• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

A number of factors have impeded the progress on Star Wars TV series, with the coronavirus pandemic being the major cause for problems behind the scenes on the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story prequel series and Obi-Wan Kenobi series, with a new rumor from Bespin Bulletin shedding light on how the two series could debut in 2022. Prior to the pandemic, reports emerged that the Obi-Wan series was undergoing some creative changes regardless of the pandemic, while the series focusing on Cassian Andor and K-2SO was rumored to have already started filming earlier this year when the pandemic thwarted those plans.

"They were touring Summer/Fall 2021 up until the COVID delay for Cassian," Bespin Bulletin shared on Twitter. "I believe Cassian is filming until July 2021. Kenobi should wrap around the same time, maybe a month later. So yeah, Spring, Summer and Fall seems right for SW D+ stuff in 2022. Exciting times."

Just this week, it was confirmed that Tony Gilroy, who was slated to direct the Rogue One prequel, was being replaced by Black Mirror director Toby Haynes. Understandably, this caused some concerns for fans that there might be troubles with the production, though it was confirmed that the reason was due to travel restrictions caused by the pandemic, as Gilroy lives in New York while Haynes is based in the UK where the series is shooting. The production won't entirely be upended, as Gilroy endorsed the filmmaker and with Haynes having previously been tapped to direct later entries into the series, with Gilroy still serving as the series' showrunner and as an executive producer.

The Illuminerdi has some new information on who may be joining Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi in his upcoming series coming to Disney+ in a galaxy far, far away!

CASTING DETAILS FOR OBI-WAN SERIES
Currently there are four new roles casting for the upcoming series, with one being listed as a co-lead to McGregor’s Obi-Wan Kenobi:

• Riley (aka Eve) Female (20-25) CO-LEAD – A female BIPOC whose character details are being kept under wraps
  • Tia Female (30s) SUPPORTING – BIPOC
  • Harold Male (Late 20s-30s) SUPPORTING – A quirky, comedic male
  • Bella Female (40s) SUPPORTING – Latinx

It is safe to say the character names are likely placeholders, but the Obi-Wan series is primed to introduce a very diverse cast to this long awaited project. The Illuminerdi can also report that three actresses have received callbacks for the key co-lead role of Riley. These actresses are Thuso Mbedu, Anula Navlekar, and Naomi Scott.

Audiences will recognize Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine in Disney’s live action Aladdin, Kim Hart (Pink Ranger) in Power Rangers, and Elena Houghlin in Charlie’s Angels. She would be the actress with the highest profile to secure the “Riley” role, if Lucasfilm so chooses.

Thuso Mbedu is a South African actress who was nominated for an International Emmy Award for her role in Is’thunzi and will soon star in Barry Jenkins’ limited series The Underground Railroad on Amazon Video.

Anula Navlekar is a relative unknown who recently graduated from the Yale School of Drama.

Over the summer, The Illuminerdi reported that the Obi-Wan series was to begin production in March of 2021. This is now confirmed but initial production will begin in the U.K. rather than Los Angeles.

The series has been ordered for six episodes and is currently being conceived as a limited series. It will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Carrie Beck, and Deborah Chow. Deborah Chow will direct the series. While no official release date has been set, it is believed that the Obi-Wan series will debut on Disney+ in 2022.

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Carrie Beck, and Deborah Chow. Deborah Chow will direct the series. While no official release date has been set, it is believed that the Obi-Wan series will debut on Disney+ in 2022.

It would be more reassuring if Dave Filoni was listed on the list of producers. 

I guess it is possible that he is being brought in after the success of the Mandalorian, and his creative input is what caused the delay to re-work the --script. A boy can dream

Edited by awakeintheashes

37 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

It would be more reassuring if Dave Filoni was listed on the list of producers. 

If he's not involved my expectations immediately plummet.  I can only assume these new series will suffer from the same problem we've had since Disney bought Lucasfilm that if whatever creators they assign to any given show do a good job then great, but if they don't there's no oversight since Kathleen Kennedy has proven she can't do that job.

I'm hoping Iger has directed Feige to double-check behind her, but I've heard no specific indication he's doing that.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If he's not involved my expectations immediately plummet.  I can only assume these new series will suffer from the same problem we've had since Disney bought Lucasfilm that if whatever creators they assign to any given show do a good job then great, but if they don't there's no oversight since Kathleen Kennedy has proven she can't do that job.

I'm hoping Iger has directed Feige to double-check behind her, but I've heard no specific indication he's doing that.

Totally agree. Given Favreau's track record with Marvel/Disney, my hope is that he realized what a talent Filoni is by working with him on Mandalorian and communicated that to Feige and the higher-ups. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

The Star Wars series centered on Obi-Wan Kenobi at Disney+ is adding to its cast.

Game of Thrones and For Life veteran Indira Varma will star in the series opposite Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christiansen, who will reprise their roles as, respectively, Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his former pupil, now the Sith lord Darth Vader.

In keeping with the cone of silence surrounding the show, details about Varma's character aren't being released at the moment. The series is expected to fall in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope in the Star Wars timeline.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

obi-wan-kenobi-cast.thumb.jpeg.0d8cba74bd2ab9857bcbdaaa7bd6f7fb.jpeg

This could be even better than Mando.   I worry that expectations though are too high for this.  Obi-Wan really was the best thing to come out of the prequels in my opinion.  

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

This could be even better than Mando.   I worry that expectations though are too high for this.  Obi-Wan really was the best thing to come out of the prequels in my opinion.  

Rupert Friend is awesome. Interested to know he’s playing. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

obi-wan-kenobi-cast.thumb.jpeg.0d8cba74bd2ab9857bcbdaaa7bd6f7fb.jpeg

I haven’t followed any rumors on this, but could Indira Varma and Kumail Nanjiani be playing Ezra’s parents? They were some of first to rebel against the empire - long before there was an organized rebellion. This could help set the stage for early days of the rebellion and familiarize new audiences with Ezra, or at least his family, before he appears in Ahsoka (if he does).