• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Suspense #56 - I got screwed, right?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

Purchased this on Ebay from a "100% positive feedback seller". No photos of any spine splits, only this description: "...small spine split at the bottom of the book ... it should grade at 6.5". More like a 2.5" ss at bottom and 1/2 ss at top. When I complained, my reply was "We make no claim to be professional graders, we provide pictures and our interpretation of the grade of the book, you bid for it and received the exact book pictured in the auction at a fair price". Am I wrong to feel I was shortchanged? Unlike seller, I'm currently auctioning the comic off on Ebay with all damages noted. Current high bid is $1.25. But if I give the seller a negative feedback then he returns the favor and it only hurts me, right? Opinions and suggestions appreciated.

CCF08042019_00000.jpg

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. Outside of the ss I think it's easily a 6.5. But a 2.5" cumulative spine split could grade as high as a 5.5? I thought that size of ss would top out at best at a 4.0 from the grading scales I've looked at. But I posted to get input, so thanks for that.

Drew Stair. They can't leave a negative rating? Then how do buyers get a rating on Ebay? It was of minimal value. I think I paid only $12 + shipping. I know that is minimal, but just perturbed that their response would be so dismissive. Hope they don't treat other customers the same way.

And I'd prefer to give someone else a hopefully good deal via auction than spend $5 to ship it back. Probably shouldn't have wasted everyone's time here even bringing it up.

24 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Drew Stair. They can't leave a negative rating? Then how do buyers get a rating on Ebay? It was of minimal value. I think I paid only $12 + shipping. I know that is minimal, but just perturbed that their response would be so dismissive. Hope they don't treat other customers the same way.

And I'd prefer to give someone else a hopefully good deal via auction than spend $5 to ship it back. Probably shouldn't have wasted everyone's time here even bringing it up.

Worst a seller can leave is a negative comment, but the rating left from a seller is always positive now. Ebay’s way of eliminating retribution from sellers against buyers that leave a negative.

Well, I'd look at this as a lesson learned; it's one of the reasons why certified books are so popular these days. 

And that's a pretty menacing spine split. There's no way this book is anywhere near the Fine range; it's more like a GD/VG with that big of a split. 

Still, for $12 it's a cheap lesson in comic book economics...  :foryou:

10 hours ago, Drew Stair said:

Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers FYI. Easier though to just open a claim with eBay for item not as expected and force a return. What’d you pay?

They can’t leave negative feedback. I would leave neutral feedback. Still stands out and let’s them know to be more careful next time.

9 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

And that's a pretty menacing spine split. There's no way this book is anywhere near the Fine range;..  :foryou:

Comicdey is right. Those splits are going to knock it down to 3.5 at least. Item is not as described. Why not just send it back?

And on another note, we have quite a few really good dealers right here on the boards. Give them a shout if your looking for something.

Edited by DR.X

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Send it back. You're not out of line to be disappointed, and you're underestimating your position. YOU have the upper hand being the buyer on ebay, not the seller... Make him feel the inconvenience, maybe he/she won't grossly over grade next time... Who am I kidding, yes they will...

LOL. Yea, very true. I'm going to post negative feedback for them on Ebay and be done with it. I'd rather just sell it (currently in auction) on Ebay and hope someone is happy with a good deal on a lower quality book then send it back for $7 (after my shipping cost) just so they can relist it and sell it again over-graded. Couple of comments. The Lions Den : Yes, I probably wouldn't buy a more expensive book that wasn't slabbed. But not really feasible on low to low/mid price books. These are the ones I've had the best luck with reselling later on. You take your chances. And not really sure what cheap lesson I learned other than sometimes you get ripped off and a 100% feedback rating on Ebay doesn't mean as much as some people would think. DR.X : What would the best way for me to do that?

9 hours ago, joeypost said:

This would have to come back as a graded 5.5 in order for you to break even after grading/shipping fees. 

When I see the disclaimer that WE ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL GRADERS, I start looking elsewhere. 

lol but the turd puts in a grade of what he thinks it "should" come back at. He should just send it back and call him out on his lousy descriptions and non existent grading skills.