• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Where Monsters Dwell 1

21 posts in this topic

I would not normally send in a reprint for grading, but this one is so nice that I can't resist.  Such a cool cover too.

What do you think ...... how high can this go?

I only see one light spine tic.  Will that spine tic take me out of 9.8 consideration?

It's a purdy comic.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, silversufer27 said:

I don't think its worth grading because its not worth much and I dont know if thats some color break in the right corner but if its not 9.8 I guess 

So if I get a 9.8 (which I think I have a shot at).... the last one sold for $1500.

Is that what you mean by not worth much?

I will be shocked if I get anything under 9.6

19 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

*And* that's on a consignment item. Which are often grossly overpriced.

GPA shows the last 9.8 sold for $1550 in 2016.  That might be grossly over paid, but it still sets a mark for 9.8.  I'm taking a chance on this one getting a 9.8.  It's super nice.  I can't imagine it grading under 9.6.

Even at 9.6 it'll be at least a $250 comic.

All I'm saying is.... Silversurfer27 says it's not even worth grading.  I bought this for $15.  I spent $8 for a press and $25 for a slab.  I don't think that's outrageous for a $250 - $1500 comic.  Of course if it comes back as a 7.0 I'm screwed.

Edited by gadzukes

Agree that if it gets a 9.6 it might eventually be worth $250. Might have to wait a while for it, but... And if it was me and I thought I could get a 9.6+ I'd totally go for the slab. Just saw the $1550 you mentioned earlier and it kind of knocked me off guard.

Edited by WPPJames

6 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Agree that if it gets a 9.6 it might eventually be worth $250. Might have to wait a while for it, but... And if it was me and I thought I could get a 9.6+ I'd totally go for the slab. Just saw the $1550 you mentioned earlier and it kind of knocked me off guard.

It's pretty rare that I see a bronze age comic that I genuinely think could get a 9.8.  This is one.  So I thought I'd take a chance on it.

If I get a 9.6 I'll be fine with it.

If I get a 9.4 or less I'll be bummed.

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Joey, your opinion means a lot to me.  Looking at my pics how do you think this looks?

I think  it is a solid 9.4 with a shot at 9.6. Doubt it is 9.8 material but scans sometimes are worse looking compared to the book in hand. 

The outside variable it the ability of the person cleaning and pressing the book. 

On 12/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, gadzukes said:

It's coming back as a 9.4 with WHITE pages.

Dang, I really wanted a 9.6 on this one. :cry:

Still a nice book with WHITE pages.

Did you get the grader notes? I'm curious to what they say.I sent in a modern Thor that had the spine stressed all to and it came back a 9.8.That looks way better than a 9.4