of those appearances qualify as actual first appearances of anything.  Ill give you 2 examples 1 old and 1 semi old.

1st, Cindy Moon aka SILK: So Silk's first appearance (considered by collectors and CGC alike) as far as i know is ASM #4 from 2014.  I have a CGC copy and the label reads "Cindy Moon becomes Silk".  But if you look for Cindy Moons 1st appearance, its stated that it is ASM #1 from that same run.  She has a cameo and collectors consider that Cindy's 1st appearance.  On most CGC labels I have seen, Cindy isnt anywhere listed, not even as a cameo on the label. 

So what book does CGC consider her first appearance and does it show on the Label?

If Cindy "becomes" Silk in issue #4 why isnt that Silk's 1st appearance?

2nd, Major X:  So I know there is much drama from the Rob Liefield post to the original artist post about the 1st appearance of Major X. 

How did CGC decide to go with MX#1 as the first appearance? 

Was that from marvel?

Was that From Rob? 

Why was SPD/DP #47 dismissed as even a Cameo?

How does this work?

Signed Comic-Q, also new to using CGC :)

Q.

I mean what I like to call a cameo is if the character appears in one panel thats a cameo so for like lets say asm 1 cindy briefly appears in the start but gets bit by the spider but does not become silk but she appears non silk during the 1-3 run so I would not call asm 4 1st cindy moon but since she becomes silk in asm 4 I would call that her 1st appearance of silk

now for the cgc thing I think they read the comic and then decide if its their 1st or not.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:29 PM, Xenosmilus said:

The market, logic doesn't necessarily apply in some cases.

So basically if we all agree something is the first appearance, it becomes so?  its weird to me because Im a TMNT collector and basically Jennika's 1st appearance is #51 but no CGC label has that and shes been a Mainstay character for years.  But for instance when she became a turtle in 95, people got books CGC'ed that month and they came back with her on the label saying Jennika becomes a turtle?  Go figure.  Q.

17 minutes ago, Cypress City Comics said:

So basically if we all agree something is the first appearance, it becomes so?  its weird to me because Im a TMNT collector and basically Jennika's 1st appearance is #51 but no CGC label has that and shes been a Mainstay character for years.  But for instance when she became a turtle in 95, people got books CGC'ed that month and they came back with her on the label saying Jennika becomes a turtle?  Go figure.  Q.

I can't speak to TMNT's but look at Hulk 180 and Spider-Man 299.  Both are the true first appearances of Wolverine (Hulk 180) and Venom (Spider-man 299) but the market says it's Hulk 181 and Spider-man 300 because they are First Full appearances.  Hulk 180 is a better example with the last page having a full panel of Wolverine with his name but the "market" says its Hulk 181 most likely due to Wolverine being on the cover also. Just my 2c, my opinion will not change anything :roflmao:.

Unknown-1.jpegi3qj82fdfnc01.thumb.jpg.b39e1078813a48b08df8dfe382e187a6.jpg

Edited by Xenosmilus

See that's strange to me, with them being full on the last panel, I would consider that a first full appearance.  A good example would be apocalypse.  His first "Cameo" appearance, he is in the shadows at the end of the book if i remember correctly.  But the next book, we see him fully and in plain view, thats a 1st true "full" appearance.  Q.