• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your reason for buying a comic
2 2

What is your reason for buying a comic  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reason for buying a comic

• Appreciation of the story / art / character
    • Nostaglia/ Sentimental reasons
    • Value/ Investments
    • Because its cool and someone might have told you to
    • to embrace your inner nerd/geek/comic culture
    • because I am addicted to comics
    • ALL of the above (please try to pick one though if you can)

61 posts in this topic

Thought I would start this poll to find out the reason why most people buy comics. Since there has been many threads about when will the comic "bubble" burst and when will comics die.... :ohnoez:

I think the key to most of the debates I see on this forum about when the comic bubble will burst comes down to why do you buy comics. 

Edited by Krishosein

5 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Thought I would start this poll to find out the reason why most people buy comics. Since there has been many threads about when will the comic "bubble" burst and when will comics die.... :ohnoez:

I think the key to most of the debates I see on this forum about when the comic bubble will burst comes down to why do you buy comics. 

Needs an all of the above button!

21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Needs an all of the above button!

I didn't want to do that as I wanted people to make a choice of which one is greater 

anyone got any good comic buying stories? Love reading the stories fellow boardies post about this one time... or I remember when... 

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

You only collect that title?!?!?

"What is your reason for buying a comic" Comic, correct? not Title. My impulse often is based on cover art or something new and different. Really just cause something said Wow to me, an impulse.

Primarily for the story, characters and artwork, really connecting to the format. 

There was a lot of nostalgia driving my comics buying, but now I feel that I can revisit the past in a more pragmatic manner by reading older material digitally.  Some of it still holds up, but a lot falls into a ‘that’s not anywhere near as good as I ‘remember’’ category, or I’m just so much more critical of the issue or story as an adult. 

I don’t then feel a drive to locate a nosebleed-priced original copy anymore; once I’ve understood that my warm, idyllic memory is so flawed and illusory.

5 minutes ago, Grib said:

"What is your reason for buying a comic" Comic, correct? not Title. My impulse often is based on cover art or something new and different. Really just cause something said Wow to me, an impulse.

but still at the end of the day its for the appreciation of the art work or story or character then but usually a impulse as well?

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

Excellent post

I started collecting comics because I wanted to turn a profit and nostalgia

Now I just collect because I need a reason to come on here and talk to all the wonderful boardies.

So, over the last 6 months I have purchased at least 1 comic for each reason listed:

Appreciation of story: picked up a set of Cloak and Dagger books from the first run at a local auction.

Nostalgia: picked up UXM 266 at a local con.

Value/Investments: half the modern books I grab at my LCS, including Captain Marvel 8, TWD 193, and TMNT Ongoing 96 to use recent examples.

Because someone recommended it: Canto 1

To embrace my inner geek/geek cool: random Rolled and Told books, Firefly original run.

Because I'm addicted: please see all of the above, but also 2 random lots at a local auction that I bought without looking closely (oops), The Magicians: Alice's Story graphic novel, and a not small percentage of my LCS purchases.