• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgrading Practices
3 3

22 posts in this topic

Hello!  

I'm curious how some of you go about "upgrading" your books.  

For example, let's say you own a 7.5 and want to get a 9.2.  

Assuming you need to sell one to get the other, do you typically sell the 7.5 first in order to have cash toward the next, or do you buy the 9.2 in hopes of selling the 7.5 for a decent price?

Do you try to take "grade steps?"  Meaning...go from 7.5 to 8.5 and then 8.5 to 9.2, etc.?   Or is it more financially prudent to just make the leap to whatever highest grade you can afford at the time?

I realize a lot of this is budget contingent and a bit of risk/reward strategy, but I'm curious what methods generally seem to work for improving the favorite books in your collection :)

I try to trade up as my first option so as not to lose 3% to paypal (and up to 10% to ebay) on the sale of my under-copy (basically trades might allow me to apply full value of my book to my trade, but not always).  I have had a few successful trades here on the boards, but admittedly, it isn't always easy putting a trade deal together.  The successful trade deals require a lot of luck and good timing to find a match with someone.  If that doesn't work, eventually I will try to purchase the higher grade copy first before selling my under-copy.

1 minute ago, wombat said:

I buy the upgrade first, say I'm going to sell the undercopy and then never sell the undecopy. S I got that going for me. 

This is what I usually do too, Buy the upgrade first. 

I’ll usually try to get the upgrade first, but in some cases where it might be a 3 or 4k book, that isn’t easy for me.  I’d have to sell the under copy first and then add cash to get the upgrade.

In my experience, “cash is king”.  I’ve found it’s much easier to negotiate with a stack of cash than a lower grade book and a little cash towards the upgrade.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Normally if my customers buy CGC books from me they can trade up at the price the paid on their original purchase towards the newly negotiated price on the higher grade.  If the book that they bought has gone up where that makes no sense they can use my consignment service to sell it and apply the proceeds toward the higher graded copy.

What is your company name Bob?  I am new to this community :)

There are so many comics that I still need that I rarely upgrade.  If I have a copy that fits my criteria it goes off my radar.  If I do happen to find a higher grade issue that I must have it always is bought before I sell the under copy.  Or more than likely just sits in my collection until there is a charity thread or holiday Secret Santa thing.

If possible, always compare the "upgrade" to your first one side by side sometimes it won't be the upgrade you hoped for.  (colors, a defect you can't unsee, centering etc).

For golden age sometimes it can be a few years and then some until the right upgrade is available, so most only sell their undercopies after they have the upgrade in hand.

3 hours ago, wombat said:

I buy the upgrade first, say I'm going to sell the undercopy and then never sell the undecopy. So I got that going for me. 

I had a book that I had a really rough raw copy of.  I got a CGC 9.0 of it in a ComicLink auction.  The problem is, I don’t really get much enjoyment out of the slabbed copy, but don’t want to burn the value by cracking it out.  So I’m on the lookout for a good deal on a nice F/VF raw copy.  Then I will have three copies of the book and will probably never get around to selling the extras.

TLDR: Online sales tax has made short term upgrading too expensive.

Upgrading has gotten way more expensive for people in high sales tax states that are charged online tax.

For example, if I were to sell my $5,000 (copy A) comic to upgrade to another (copy B) also at $5,000 but live in a 10% sales tax state...

A same priced upgrade will cost me an additional $1,750 (35%) Sales tax twice, and 15% selling fees.

The 15% was sometimes gained from appreciation or an acceptable penalty.

I find a 35% increase just to break even too much of a demand on our dear old undercopies.  

my 2c