• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do when you receive a CGC 9.8 really isn't a 9.8?
1 1

194 posts in this topic

Just now, comicdonna said:

Demand is also a factor.  A book can be rare and have little value.

condition, demand, rarity, significance.

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree...

The value of a book,even though it's a 9.8 or 9.9 is determined by as much of the books that are out there

Again...the value of the books is utterly and completely irrelevant to the grading process. Wanna know how I know that?

In June of 2009, the very first CGC 9.6 copy of Green Lantern #76 offered for public sale sold for $30,500. There was much discussion over it here, with many people being absolutely convinced that the book did not exist as a 9.8. The price was a record, smashing the 9.4 prices to smithereens. 

After that, however, a minor flood of 9.6s came out of the woodwork, so that now, 10 years later, there are now 21 copies in 9.6 on the census...and TWO 9.8s, one of which sold for just a little more than the 9.6 had several years earlier. If you offered $15,000 right now...half what it sold for 10 years ago...I imagine you would not have a problem procuring one.

Was the person who paid $30,500 for the "sole" 9.6 upset? Maybe. Maybe not. It was all that was available at the time. Nobody knows what else might be out there. But the truth is, this has happened thousands of times since the advent of CGC, where additional copies have resulted in much lower prices. That's the nature of the business. Can someone go to CGC and complain "hey! I paid $X for this, and now it's only worth 1/3 (or 1/4 or 1/10 or...)! I'm angry!" 

CGC gives that person a blank stare and says "...so? What's your point?" And that is the correct response. Saying "people will be mad that there are more 9.9s!" is a red herring, and has no importance in the discussion of whether or not CGC artificially holds back the highest grades.

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yes

But the problem with the subjectivity is the value of the product,and that can be hundreds or if not thousands of dollars 

Not relevant to the grading process...and it cannot be, or you flirt with corruption. Graders must grade a book completely divorced from any idea of how much it is worth, or the entire process can become corrupted. That's why graders cannot actively be involved in the marketplace. It's a thin wall, to be sure...but it IS a wall.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not relevant to the grading process...and it cannot be, or you flirt with corruption. Graders must grade a book completely divorced from any idea of how much it is worth, or the entire process can become corrupted. That's why graders cannot actively be involved in the marketplace. It's a thin wall, to be sure...but it IS a wall.

So you are admitting CGC does NOT artificially keep the # of 9.9s and 10.0s down-as that would be corrupt.  

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Your "question" (which was a statement) was fully and completely answered. (thumbsu

I guess I'm rather dense-could you do a yes or no?
Do you think CGC artificially keeps down the # of 9.9s and 10.0s?

45 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It makes perfect sense: CGC wanted to be taken seriously...understandably...in the early days, when they were vulnerable. They didn't want to be seen as handing out inflated grades...so they didn't. You'll notice, PGX gives out a lot of silly 9.9 and 10 grades, because they're not a legitimate company. But there's nothing nefarious in what CGC is doing...it's just a tweak that ought to be adjusted.

I'm just going to quote myself here. The false dichotomy is rejected.

52 minutes ago, kav said:

So you are admitting CGC does NOT artificially keep the # of 9.9s and 10.0s down-as that would be corrupt.  

:bump:

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's never been for me...I totally understood it as soon as I started collecting....its common sense to know that the value of a collectible is based on its rarity

THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF CONTENTION. 

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, kav said:

The problem is that their definition of a 9.8 over the years is too broad - spanning from color-breaking spine tics to nearly perfect (9.9) books. I don't think it's "artificial" or corrupt, although it could be. I think the problem is how they've been defining the top three grades over the years. I'm also confused as to why books with miswraps or off-white pages can get a 10.0...but whatever. 

Your belief doesn't alter the FACT that there should be far more 9.9s given. I've seen and held and graded books that came back 9.8...that were just as good if not better than some of the 9.9s I had in slabs. 

But you're a pro...even though you've probably never even held a 9.9. I've owned scores of them. 

And I have no :censored: clue why you guys are talking about the relationship between rarity and value. That's a given fact and has NOTHING to do with this argument at all. 

22 minutes ago, newshane said:

The problem is that their definition of a 9.8 over the years is too broad - spanning from color-breaking spine tics to nearly perfect (9.9) books. I don't think it's "artificial" or corrupt, although it could be. I think the problem is how they've been defining the top three grades over the years. I'm also confused as to why books with miswraps or off-white pages can get a 10.0...but whatever. 

Your belief doesn't alter the FACT that there should be far more 9.9s given. I've seen and held and graded books that came back 9.8...that were just as good if not better than some of the 9.9s I had in slabs. 

But you're a pro...even though you've probably never even held a 9.9. I've owned scores of them. 

so you're saying if you've owned 9.9s that makes you a top notch grader and better than anyone CGC has to offer?  And if you havent owned 9.9s that means you know nothing-absolutely nothing about grading and whether or not a company like CGC would artificially keep books from their rightful grade?

23 minutes ago, newshane said:

And I have no :censored: clue why you guys are talking about the relationship between rarity and value. That's a given fact and has NOTHING to do with this argument at all. 

It does tho-I was discussing why 9.9s being rare makes them valuable.  Many 9.9s = not rare = not valuable.

I feel like I'm repeating myself.

34 minutes ago, newshane said:

THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF CONTENTION. 

:facepalm:

I understand 

The point is weather or not the book in question should be graded at 9.8.

I was simply responding to another board member

But regarding 9.9s you can see that if a book only has 100 graded at 9.9 it would be more valuable than if said book had 1000 at 9.9

That's all I was saying.

And truth, I have never had a 9.9

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

And truth, I have never had a 9.9

Then you know nothing.