• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever order original art from RomitaMan site?
2 2

42 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I bought a piece of Gil Kane art from the Romitaman site, and had consistent communication with the seller, right up until I paid.  Now I have asked for delivery details on several occasions, and get nothing back.

Anyone have similar experiences...looks like a trustworthy site, but this sort of behavior concerns me.

3 minutes ago, SteveMullins said:

Hi guys,

I bought a piece of Gil Kane art from the Romitaman site, and had consistent communication with the seller, right up until I paid.  Now I have asked for delivery details on several occasions, and get nothing back.

Anyone have similar experiences...looks like a trustworthy site, but this sort of behavior concerns me.

I've never purchased from Romitaman.  Long time OA dealer.  Unlikely he's gonna scam you although there was a recent thread about him shilling his auctions.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I've never purchased from Romitaman.  Long time OA dealer.  Unlikely he's gonna scam you although there was a recent thread about him shilling his auctions.

I wasn't too concerned about getting scammed, since I paid with a Credit Card...but he was a bit encouraging of me sending him a check to avoid fees, which I get...but something I would never do on a first transaction.  Add that to him going no contact, and I was getting a bit nervous.  It never helps when you're dying to receive the product...in any case, many thanks for responding!

34 minutes ago, vodou said:

Your concerns will not be a problem with Romitaman, something normal and explainable, likely real life stuff, is going on nothing more. You'll surely hear back shortly.

I'm confident I'll hear back soon...just concerning, he was very responsive initially, but after payment...nothing.

18 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I've had good experiences with him too.  But if he's busy at conventions, his responses maybe slow.

If there's a concern, you can always call him (the number is listed on Romitaman.com).  But he's usually pretty good about shipping items out quickly.

Man, I hate talking on the phone these days!  But I get it...looks like it might be time to make a call.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

1 hour ago, SteveMullins said:

Man, I hate talking on the phone these days!  But I get it...looks like it might be time to make a call.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Whoa dude, zero worries, it's alright to chill on this.  He's very busy, often at conventions etc.  One time I paid and got zero confirmation.  Didn't bother following up, and received the art within a week (he uses a quick shipping method a la priority).

Longtime dealers like him, reputation is more than worth its weight in gold.  They can email a lot when they're free, radio silence when busy, then back to normal again.

Edited by exitmusicblue

27 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

How much time has elapsed between your order and now?  His standard delivery method etc may be on his website.  Did you check there?

I paid on 8/6, and when I didn't get anything for a few days, emailed him to let him know I paid...that was on 8/9.  He replied that he received the payment, but nothing more.  A few days later, I requested any updates...nothing.  Few days later same...nothing.  Sent something earlier today too, hoping for some info.  Only concerning thing, he was quick to reply before I purchased...even proactive in communication in some cases.  After purchase, things went dark on me.  My purchase was likely small potatoes to him, $1300...but was hoping to just get something quick...let me know I'm not forgotten.

15 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Whoa dude, zero worries, it's alright to chill on this.  He's very busy, often at conventions etc.  One time I paid and got zero confirmation.  Didn't bother following up, and received the art within a week (he uses a quick shipping method a la priority).

Longtime dealers like him, reputation is more than worth its weight in gold. 

Nothing would make me happier than to go home, and see the piece!  I have no doubt it will arrive, but communication would be nice!  I bought a motorcycle last year from Virginia...took 3 months to make it to me in Florida...but at least they kept replying to me...it's coming, it's coming!

I've completed a couple trades with Mike at Romitaman, with me sending in the pieces first and then him sending out after. Agreed with a previous poster, probably some real life things came up that kept him from responding. I echo others here in that you can have ease of mind when buying from him.

2 hours ago, SteveMullins said:

I wasn't too concerned about getting scammed, since I paid with a Credit Card...but he was a bit encouraging of me sending him a check to avoid fees, which I get...but something I would never do on a first transaction.  Add that to him going no contact, and I was getting a bit nervous.  It never helps when you're dying to receive the product...in any case, many thanks for responding!

Sending a check to Romitaman is fine but understand that's a negotiating point too prior to locking it down, as in his fees saved are also your fees saved ;)