• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC determine pedigree authenticity?!
1 1

31 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, aszumilo said:

So a COA is good enough to establish a pedigree, but, not for a Signature? 

I just posted what I know from personal experience about confirming pedigrees.  Don't know anything about the Signature series.

22 hours ago, namisgr said:

I just posted what I know from personal experience about confirming pedigrees.  Don't know anything about the Signature series.

I know a lot of pedigrees can be identified by their unique written date/mark or date stamp (White Mountain, Green River, etc.).  I own an ASM #13 with an interesting date mark.  Anyone recognize this mark or ever seen it before on any other books?  Wondering what the "p" would represent?  hm

########### asm 13789.jpg

This is a slight off-shoot to the main point of this thread. I have noticed quite a few "pedigree" books on Ebay. They are not slabbed and the seller has no picture or even a mention of a COA.   So without any distinguishing mark or having a certain "smell", besides perhaps that of a shady listing how can they expect a book to sell?

Has anyone bought a pedigree book on Ebay without a COA, and subsequently sent it in to GCG and received a pedigree notation on the book?

Some examples below:

You wouldn't be out much on this book, but no circle 8 visible for a circle 8 pedigree.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125012741329?hash=item1d1b570cd1:g:JUsAAOSwnxphmYRu

This listing at least has a COA, but it's not specific to the issue being offered for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184617454581?hash=item2afc0ecbf5:g:KmUAAOSw9WBf~NNU

How about the "Ringgold GA" pedigree?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143401293414?hash=item2163621666:g:-uUAAOSwJ~hdlhlr

Edited by frozentundraguy

I heard that in order to distinguish a pedigree book from a regular book, CGC has to take the physical book itself and flip it in the air, during a full moon, while reciting the Greek alphabet backwards, in a room full of cobras. 

The book must hover in the air the entire time before finishing the alphabet, then land on the ground on their spines, so not the front or back covers, to be considered Pedigrees. 

Then it’s on to phase 2…

Now this next stage, I believe, is more hush hush? Probably because of the ethics involved with it, and optics to the public as well. 

From what I’ve heard with phase 2, they take 2 competing Pedigree books and pin them against each other in a cage match. There they fight to the death. It’s pretty graphic. 
Finally when there is a final death, the victor is declared. With the final stage:

Finally, the books that have completed the first 2 phases, the winning books are placed in a wooden box and dropped into the sea. 

Only those that return, untouched, are then the HOLIEST OF HOLY PEDIGREE CGC GOD WORTHY BOOKS. 

On 3/20/2022 at 2:08 PM, D2 said:

Now this next stage, I believe, is more hush hush? Probably because of the ethics involved with it, and optics to the public as well. 

From what I’ve heard with phase 2, they take 2 competing Pedigree books and pin them against each other in a cage match. There they fight to the death. It’s pretty graphic. 
Finally when there is a final death, the victor is declared. With the final stage:

are you doing this because you're about to post for the 666th time lol

image.png

On 3/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, D2 said:

Finally, the books that have completed the first 2 phases, the winning books are placed in a wooden box and dropped into the sea. 

Only those that return, untouched, are then the HOLIEST OF HOLY PEDIGREE CGC GOD WORTHY BOOKS. 

Ah man #656, how could I be so blind? loldoh! 

Fun with pedigree's though (thumbsu