• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Box

106 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I’m kind of surprised to see a dealer like Metro stooping so low to play this game.

A guy I work with who is into modern Marvels bought one of these at a con. He ended up with a high grade Black Cat Mystery #50. He didn’t know what it was. I tried to offer him full Overstreet for it. I think he got cold feet when he saw the price. Don’t know what he is going to do with it. What he really wanted was a modern Marvel with a Stan Lee sig!

So get him a modern Marvel with a Stan Lee sig and trade it! 

We can't be too hard on the guy - mystery boxes were legal on the boards not that long ago.  They lasted quite a bit longer then I would have thought due to how frugal people are on here.

I’ve read posts here about Greggy’s mystery boxes, which are said to be quite generous and loaded with high quality material, not just full of drek. 

I did see one that looked quite impressive.

I did enjoy my daliance "selling" mystery boxes when I was downsizing for a move to Europe. 

As I recall it was the cost of shipping a priority box got you... a priority box full of comics (sequential title) and graphic novels... 

Edited by miraclemet

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve read posts here about Greggy’s mystery boxes, which are said to be quite generous and loaded with high quality material, not just full of drek. 

I did see one that looked quite impressive.

a mystery box can be good if the seller has decent stuff & communicates with the buyer

but if I got this Mystery waiting at my door I would be sad

mystery PUA.jpe

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

and because it's been 2 pages worth of "quality material" and because no one asked for it (: 

HilariousCreamyAnnelida-size_restricted.

lol best example of mystery box hype. 

had a buddy run around the cons buying like 6 mystery boxes.. dude was so disappointed.. 

18 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Oooh,does anyone remember the Heros Inc mystery boxes drama?A LOT of butthurt about that.

no what happened in those boxes... :popcorn:

15 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Oooh,does anyone remember the Heros Inc mystery boxes drama?A LOT of butthurt about that.

Extremely common book.

Not one of Wally Wood’s best.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I had a lot of fun putting together the mystery boxes I sold here. I did have one complaint, but that person seems to be a chronic complainer. I think I got almost $1,000 for my best one and that had a Frazzetta Snow Globe and a Schomburg Nedor CGC in it among many other things.  I'm currently selling 25 comics for $15 in a bundle. Nothing great but solid reading.

Yea - I remember yours being good stuff.  I liked it when dealers could offer blow out boxes which included an assortment of good books that retailed for about double the price of the box.  The books were not hot keys but when you can get a stack of good reading material that will sell eventually I was all over that stuff.

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

I had a lot of fun putting together the mystery boxes I sold here. I did have one complaint, but that person seems to be a chronic complainer. 

If you are referring to me, I think you are mistaken.The box was .