• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trip to LA (from Canada) advice

66 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, NoMan said:

It’s 5:30am here and I can think of three reasons to leave a place you loath   

You might be correct.  However, consider that there are many reasons why people cannot leave. 

The whole, "if you don't like it leave" argument does not work for me either, no matter who is saying it.  It never has, and it never will.  It is rudely dismissive and ignorant.  Sometimes if something is wrong, you recognize the problem and you fight to fix it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I lived in Los Angeles from 2010-2018, and it started out fine.  Over the years, I saw a huge increase in drug addicts and homeless that is being ignored by the city.  People who have lived there throughout their lives don't understand that this is not normal.  There are homeless and junkies everywhere, but not at the concentration as that place.

In my last year in the town, I had a gun pulled on me twice, and someone light up a crack pipe next to me on the red line, which I used to get to work.  All those happened in broad daylight.

As for comic stores, I liked Golden Apple (Hollywood), and Blast Off (North Hollywood).  You will find the prices higher there, and may not be interested in buying.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

You might be correct.  However, consider that there are many reasons why people cannot leave. 

The whole, "if you don't like it leave" argument does not work for me either, no matter who is saying it.  It never has, and it never will.  It is rudely dismissive and ignorant.  Sometimes if something is wrong, you recognize the problem and you fight to fix it. 

Ok, Buzz. I gotta go back to the Laundrymat cause the front end washer computer is still broken and i'm still waiting on repair guys so I'm off. I see your point. I think it's rude and dismissive to just call some 3 million folk here shallow and that LA (miles in every direction including mountains, beach, desert) stupid or sh*t or whatever. (I know the poster didn't but many do) Maybe what's wrong is whomever in this thread said LA was a bummer  hasn't tried to like it and recognize what it is or that or any other host of problems.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

I lived in Los Angeles from 2010-2018, and it started out fine.  Over the years, I saw a huge increase in drug addicts and homeless that is being ignored by the city.  People who have lived there throughout their lives don't understand that this is not normal.  There are homeless and junkies everywhere, but not at the concentration as that place.

In my last year in the town, I had a gun pulled on me twice, and someone light up a crack pipe next to me on the red line, which I used to get to work.  All those happened in broad daylight.

As for comic stores, I liked Golden Apple (Hollywood), and Blast Off (North Hollywood).  You will find the prices higher there, and may not be interested in buying.

again, i gotta go to laundry or wife will kill me. Upset over drug use (mad at all the bars around town and the drugs they sell?) and homeless is a problem not unique to la. But leave and go where you don't see the drugs (Booze and nicotine is fine, tho. right?) or some folk down on their luck which maybe someday you may be 3 paychecks away from. Mass shooting are an almost every week/month kinda thing. You gonna hate El Paso cause someone pointed a large capacity magazine gun at you? 

The homeless are not being ignored by the city and the city is on the cutting edge of many programs that are working. The VAST number of homeless have anything to do with anything else, ya think? Wonder why there are so many vacant apartments in LA? Anyways, off to laundryland

Edited by NoMan

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I think it's rude and dismissive to just call some 3 million folk here shallow and that LA (miles in every direction including mountains, beach, desert) stupid or sh*t or whatever. (I know the poster didn't but many do) 

With that part I agree with you.  I live in NY.  Many in the US generalize about New Yorkers so I understand that. 

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

again, i gotta go to laundry or wife will kill me. Upset over drug use (mad at all the bars around town and the drugs they sell?) and homeless is a problem not unique to la. But leave and go where you don't see the drugs (Booze and nicotine is fine, tho. right?) or some folk down on their luck which maybe someday you may be 3 paychecks away from. Mass shooting are an almost every week/month kinda thing. You gonna hate El Paso cause someone pointed a large capacity magazine gun at you? 

The homeless are not being ignored by the city and the city is on the cutting edge of many programs that are working. The VAST number of homeless have anything to do with anything else, ya think? Wonder why there are so many vacant apartments in LA? Anyways, off to laundryland

To clarify about drugs, I mean people smoking crack or meth in the street on a crowded sidewalk.  Alcohol and cigarettes had nothing to do with what I was saying.  That's just changing the subject to deflect my point.

I have no clue what El Paso or mass shootings has to do with what I said.  I was talking about being stuck up in broad daylight on a crowded street.

I'd honestly like to know about the cutting edge programs for the homeless, because all I saw was shooing them to other areas, and busing them out of town.

I took the family to LA last summer and I was surprised on how little drama we experienced.  Then again we stayed north of the city in Hollywood area.  We drove around quite a bit and although it was busier then Cleveland it was ok as long as you avoided rush hour.  Homeless where everywhere but nobody accosted us and I never felt threatened.  i didn't bother going to an comic shops since I assumed the prices would be sky high - I sell a ton of books to California buyers so they must think my prices are cheap from Ohio.  I actually enjoyed myself more in LA compared to San Diego just because of the constant cool things to go do and cool vibe.  Enjoy!  

21 minutes ago, D84 said:

To clarify about drugs, I mean people smoking crack or meth in the street on a crowded sidewalk.  Alcohol and cigarettes had nothing to do with what I was saying.  That's just changing the subject to deflect my point.

I have no clue what El Paso or mass shootings has to do with what I said.  I was talking about being stuck up in broad daylight on a crowded street.

I'd honestly like to know about the cutting edge programs for the homeless, because all I saw was shooing them to other areas, and busing them out of town.

It’s a comic board. So best just keep it at that. I’ll say this and move into pm if anyone wants to know what I think

You saw someone do drugs you don’t like, I’m assuming you see someone in a bar drinking and you’re cool with that drug so if it’s a drug you like than it’s ok, you see someone doing a drug you don’t like than they are bad undesirable people. 

Ever consider the person you saw smoking crack was in such pain it’s the only way they could cope?

the El Paso gun comparison thing was that guns are everywhere and can be stuck in your face anywhere  

pm if you’re serious about wanting to know what the city is attempting in its homeless services. My wife is a social worker and I spent two days ago walking with the mayor and his homeless team through homeless encampments in the la river   

To whomever brought up the safe injection site projects in Vancouver: where there more used needles in that park before the Safe injection site? Is the city Saving money by having a monitored injection site instead of calling fire/police/medical everytime someone ods   Prohibition doesn’t work. But ok let’s get rid of drugs, starting with the most dangerous of all according to the CDC: booze and nicotine.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, grebal said:

^ heard you guys might have the bubonic plague. ; )   Hold Avengers 196 a little longer.

What do you all think of the COLOR TOUCHED high grade looking copy of ASM 28 I recently obtained?CCI08132019_0006.thumb.jpg.433a9cf01e31d5d4d7409de2d70ab551.jpg:

i'm so bad at color touch. where is it. did seller say it was CT? Can you fix my washing machine?

Edited by NoMan

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i'm so bad at color touch. where is it. did seller say it was CT? Can you fix my washing machine?

Top or front loader?  Have you tried kicking it, but from the back this time?

No idea on the CT, here's the inside of front cover - nothing bleeding through, so CT must have been done by someone at least a skilled amateur.  Seller told me, and it looks too black and shiny so fails the 'smell test.'

IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.4c7437f1e57c13e66784e693f156e7b8.JPG

PS- look at the cool, fake, Ditko, written on splash.  Imagine this book in a CGC case P.L.O.D.: "Stan Lee written on cover. S. Ditko written bottom of splash". . .

Edited by grebal
sweet

10 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Nope, he’s right Bob.

Just this year I have had multiple unsettling experiences at Downtown L.A,, Hollywood Blvd., Staples Center, and North Hollywood. When I have friends come to L.A., I advise them to avoid L.A. (junkies, homeless, crazies, traffic, etc.) like the plague.

As mentioned, outlying areas are OK - Pasadena, Burbank, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, etc.  Just avoid the shi*thole that is Los Angeles.

isn't jay and silent bobs secret stash there? (Comic Book Men) TV show

37 minutes ago, grebal said:

Top or front loader?  Have you tried kicking it, but from the back this time?

No idea on the CT, here's the inside of front cover - nothing bleeding through, so CT must have been done by someone at least a skilled amateur.  Seller told me, and it looks too black and shiny so fails the 'smell test.'

IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.4c7437f1e57c13e66784e693f156e7b8.JPG

PS- look at the cool, fake, Ditko, written on splash.  Imagine this book in a CGC case P.L.O.D.: "Stan Lee written on cover. S. Ditko written bottom of splash". . .

Got to always wonder when you see a Ditko sig.  it’s like every example in of one a book could make an entire documentary film  

2 hours ago, NoMan said:
3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Ok, Buzz. I gotta go back to the Laundrymat cause the front end washer computer is still broken and i'm still waiting on repair guys so I'm off. I see your point. I think it's rude and dismissive to just call some 3 million folk here shallow and that LA (miles in every direction including mountains, beach, desert) stupid or sh*t or whatever. (I know the poster didn't but many do) Maybe what's wrong is whomever in this thread said LA was a bummer  hasn't tried to like it and recognize what it is or that or any other host of problems.

I'm actually with both of you on this.  First off my daughter goes to school in LA and I've loved it every time I visited. 

Plenty of fun things to do and places to go.  And in the time I've been there I haven't seen these crackheads on the street that were mentioned above.  They may exist, but it's not like you can't visit LA and not see them. 

On the other hand the whole "if you don't love it, leave it" thing is one that really grates on me.  I'm whole-heartedly in the "if you don't love it, try to fix it" camp.  

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

I'm actually with both of you on this.  First off my daughter goes to school in LA and I've loved it every time I visited. 

Plenty of fun things to do and places to go.  And in the time I've been there I haven't seen these crackheads on the street that were mentioned above.  They may exist, but it's not like you can't visit LA and not see them. 

On the other hand the whole "if you don't love it, leave it" thing is one that really grates on me.  I'm whole-heartedly in the "if you don't love it, try to fix it" camp.  

fair enough. point taken and I try to learn each and every day to become a better person. I'll stop using such phraseology. Question: The poster on this thread claiming to "hate it (Los Angeles) and move if he could" did he try to improve his surroundings as he saw fit here in LA or did he just sit on his a** stewing in his hate because those of us who do try to create betterments didn't make it good enough for him? He complains about the "junkies" and "homeless" while living in Los Angeles "his whole life.". Every lift a finger to help one? Ever imagine a mile in their shoes. Nah, they're just sh*t making a sh*thole. Maybe it's folks like this I'd just soon be outta here when I say "If you don't like it, go."

Edited by NoMan

57 minutes ago, grebal said:

I see the attraction of the 'love it or leave it.' You can't fight a tidal wave.  I loved NY for 47 years, but since 2011 came to love Texas better.  The tacos alone.  Plus, no snow.

: D

dude texas is weird. especially Buckey's. Place creeps me out