What to do when you receive a CGC 9.8 really isn't a 9.8?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

569 posts

As the title says I just received a CGC 9.8 graded book that is defiantly not a 9.8. Now I'm still a rookie when it comes to grading but this isn't even close. There is a very obvious spine break that breaks color that stood out as soon as I unpacked it. I have no idea how CGC grade it as a 9.8. Unfortunately I tried taking a photo to post here but you can't see it.  Even with a scan I don't think you'd be able to see it. When it's angled slightly and the light hits it, it's like WHOOMP THERE IT IS!  They do have a return policy but shouldn't you disclose the fault before you sell don't you think?

Unknown.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
569 posts

I did manage to get a few close ups. It's worse than appears in the photo.  I'm thinking I'll return this, I'd feel guilty selling this to someone if I ever wanted sell it.

IMG_6151.jpeg

IMG_4705.jpeg

giphy.gif

Edited by Xenosmilus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,596 posts

As one of my friends says: "That's why it received a 9.8 instead of a 9.9 or 10.0."

If you're not happy, by all means, return the book. And thanks for being honest...it's an admirable quality.  <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
569 posts
1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, 9.8 is not the pinnacle grade. If that's the only defect, then it certainly could be a NM+.

Like I mentioned, it’s worse in real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,221 posts
Just now, Xenosmilus said:

Like I mentioned, it’s worse in real life.

It's still 1 defect. If there are no other defects, then it could reasonably be a NM+.

There is no mathematical equation to determine grading, hence its subjectivity.

You submitted it directly to CGC, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
569 posts
38 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's still 1 defect. If there are no other defects, then it could reasonably be a NM+.

There is no mathematical equation to determine grading, hence its subjectivity.

You submitted it directly to CGC, correct?

I bought it online and as soon as I took it out of the packaging I noticed it staring me right in the face. What you can’t make out in the photo is the crease it makes from it. The guy accepts returns so I asked if I could return it. Still waiting on a reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,221 posts
13 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I bought it online and as soon as I took it out of the packaging I noticed it staring me right in the face. What you can’t make out in the photo is the crease it makes from it. The guy accepts returns so I asked if I could return it. Still waiting on a reply.

Simple equation: Don't like it, return it (as you are)!

Just giving you my Two Pieces on if it's a valid 9.8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,596 posts
1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Just giving you my Two Pieces on if it's a valid 9.8.

Clever...very clever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
950 posts
1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Simple equation: Don't like it, return it (as you are)!

Just giving you my Two Pieces on if it's a valid 9.8.

:facepalm: our beloved Two Piece is dead and gone just let him go lol he has become the artist formerly known as Two Piece (theCapraAegargrus)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
950 posts

as to the 9.8 that is a 9.8 if there's one defect it could be a 9.8 it just means it can never be a 9.9 or 10 

you might need to do a bit more research on grading standards and allowable defects on certain grades etc.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,596 posts
2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:pullhair:

"Death" of Two-Piece...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts
2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Simple equation: Don't like it, return it (as you are)!

Just giving you my Two Pieces on if it's a valid 9.8.

I see what you did there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,580 posts

It's graded by a third party and if you don't like it just return the comic. Grading is subjective and even if you don't agree with what it is, that's what it ended up being. If you truly feel this strongly about it get it graded again.

Edited by uchiha101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,366 posts
4 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

It's graded by a third party and if you don't like it just return the comic. Grading is subjective and even if you don't agree with what it is, that's what it ended up being. If you truly feel this strongly about it get it graded again.

Agreed

Couldn't have said it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1