• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Box

106 posts in this topic

In all honesty, I think a Mystery Box is actually a good idea for a legitimate seller (like Metro) assuming they are completely transparent re: the "big" prize and the number of Mystery Boxes being sold. If they were to sell 1,000 $50 boxes with one box actually containing a redeemable voucher for, let's say, an Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 7.0 (value approx. $25k - you would send the voucher to Metro to claim the prize) I think many collectors would be far more interested.

Kind of like an Instagram comic raffle or playing pull-tabs.

For all we know the "BIG" prize is a copy of this:

Image result for big comic

19 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:
22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hopefully yours is better, but in my con reports there is a reason why with the pic of "mystery boxes" that I always post this emoji :ohnoez:

Can we assume the reason is unbridled enthusiasm?

That's what brought down Billy Mumphrey

2 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

In all honesty, I think a Mystery Box is actually a good idea for a legitimate seller (like Metro) assuming they are completely transparent re: the "big" prize and the number of Mystery Boxes being sold. If they were to sell 1,000 $50 boxes with one box actually containing a redeemable voucher for, let's say, an Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 7.0 (value approx. $25k - you would send the voucher to Metro to claim the prize) I think many collectors would be far more interested.

That Big Boy is worth more than all the Drek boxes Metro is selling! 

Dave and Adams has some too.... that don't seem too bad, I've known people who have purchased some and it didn't turn out bad....

https://www.dacardworld.com/search?Search=comic+box

They have a description of what is guaranteed and what not :foryou: 

3 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:
22 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:
25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hopefully yours is better, but in my con reports there is a reason why with the pic of "mystery boxes" that I always post this emoji :ohnoez:

Can we assume the reason is unbridled enthusiasm?

That's what brought down Billy Mumphrey

8 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

If I paid $50 for a mystery box, I would love to find that inside. That's a pricey book!

13 minutes ago, Dan82 said:
01:55
Thursday, 15 August 2019 (GMT+10)
Time in Victoria, Australia

He opened it then went to bed... Likely unhappy.

crying-on-sofa1.gif

14 minutes ago, Dan82 said:
01:55
Thursday, 15 August 2019 (GMT+10)
Time in Victoria, Australia

He opened it then went to bed... Likely unhappy.

The chances of open a mystery box from a big Comic retailer like Metropolis & being excited is slim to none

I’m kind of surprised to see a dealer like Metro stooping so low to play this game.

A guy I work with who is into modern Marvels bought one of these at a con. He ended up with a high grade Black Cat Mystery #50. He didn’t know what it was. I tried to offer him full Overstreet for it. I think he got cold feet when he saw the price. Don’t know what he is going to do with it. What he really wanted was a modern Marvel with a Stan Lee sig!

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I’m kind of surprised to see a dealer like Metro stooping so low to play this game.

A guy I work with who is into modern Marvels bought one of these at a con. He ended up with a high grade Black Cat Mystery #50. He didn’t know what it was. I tried to offer him full Overstreet for it. I think he got cold feet when he saw the price. Don’t know what he is going to do with it. What he really wanted was a modern Marvel with a Stan Lee sig!

Maybe he doesn't realize how many Stan Lee signed comics he could buy after selling it.

I had a lot of fun putting together the mystery boxes I sold here. I did have one complaint, but that person seems to be a chronic complainer. I think I got almost $1,000 for my best one and that had a Frazzetta Snow Globe and a Schomburg Nedor CGC in it among many other things.  I'm currently selling 25 comics for $15 in a bundle. Nothing great but solid reading.