• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Box

106 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Picked one up when we were in the states a month or so ago.

Completely forgot about it! (:

Will I be utterly diappointed? My luck, I'll probably get six Valiants!:p

How accurate is "between $80 and $100 Overstrett Guide value"  going to be?

IMAG0573.jpg

Definitely interested to see what you get. I don't have any experience with comic mystery boxes but I do have experience with Hockey card mystery boxes. There was some okay stuff in there, value was higher than I paid but there was nothing popular or hot in there. It was just older back stock that wasn't selling, BV was more than I paid but actual buy/sell value was about 10% of what I paid. I would expect the same with these comic lots. I wouldn't expect anything popular or hot just some popular titles mixed with some drek. It's easy to do a $50 comic value however you could probably buy the comics in there for $10 online or at a local shop. Good luck, I am looking forward to the results.

For $50 and you get only $80-$100 worth of product per OSPG, that is not a big win.  And although I complain about OS not keeping up with many GA prices, there are a lot of books that are valued higher than market value, especially since the hobby has become so grade conscious.

Good luck and I hope you get lucky and very much would like to see the results but my thought is that wouldn't be able to get your $50 (plus shipping if it wasn't free ship) if you tried to sell the contents. 

I've bought many different types of mystery boxes, Gaming, Dr. Who, Comic, DC, Marvel.. the fun is just the mystery or the hope of a big prize the gaming one was legit as I was at the booth when the guy who won the big prize opened his box he won a PS4 in the 40$ box. That as the early days of Mystery boxes, now a days its full of the stuff that no one really buys it has value and usually the values are near what they say it is but no one buys that stuff so hard to move or re sell it.. ended up giving away most of the stuff I didn't want but in the 100$ boxes you usually get at least 2 -3 items you like.. 

But it might be better to just buy those items for near the same price, but its that mystery of landing a big prize. 

For the comic one I've seen KPR comics I think that's was the person on Insta do the comic boxes and they sometimes hide a CGC hot modern slab in one of the boxes. 

Good luck and let us know what you get.:wishluck:

Wait just read the box again. 

6 comics worth $15 each is a total of $90.. so on the high end of the range of comics. As others have said. I'd have rather bought 1 $50 comic I knew I wanted (at a price likely to be under Overstreet if they were trying to sell and I was haggling) than have 6 $15 books I didnt even want or were part of a genre or title I didnt collect...

7 hours ago, HeyMoe said:

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Picked one up when we were in the states a month or so ago.

Completely forgot about it! (:

Will I be utterly diappointed? My luck, I'll probably get six Valiants!:p

How accurate is "between $80 and $100 Overstrett Guide value"  going to be?

IMAG0573.jpg

Pretty sure the content will be comprised solely of X-man & Justice league Europe ......

That being said I can sell you an awesome Mystery Box, please PM me!

2 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Pretty sure the content will be comprised solely of X-man & Justice league Europe ......

That being said I can sell you an awesome Mystery Box, please PM me!

But will your Mystery Box give the buyer a chance to "WIN BIG!!!" like Metro promises? I'm assuming they've randomly included one of their Action #1's inside one of these mystery boxes...:popcorn:

Hopefully yours is better, but in my con reports there is a reason why with the pic of "mystery boxes" that I always post this emoji :ohnoez:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hopefully yours is better, but in my con reports there is a reason why with the pic of "mystery boxes" that I always post this emoji :ohnoez:

Can we assume the reason is unbridled enthusiasm?

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was mostly kidding but TBH I could tailor a mystery box if someone told me what their tastes were. from the bronze age til now I could put together some cool stuff!

1 minute ago, Black_Adam said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Can we assume the reason is unbridled enthusiasm?

I've never bought one, but seeing them with Mario boxes with question marks on them does spark nostalgia but would not/could not with a fox nor am I buying their box :eek: 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've never bought one, but seeing them with Mario boxes with question marks on them does spark nostalgia but would not/could not with a fox nor am I buying their box :eek: 

That's how they get you to buy it in the first place! lol

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

That's how they get you to buy it in the first place! lol

I hear you, they're sneaky Bastich's!

That's why I usually take a picture for the con report, somehow knowing I'll trash it later gives me an edge on impulse to not plop a fiddy on it lol