• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Merry Marvel Marching Society (MMMS)
2 2

113 posts in this topic

Haven't checked in on this thread for a while, so here's a belated answer to the question about girls in the MMMS.

Again, the caveat: the published lists represent only a fraction of the true number of members ("Richard Cohen" is unpublished, for example). Nevertheless, Maureen, Denise, Lucy, Debra, Cyndi and Elizabeth are in the first 400 names -- not many.

I do NOT have access to any of the girls' titles so I don't even know if the 25 MMMS members were even published in those books.  Any help would be appreciated!  That would be Millie the Model 130-158, Modeling With Millie 39-54, Patsy and Hedy 100-110 and Patsy Walker 121-125.

13 hours ago, ivrimark said:

I do NOT have access to any of the girls' titles so I don't even know if the 25 MMMS members were even published in those books.  Any help would be appreciated!  That would be Millie the Model 130-158, Modeling With Millie 39-54, Patsy and Hedy 100-110 and Patsy Walker 121-125.

The answer is no. As mentioned previously none of the romance books had the MMMS Wants You logo on cover. I’ve looked through the complete Millie run 130-158 and odd issues from other titles at random and they do not have the same in-house adds as superhero mags - no Marvel bulletin pages, no Stan’s soapbox and no MMMS adds or lists of MMMS members. 

On 8/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, ivrimark said:

So I’m that obsessive-compulsive fan who has indeed compiled a list of all the published Merry Marvel Marching Society (MMMS) members – 11,060 names in 493 comics!  It wasn’t feasible until the issues I lack, mostly western and war titles, have been recently archived online – Bullpen Bulletin page and all.

I do realize any owners of those names are now more than 60 years old -- if they’re still around, God bless ‘em  --  and a vast majority of them couldn’t care less about which comic may have featured their name in tiny, tiny type.  The scope of the task is dwarfed by the apathy.  Whatever.  It’s done.

Caveat:  many members’ names didn’t get published when Marvel stopped listing them in 1968. Getting your $1.00 refunded at this point is unlikely.

So now is where I’ll find out about the apathy.  If you’re interested, PM me your name and hometown (to be precise, the name and hometown you entered on your MMMS form in the 60’s) and we’ll see if I get a hit.  I don’t expect a deluge.

(Thanks, Ameri, for starting this topic back in 2015!)

On 1/16/2021 at 12:20 PM, Ron Hodgen said:

Can you see Ronald Hodgen, joined in 1965?

Curiosity question:  when you joined and realized that Marvel was publishing select names and addresses were you checking every month to see if your name was published?

On 8/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, KirbyJack said:

Those drawings are wild! Hulkie looks like he can't walk, and Fury looks like The Mindworm. The Spidey pose is familiar, but I can't place it. Pretty fun!

That Spidey pose was used for the Marx plastic figures circa mid 60s...

Another curiosity question:  was the list of members the same in all books for any given month?  For example:  if I look at Fantastic Four cover dated say Nov 1965 - does the same list of members appear in Daredevil cover dated Nov 1965; and in Spider-Man cover dated Nov 1965; and in... etc?

Nice to see that "Ron Hodgen" did indeed have his name published. :banana:

Pemart1966, I can answer both your curiosity questions together:  Ron would have had to look through every different Marvel title each month, because indeed the lists were different in each comic.  By my count, 493 different comics published from 1965-1968.  In a very few cases, maybe a half-dozen, the exact list of 25 repeated in a different title on sale around the same time.  But there are MANY names that appeared in different lists over the years -- some members were in 6 or 8 different comics!

What a wonderful topic! I've been hoping someone would eventually put together a list of MMMS members for years and years. I sent Marvel a buck back in 1965 to join. I was in elementary school. I also later ordered their stationary kit, and later some tee shirts. I always hoped to see my name published, but after 56 years and looking through hundreds of comics, no luck. Thanks very much to Mr. IVRIMARK for his efforts!

12 hours ago, Garystar said:

4F92BD23-1B62-467E-827A-222622005CA4.thumb.jpeg.1d1293dbce3caf7ff164b60f01fdcb7c.jpeg
E2CF2E76-8E81-4C0F-A4D5-7B9960FFD73C.thumb.jpeg.a95fb046234587fe421ebbf42d5b4822.jpeg

498C0CA8-1F67-4479-B023-F3A97AD0279E.thumb.jpeg.c795a97ef4e6bb269466c192df549559.jpeg

I hope you remembered to add your MMMS membership number when you  ordered the stationery kit in which case you got the bonus notepad......

B65386E3-5933-440B-9706-560A42490166.thumb.jpeg.da81c0324db8fcff289eef2e800e5ffb.jpeg

That's marvelous! I'm lucky that in the early days of eBay (circa 1998) I was able to procure another complete MMMS membership and stationary kit at a reasonable price. I also found an unused Thor plastic pillow from 1968. As I mentioned the only survivor from my original 1965 buy was the red "I belong..." pinback. My late mother saved it for me for decades. Everything else got used up or tossed out. It's disappointing that they omitted my name from membership publication in any issues. I would've thought that being an early member, I had a shot. But, I'd bet they didn't actually publish a fraction of the member's names. I also sent a fan letter to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko about the1965 Spider-man comic stories that was never published or acknowledged either. Such is life! 

Hello old Marvelite buddies! Something is bugging me about a 1960s comics story I remember but cannot resolve. In Tales to Astonish #74 the Leader dies after using the Watcher's all powerful machine. His dead body is seen again on the splash page of TTA #75. But I distinctly remember one panel from either Avengers, TTA or another Marvel comic around the same time also announcing he was dead and showing the Leader's corpse in his orbiting space lab. We all know the Leader was secretly revived and returned in IH #115. But this mystery cameo appearance of his corpse from 1965 seems to be unlocatable. I have most of the books from the 1965 Marvel period, but can't find it. Can any of you folks please help me out? Thanks!