• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your reason for buying a comic
2 2

What is your reason for buying a comic  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reason for buying a comic

• Appreciation of the story / art / character
    • Nostaglia/ Sentimental reasons
    • Value/ Investments
    • Because its cool and someone might have told you to
    • to embrace your inner nerd/geek/comic culture
    • because I am addicted to comics
    • ALL of the above (please try to pick one though if you can)

61 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I wouldn’t mind continuing with this, but no more space left before the collection begins to spread around and turn into an obtrusive hoard.

Another reason I switched to the digital format.

I hear ya, I guess it just depends on how much space you have available. I’m getting pretty full myself, but still find room. I know what I plan to buy for the next 6 months and can make room for that. Digital reading may happen in the future for me, but I don’t see myself ever selling off my current collection to switch completely. I must have a physical library. I’ll just become a lot pickier in what I buy when space becomes extremely limited.

I need to get a 2nd bookshelf for my TPBs/HCs. The one I have right now is 60/40 comics and encyclopedias. I have a bunch of philosophy stacked in my closet that I'd like to put back on the shelves.

I'm definitely very selective of which books I get in collected format. They take up a lot of room.

I may actually need a 3rd bookshelf to put those 6 Marvel slipcase collections on...

I guess it varies by comic. Some I buy for the story/art/writer (Immortal Hulk and Donny Cates' Venom). Some for nostalgia. For example, the Impact line from DC in the late 80's/early 90's (Shield, Jaguar, Web, etc.). Some for value as it is a target-rich environment in my area. Some to embrace my inner geek- anything steampunk, especially re-imagining established characters. And, of course, out of compulsion. There was a time I could leave my LCS empty-handed. Now I'll buy even if my "still-to-be-read" stack is a mile high. We need a support group. *sniff*

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Glad I could choose 2 options, because I collect for both nostalgia and artwork/story. I mostly collect CGC'd products for signed nostalgia (Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, etc). And I mostly collect TPBs/Moderns for artwork/story.

So your signature series carries the bulk of your collection?

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My graded collection is almost exclusively SS. There's no other reason to collect a Modern comic.

wait... what you don't collect modern comics for their future value worth (aprox 24hrs). Like I mean if you can't buy a comic on Wednesday for 5.99 and flip it for like $500 by Thursday at midnight.. you have to ASK yourself.. Are you truly living?! Like com'on

Spoiler

:takeit:

Spoiler

:roflmao:

20 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My graded collection is almost exclusively SS. There's no other reason to collect a Modern comic.

Are you trying to hoard all those J Scott Campbell SS 

Partly nostalgia (hence my buying a high grade Power Pack #1), partly investment (MSE #15), and partly completion of a Daredevil run (a book I picked solely because it was the one comic I had the most issues of when I was purging...I mean, if you're gonna have 150 of the first 300 of issues, you may as well get the remaining 150, right?)

I chose appreciation of the art, but it’s a lot more than that. I read a lot of comics digitally and my physical purchases fall into these categories 

premium hardcovers of my favorite creators working on my favorite runs

cgeap compendium/phonebook size trades because I think they’re cool and they’re a great value

Floppies Of runs I still collect (numbers are shrinking here, mostly just UG and BA mags)

Home brew and small press, which I love to support

the occasional impulse buy when I’m in the shop, rarely will continue in physical monthly floppy form but will sometimes continue in digital or trade

15 hours ago, Krishosein said:

wait... what you don't collect modern comics for their future value worth (aprox 24hrs). Like I mean if you can't buy a comic on Wednesday for 5.99 and flip it for like $500 by Thursday at midnight.. you have to ASK yourself.. Are you truly living?! Like com'on

Reveal hidden contents

:takeit:

Reveal hidden contents

:roflmao:

Do I look like a jabroni...?

18 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I'm surprised how few people say they're addicts for comics... you have to be, for the amount of time spent on them.

It's sad, really. I don't want to think about the impulse buys I've given in to just because I felt like I had to have it only to have immediate buyers remorse minutes later. I imagine that's what people with real addictions struggle with. Then I remember that this is a hobby and I'm supposed to want to do it as opposed to when a person with a drug addiction suffers from a chemical dependency.

Then again, I do inhale deeply between the pages when I bring home an old comic. That smell ranks up there with new car smell! :x

2 minutes ago, Conacon said:

It's sad, really. I don't want to think about the impulse buys I've given in to just because I felt like I had to have it only to have immediate buyers remorse minutes later. I imagine that's what people with real addictions struggle with. Then I remember that this is a hobby and I'm supposed to want to do it as opposed to when a person with a drug addiction suffers from a chemical dependency.

Then again, I do inhale deeply between the pages when I bring home an old comic. That smell ranks up there with new car smell! :x

:popcorn: