• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trip to LA (from Canada) advice

66 posts in this topic

Peakys post asking for advice in NYC has inspired me to ask for advice for the best comic shops or independent sellers in LA to check out while I'm there. 

I'm going down for a work convention Nov. 2 - 6th. Then I'm thinking of spending a couple days in Santa Barbara or Laguna beach or something before returning home. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to go, or any nearby comic hot-spots I should check out I'm all ears. 

I haven't done much research yet, and have never been to California. I live in a small Canadian city 1/43rd the size (I did the math) of LA so I figure there may be a comic shop or two out there that will blow my mind. I'm mostly a dollar bin diver & run collector. 

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Stay in Santa Barbara or Laguna Beach.  Avoid Los Angeles like the clap.  It's a :censored:hole.

Well my convention is at the Convention Centre in LA, so I don't have a choice. But I do plan on getting outta there once the convention is done and trying to get a taste of California before I go back to the (likely covered in snow by then) prairies of Alberta. 

Korea town is pretty close to downtown.  Best K-town in the world.  Get some bbq and/or tofu.

Also, don't walk around downtown with your cell phone out if you can avoid it.  Even though its improved a lot, most parts of it are generally not super safe.

If you're staying in L.A., don't even think about heading to Laguna or SB. I live in Orange County (10 miles from Laguna) and the drive to and from LA is a BEAST. (SB is worse because you have to drive through the Valley.)

Much closer and still-memorable options: Malibu, Santa Monica, and Venice. (Each is markedly different with its own unique culture and vibe, and well worth a visit.) Even Manhattan, Redondo, and Hermosa beaches would be a better idea than Laguna or SB. 

Terry's Comics does not have a store, but is located in Orange, CA.  Terry O runs the Cal Comic Con on the Sunday before the Super Bowl.and has a fantastic selection of back issues.

https://www.terryscomics.com/

The Los Angeles area has some of the worst traffic in the US.  If you come from a small city, then you are in for a real surprise.  My kid brother is a retired CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer, whose routes included the infamous Four Lane Freeway interchange also known as the Stack.

CHS-48579.jpg

10 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Well my convention is at the Convention Centre in LA, so I don't have a choice. But I do plan on getting outta there once the convention is done and trying to get a taste of California before I go back to the (likely covered in snow by then) prairies of Alberta. 

Don’t pay any attention to D84. He sounds like probably a sour transplant. LA is a very fun city. What are you into? Like any big city, there are places you probably shouldn’t go or would want to. As has been said, Santa Monica, the South Bay and SE Long Beach are cool areas. Traffic can be a beech certain times of the day.

I would recommend Santa Barbara. Hour and a half north of LA. Very beautiful and historic. 

What do you like to do or want to?

yeah ignore D84, he doesn't know what he's talking about. our city is great- not perfect, but great. if you like the beach, i highly recommend going to point dume in malibu. if you spend the day there you will certainly see dolphins. sometimes whales too. 

theres a cool comic shop not too far from LAX called Geoffrey's Comics. it's in gardena. it's got some good stuff. my favorite comic shop in north hollywood just closed unfortunately. i think geoffrey also has a santa monica location. 

and if you like japanese food, LA has the best outside of japan. tons of great places to choose from. i'll let you google restaurants on your own. enjoy your visit!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Don’t pay any attention to D84. 

Nope, he’s right Bob.

Just this year I have had multiple unsettling experiences at Downtown L.A,, Hollywood Blvd., Staples Center, and North Hollywood. When I have friends come to L.A., I advise them to avoid L.A. (junkies, homeless, crazies, traffic, etc.) like the plague.

As mentioned, outlying areas are OK - Pasadena, Burbank, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, etc.  Just avoid the shi*thole that is Los Angeles.

12 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

yeah ignore D84, he doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Disagree - I have lived here all my life and Los Angeles has *really* gone downhill.

I would wager that many people don’t feel safe in L.A., especially those coming from a foreign country (I have personal experience with others in this area).

I would move away if I could. Shi*hole. 

I live in Pasadena. Couples suggestions in case you can make it to these spots:

Frank & Sons Collectibles Show (City of Industry) - warehouse with many vendors, some comic dealers. open only on Wed and Sat.

House of Secrets - LCS in Burbank. The best in L.A.

I would have suggested the Rose Bowl flea market, but it only happens second Sunday of every month.

Blah, blah, blah.  Los Angeles is among the most exciting cities on Earth.  Like anywhere else Use common sense.  

If you don’t like it, leave.  Please. “But, but, I can’t leave!”

No you can leave if you try hard enough.  And don’t let that door hit ya on the way out.   

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, ComicsAndCode said:

House of Secrets - LCS in Burbank. The best in L.A.

House of Secrets is one of the worst comic shops, well, anywhere. 

I’ve given them numerous time to “ do the right thing” and they go out of their way to rip you off every time.  Buying new books off the shelf? Well that’s one thing and I guess they’re ok  at it. I Don’t buy new comics. Back issues? They are con artists at worst, don’t care at best.  Don’t mind undisclosed missing pages and undisclosed CT? Then head on over. They detest CGC. Wonder why?

My opinion: Stay away.  In fact I’ve written them off completely. 

Check out Earth Two on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks or P Dots on Lake Ave in

Pasadena/Altadena  

Also check out Iliad used bookstore in North Hollywood.  Mind boggling 

Edited by NoMan

Lived four years in Orange County.  For a Los Angeles first timer, you might enjoy:

- The dinner show at the Magic Castle

- The Chinese Theater

- Santa Monica pier

- The view from Mulholland Drive

- Hiking in the mountains (being in Orange County, we went often to the San Gabriels)

- Favorite Orange County beach: Corona del Mar in Newport Beach; also Balboa Island nearby

- The 26 mile boat trip to Catalina Island; on Catalina, hiking to the Wrigley estate

- The J. Paul Getty Museum above Malibu

- Huntington Gardens

The weather should be really nice the time of year you're going, very warm but not oppressively hot, although by that time it can sometimes rain. 

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Blah, blah, blah.  Los Angeles is among the most exciting cities on Earth.  Like anywhere else Use common sense.  

If you don’t like it, leave.  Please. “But, but, I can’t leave!”

No you can leave if you try hard enough.  And don’t let that door hit ya on the way out.   

Not everyone can leave... its 7:45am and I can think of three reasons people would not be able to leave a city. 

45 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Not everyone can leave... its 7:45am and I can think of three reasons people would not be able to leave a city. 

It’s 5:30am here and I can think of three reasons to leave a place you loath   

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Lived four years in Orange County.  For a Los Angeles first timer, you might enjoy:

- The dinner show at the Magic Castle

- The Chinese Theater

- Santa Monica pier

- The view from Mulholland Drive

- Hiking in the mountains (being in Orange County, we went often to the San Gabriels)

- Favorite Orange County beach: Corona del Mar in Newport Beach; also Balboa Island nearby

- The 26 mile boat trip to Catalina Island; on Catalina, hiking to the Wrigley estate

- The J. Paul Getty Museum above Malibu

- Huntington Gardens

The weather should be really nice the time of year you're going, very warm but not oppressively hot, although by that time it can sometimes rain. 

please be cautious if you go here. It really is a mess. Confused tourists with fat wallets, scams left and right. I feel the most unsafe in this city at The Chinese Theater and I've been a place or two in LA in 30 years. 

I imagine tourists can find beauty in any place they visit,touring and living in a place are vastly different things.

There is a safe injection zone in Toronto and junkies love dropping their needles a few blocks away near a :censored: park.

But tourists can visit the CN Tower ect ect