• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLZ Questions, Tips, Hints.....
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hey so I started using CLZ Comics over the weekend and it is a really cool way to catalogue comics!

I used to use my own excel spreadsheet but I wanted to try something with more content and organizing ability.

The name CLZ Comics appeared a lot in threads on recommending online/Cloud-based catalogue systems and so I ponied up and paid the $14.95 for the full version. Glad I did. it's great.

Highly recommend, I give it 4 out of 5 thumbs up! Better than many others I've used.

Anywhoo....

So I went through the online manual and did a lot of exploring of the Android version and so now I have some questions now that I started entering books and am hoping folks who use it here a lot may give some answers, pro-tips, hints and hacks to make it more versatile.

So here's a screenshot along with a few questions just to get started:

Question #1 - What is the "Index" for, why is it so prominent and what purpose does it serve to put so front and center (I know it can be removed but am wondering what its for other than just to say " this is the 375th book you entered")?

Question 2: Why is there no "Copper Age"? It starts the "Modern" age at 1980 (!!) Is there any way to customize the "Age" of the books besides manually changing it on every book? 

Question 3: What's with the big "eye" next to the index number? What's it for - I click on it and nothing happens?

226854487_2019-08-1110_24.jpg.1b7ef72f59920eaab014ffbd182a0039.jpg

Other questions...

Q - About half or less of my books can NOT be organized by "Artist" because on so many books they list the artist as "Penciller" so I can't get a list of all of my Neal Adams or Jim Steranko books because so many listings refer to them as "Penciller" and there's no way to change that!?

Q - I really like the "Tags" that I can create, but if I want to delete a tag from the tag-list that I created, how do I do that?

Okay so that's a few.

Again I really really like this but I'm hoping others can share their tips/hacks etc.

B|

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, Vfactor1 said:

FYI...

CLZ is updating app next month with bunch of cool new features, but also changes to subscription service for new users. Current users are “grandfathered”...

Yeah, I just an email about it a day or two ago. (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Yeah, I just an email about it a day or two ago. (thumbsu

so if i download it now and create a login for the future.., am i good for non pay subscription?

my collection is not too big, meaning i remember most but still better get while the gettings good?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

so if i download it now and create a login for the future.., am i good for non pay subscription?

my collection is not too big, meaning i remember most but still better get while the gettings good?

Yeah I think so. I just added a week ago and got the "grandfathered in" email. They said Sept. 10 is the switch date.

I have 996 books entered so far, maybe have about 1-200ish left to enter.

25 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Yeah I think so. I just added a week ago and got the "grandfathered in" email. They said Sept. 10 is the switch date.

I have 996 books entered so far, maybe have about 1-200ish left to enter.

It already says unlock full app $14.99, normal?

I guess I'll know if I get the email about being grandfathered in...

Still though... no one can help explain the purpose of the prominent "index #", the magic-eye, "Artist" vs "Penciller" distinction, why there's no "Copper Age" and why "Moderns" begin at 1977 (yes, Heavy Metal #1 magazine is actually classified as a "Modern")?

Anyone from CLZ listening?

22 hours ago, jcjames said:

Still though... no one can help explain the purpose of the prominent "index #", the magic-eye, "Artist" vs "Penciller" distinction, why there's no "Copper Age" and why "Moderns" begin at 1977 (yes, Heavy Metal #1 magazine is actually classified as a "Modern")?

Anyone from CLZ listening?

I use CLZ but the desktop version. I just cant use this software as an app. so as far as I understand the index is just the entry in the database for each individual comic. Although for the app i assume there is no local database so it would be cloud based.  Just like in an Outlook archive file that represents all your emails it has an internal index or like the Windows registry is just a index of all things related to running Windows.

The eye you see is to mark whether or not you have read the book. Dont ask me why they need an icon for that but that is its purpose.

Penciller vs Artist? Never noticed.

I cant say why Heavy Metal is a modern but my Sub-Mariner vol 1 1968 series shows as both silver and bronze later in the run. I have some holes in the series but between 68' and 72 it changes.

I hope your phone app got updated with one of the features I truly love about CLZ is the tagging ability. Like forum tags you can create your own and assign them to any book. I use it to create box numbers then assign all the comics in that box a tag. So I know where all 6200 books are located. You can create a preset that will display those tags so you can see what is in them. I also have a tag specific for my CGC items. I took a snippet of it so you can see.

The second best thing is when i go to a store i dont need the app i have my cloud webpage synced with my browser so i can pull up my entire list on my phone browser to make sure I dont buy duplicates.

also, im pretty sure CLZ doesnt browse random forums so calling out to them is useless. Just open a support ticket with your questions and they are pretty fast responding considering they are in the Netherlands.

clz.PNG

clz2.PNG

3 hours ago, NWOslave said:

I use CLZ but the desktop version. I just cant use this software as an app. so as far as I understand the index is just the entry in the database for each individual comic. Although for the app i assume there is no local database so it would be cloud based.  Just like in an Outlook archive file that represents all your emails it has an internal index or like the Windows registry is just a index of all things related to running Windows.

The eye you see is to mark whether or not you have read the book. Dont ask me why they need an icon for that but that is its purpose.

Penciller vs Artist? Never noticed.

I cant say why Heavy Metal is a modern but my Sub-Mariner vol 1 1968 series shows as both silver and bronze later in the run. I have some holes in the series but between 68' and 72 it changes.

I hope your phone app got updated with one of the features I truly love about CLZ is the tagging ability. Like forum tags you can create your own and assign them to any book. I use it to create box numbers then assign all the comics in that box a tag. So I know where all 6200 books are located. You can create a preset that will display those tags so you can see what is in them. I also have a tag specific for my CGC items. I took a snippet of it so you can see.

The second best thing is when i go to a store i dont need the app i have my cloud webpage synced with my browser so i can pull up my entire list on my phone browser to make sure I dont buy duplicates.

also, im pretty sure CLZ doesnt browse random forums so calling out to them is useless. Just open a support ticket with your questions and they are pretty fast responding considering they are in the Netherlands.

clz.PNG

clz2.PNG

Hey that helps a lot thanks!

Can you manually add books on the desktop version?

And I like your idea of tagging them with what box they're in too! (thumbsu

Edited by jcjames

14 hours ago, jcjames said:

Hey that helps a lot thanks!

Can you manually add books on the desktop version?

And I like your idea of tagging them with what box they're in too! (thumbsu

James, yes you can add comics manually which I have had to do in the past due to certain indie books not being available. But you can submit them to clz so they can add them to their database.

Also they recently added a value tab that lets you include slabbing information like who slabbed it (cgc, pgx ectect), grade, grading notes, and other useful meta.

Edited by NWOslave
punctuation

I own both the desktop version and the app.  I use the app for when I'm at a store/show/con to make sure I'm not buying something that I already own.  I for me the app is more a fancy checklist program.  I use the desktop version for all my data entry.  I also use it to add custom fields for information that I want to track.  You should be able to add a custom field that has the artist info that you want so you can then sort by that field.

My collection is over 7000 comics so it will keep track of a large collection.

Psy

Index is simply a unique identifier as this is a complex database application. you can use it or just hide it from your view if you do not need the information but all databases require a primary key to sort items.

some information is not updated in the databases yet so may be listed incorrectly

and for future reference might i suggest asking questions about CLZ on CLZ's website and not the CGC forums.