• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do when you receive a CGC 9.8 really isn't a 9.8?
1 1

194 posts in this topic

I think most of these posts about 9.6 or 9.4 or the 9.0+ club everyone is under the impression that the comic is perfect for these grades and in theory they are correct to a certain degree I think the key to keep in mind is that in these 9.0+ grades small amounts of damage or one crease or something is allowable on these higher grades the more there are the more it drops a 9.8 can have a small bend or fingerprint etc.. and 9.6 to 9.8 are so hard to tell the difference specially through pictures without having the book in hand or under a loupe/microscope. 

I think the market if new collects are way to hyper focused on 9.8 as the min standard for a comic to be in this usually requires most people to never even open the book... sad thing.. what can you do.

Maybe educate the buying market that not having a 9.8 is not the end of the world that a 9.6 is barely different from a 9.8 etc.. 

End of rantrantlol :roflmao:

I initially started this thread to vent!  I have mentioned this  a few times already but I’ll be a little more descriptive now.  There is a color break in the spine that can be seen in the photo. What can’t been seen in the photo (which I tried to take a photo of but it just doesn’t show up) is a very dramatic fold  (maybe 1/2 inch) that has a direct line of contact with the color break and is very apparent if you looking at this in person. This should not be a 9.8 was my point, not even close. The seller has not returned my email for a return after 4 days now even though they said they take returns. At first I wasn’t too upset (more disappointed) but the fact he hasn’t replied back is a little unsettling. I also realize that some times each of us, myself included, just look at the grading number and accept it, which may be the case with this seller. But I don’t know because they have not responded!  I realize that no grading process is perfect .  However this was just belatedly bad grading.  Not even close to a 9.8.  If I was the seller of this book I would mention it in the description. 

I think we all can appreciate the disappointment we feel when you see a major defect in a book that isn’t apparent in a photo of a book we buy online...

Edited by Xenosmilus

8 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I think most of these posts about 9.6 or 9.4 or the 9.0+ club everyone is under the impression that the comic is perfect for these grades and in theory they are correct to a certain degree I think the key to keep in mind is that in these 9.0+ grades small amounts of damage or one crease or something is allowable on these higher grades the more there are the more it drops a 9.8 can have a small bend or fingerprint etc.. and 9.6 to 9.8 are so hard to tell the difference specially through pictures without having the book in hand or under a loupe/microscope. 

I think the market if new collects are way to hyper focused on 9.8 as the min standard for a comic to be in this usually requires most people to never even open the book... sad thing.. what can you do.

Maybe educate the buying market that not having a 9.8 is not the end of the world that a 9.6 is barely different from a 9.8 etc.. 

End of rantrantlol :roflmao:

Except the value of a 9.8 is almost double a 9.6

On 8/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, The Lions Den said:

As one of my friends says: "That's why it received a 9.8 instead of a 9.9 or 10.0."

If you're not happy, by all means, return the book. And thanks for being honest...it's an admirable quality.  <3

BINGO!

Plenty of 9.8s with those sort of breaking tics have rolled through the CGC, especially back in the day. 

4 hours ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Isn't there a video out there speaking with a CGC primary grader that says 9.8s can have a color breaking spine crease?

To some earlier comments, if there are no other defects...a 9.8 seems reasonable. 

A 9.8 can absolutely have a "color breaking spine crease", particularly when the rest of the book is more or less perfect. 

It just can't have one in combination with a variety of other flaws. 

Edited by newshane

1 minute ago, newshane said:

A 9.8 can absolutely have a "color breaking spine crease", particularly when the rest of the book is more or less perfect.

If true, then I will never be a professional grader LOL. It's good to know though! What you just stated is the rationale as to why some of my books are NOT 9.8's!

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

If true, then I will never be a professional grader LOL. It's good to know though! What you just stated is the rationale as to why some of my books are NOT 9.8's!

Don't get me wrong...the way they are grading these days...it would probably not get a 9.8. I wonder if they've "adjusted their standards" to pump up their pressing service. *foil hat*(?) 

But, for a wide swath of their existence, they sensibly allowed a single, minute color-break on an otherwise perfect book to wear the badge of 9.8. That's a really tiny flaw...camera makes it look worse oftentimes. I'd say your good, especially if the rest of the book is clean. 

9.8s may look perfect at first glance, but they are not. 

My 2c on Mint and GEM Mint besides condition that needs to be considered are centering and coloring among other things (that are not coming to kind now). Oh, there is something else that comes to mind...If you can "see" the page behind it, it's not a 9.9. or 10!!!! Is that one way you can tell a press???

1 hour ago, newshane said:

I also think that the CGC is too shy about giving out 9.9s. 

Yes. Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Ten thousand times, yes.

Those of us who spent thousands of hours, combing through stacks of brand new books, picking out absolute perfection...getting the same 9.8 grades that books with a single color break gets, or 3 tiny spine indentation, or a single thumb dent.

(shrug)

Incredibly frustrating. More books that CGC will never, ever see unless they figure it out.

When they instituted the new submission system, they had the option to pre-screen at 9.9...a change, or so I thought...they've since removed it.

meh

Sorry, folks, until you lighten up...a book with a flaw that it TAKES A 10X LOUPE TO SEE CLEARLY is a 9.9.