• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do when you receive a CGC 9.8 really isn't a 9.8?
1 1

194 posts in this topic

As the title says I just received a CGC 9.8 graded book that is defiantly not a 9.8. Now I'm still a rookie when it comes to grading but this isn't even close. There is a very obvious spine break that breaks color that stood out as soon as I unpacked it. I have no idea how CGC grade it as a 9.8. Unfortunately I tried taking a photo to post here but you can't see it.  Even with a scan I don't think you'd be able to see it. When it's angled slightly and the light hits it, it's like WHOOMP THERE IT IS!  They do have a return policy but shouldn't you disclose the fault before you sell don't you think?

Unknown.jpeg

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

Like I mentioned, it’s worse in real life.

It's still 1 defect. If there are no other defects, then it could reasonably be a NM+.

There is no mathematical equation to determine grading, hence its subjectivity.

You submitted it directly to CGC, correct?

38 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's still 1 defect. If there are no other defects, then it could reasonably be a NM+.

There is no mathematical equation to determine grading, hence its subjectivity.

You submitted it directly to CGC, correct?

I bought it online and as soon as I took it out of the packaging I noticed it staring me right in the face. What you can’t make out in the photo is the crease it makes from it. The guy accepts returns so I asked if I could return it. Still waiting on a reply.

13 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I bought it online and as soon as I took it out of the packaging I noticed it staring me right in the face. What you can’t make out in the photo is the crease it makes from it. The guy accepts returns so I asked if I could return it. Still waiting on a reply.

Simple equation: Don't like it, return it (as you are)!

Just giving you my Two Pieces on if it's a valid 9.8.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Simple equation: Don't like it, return it (as you are)!

Just giving you my Two Pieces on if it's a valid 9.8.

:facepalm: our beloved Two Piece is dead and gone just let him go lol he has become the artist formerly known as Two Piece (theCapraAegargrus)

as to the 9.8 that is a 9.8 if there's one defect it could be a 9.8 it just means it can never be a 9.9 or 10 

you might need to do a bit more research on grading standards and allowable defects on certain grades etc.. 

It's graded by a third party and if you don't like it just return the comic. Grading is subjective and even if you don't agree with what it is, that's what it ended up being. If you truly feel this strongly about it get it graded again.

Edited by uchiha101

4 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

It's graded by a third party and if you don't like it just return the comic. Grading is subjective and even if you don't agree with what it is, that's what it ended up being. If you truly feel this strongly about it get it graded again.

Agreed

Couldn't have said it better.