• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Summer Featured Auction has started
3 3

70 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, grapeape said:

Classy Marie Severin. Amazes me that with all the free border space someone had Stan Lee write his "hard to get" signature on the art. At least it's not over Subby's face.

RAD408D52019730_10583.jpg

That's about the least offensive STAN or anybody signature I've seen. I generally hate that stuff, to the point of passing on things sometimes...but not this time. No biggie imo.

5 hours ago, vodou said:

That's about the least offensive STAN or anybody signature I've seen. I generally hate that stuff, to the point of passing on things sometimes...but not this time. No biggie imo.

It does look like Subby ran into a few sailors, drank too much and got Stan's named tattooed on his arm. Hey could've been worse-- had it placed on his lower back.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

With all of the talk about Heritage Auctions recently, I think the start of the Clink Featured auction kind of slipped by everyone's notice.  It started Thursday, and as usual, has a few pieces of interest for me.

Here's the linky: https://comiclink.com/Auctions/allsub.asp?Focused=1&id=1398

Good luck, and happy collecting (thumbsu

Bumping this up since CL auction is ending just after the long weekend... and folks will probably forget. 

Moon Knight #39 Cover...published verison versus the 'I don't know what?' version...

...the auction description does not make any mention of the compositional discrepancies...

Would any of you here describe the version being offered as the 'Cover' to the issue?

Does that verbage loosely imply that the art is the 'published' version?

630643.jpg

RAD1B66C2019529_165539.jpg

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

Moon Knight #39 Cover...published verison versus the 'I don't know what?' version...

...the auction description does not make any mention of the compositional discrepancies...

Would any of you here describe the version being offered as the 'Cover' to the issue?

Does that verbage loosely imply that the art is the 'published' version?

630643.jpg

RAD1B66C2019529_165539.jpg

I took a look at the auction description.  There is no ambiguity in my mind, it is listed as being the published cover.

Published covers can differ from the original art for various reasons.  I can't comment in this particular case, since I don't follow the artist or title.

Unfortunately, due to shenanigans from people (e.g.  slapping on cover dress on a modern sketch and calling it a vintage unused cover) I do pay extra attention when buying unused cover, but this one is listed as being the actual cover.

Malvin

On 9/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, glendgold said:

I am a fan of that Ditko Monster Menace cover. That strikes me as a steep reserve but at the same time I'd be totally unsurprised if it got triggered.  It looks like he was having fun with it. 

You might say a “monster reserve.”    I like it too but I don’t think it will sell given the 1994 dateline

Just wanted to make note of a slight discrepancy in the description of this Adventures into the Unknown cover I have in tonight's auction. The image is listed as 14"x17" because the top stats are professionally made reproductions. In person, you'll see that the image area's more like 20-21". Those of you familiar with the old ACG covers know how big they can be!

I believe the work was done by Robert Dennis, which probably cost more than the current high bid. So, I think someone's going to get a good deal on it tonight!

Adventures into unknown.jpg

25 minutes ago, DJRome said:

Just wanted to make note of a slight discrepancy in the description of this Adventures into the Unknown cover I have in tonight's auction. The image is listed as 14"x17" because the top stats are professionally made reproductions. In person, you'll see that the image area's more like 20-21". Those of you familiar with the old ACG covers know how big they can be!

I believe the work was done by Robert Dennis, which probably cost more than the current high bid. So, I think someone's going to get a good deal on it tonight!

Adventures into unknown.jpg

The current bid is $950. So it costs more than $1k to make a stat? :| 

37 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

The current bid is $950. So it costs more than $1k to make a stat? :| 

I believe it was cleaned along with the stat work. Getting that professionally done is not cheap.

That said, I thought the price was still in the $650 range. I think you could get Dennis to do the work for under $950, but you'd have to ask him to be sure.

3 hours ago, DJRome said:

I believe it was cleaned along with the stat work. Getting that professionally done is not cheap.

That said, I thought the price was still in the $650 range. I think you could get Dennis to do the work for under $950, but you'd have to ask him to be sure.

Oh ok — that makes a lot more sense if the cost also includes a cleaning. Good luck with the auction!

Hate to ask this but.......i bought this piece in the last comiclink.... and returned it back to Josh at the san diego comic con, as the cover which  was stated as all painted art. was to my eyes, actually 12 color glossy photos or post cards glued onto a piece of foam core.

i showed it to 3-4 collectors in san diego before returned it.. (in case i was missing something...)  everyone agreed with me that it was not painted art  just original pictures i guess???? 

......i just noticed the piece was back up for auction again  this past night as tonight was the first time i looked at the full auction....

this lot has the listing for the cover below as being painted art....i'm hoping this was just an honest error.....I feel the new owner should know..

(it did sell for more last night  than what i paid for it in the previous auction).

1990, Unique painted collage image of the many faces of Swamp Thing

ComicLink Comments:
This collage art by painter Tom Taggart was published as the cover to Swamp Thing #101 (1990). Photos are of a model made by Taggart. The piece features the many faces of Swamp Thing in an eye-catching design. Swamp Thing has been a part of DC Universe now for almost five decades, often attracting many of the top creators in the field to tell his stories.

Edited by romitaman

I hope the buyer of the Sienkiewicz Conan piece noticed that very last sentence at the very bottom of the description about double sticky tape being on the artwork from a previous matting that was used while it was framed.

How someone can use double sticky tape is a mystery to me. How can you be so brutal to the art ?

Last time it was auctioned it sold with BP for 9000, this time it even exceeded that price and that was after the disclosure of the tape.